Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

73-77 F250 4x4 Winter Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:48 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Got the Hydroboost Valve and Master Cylinder installed.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:19 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Did you have to open up the holes for those studs? I just did the same thing so my front 60 would match my rear 80 on my crew and I had to ream the holes in the hub just slightly to get them to seat.

Dig those M/T valve covers.

Edit: never mind about the studs...it helps when you actually comprehend what you read.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:29 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
Did you have to open up the holes for those studs? I just did the same thing so my front 60 would match my rear 80 on my crew and I had to ream the holes in the hub just slightly to get them to seat.

Dig those M/T valve covers.

Edit: never mind about the studs...it helps when you actually comprehend what you read.
Thanks Grinner, I really like the M/T Covers as well. I got a pretty good deal on them on ebay a while back. I need to pull the drivers side cover and remove the knockout for the breather. I failed to do that originally and forgot about it when I excitedly bolted them down the first time.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:06 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
I had a few hours to kill at the shop today.

I got the Red-Head box in place.

I got the hydroboost lines routed. (The old original 94 F-Super Duty lines) This is not the final set-up, the next time I am home I will take them and get some new hoses made up and run them on the driver's side of the master cylinder for more valve cover clearance.

And I got the new carb bolted down.

I am not sure if I'll have a chance to work on it again before I head back to work on Friday morning or not.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:06 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
No time to work on the truck yesterday.

I have a question about the little canister attached to the hydroboost valve. The one I have seems to be loose and will rotate also. It is stamped "compressed gas" around the outside of it as well. Was I sold a bad unit or is that normal?

Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
Really nice thread
Maybe this will help
If you are dealing with a vehicle that uses a hydroboost braking system found on certain BMW, Jaguar and Audi models, such as 1980-1992 BMW 7-series, 1983-1992 BMW 533 and 535 models, 1982-1989 BMW 6-series, 1988-1989 Jaguar XJ-6, or 1984-1992 Audi 5000, 100 and 200 models, this might interest you.

Consider the following sequence of events: A 1988 BMW 735 is brought in with a set of brake-related complaints. When the car is first started, the brake pedal is high and hard, and the car wants to creep forward in gear unless a really heavy foot is used on the pedal. After driving a block or so, the brakes feel normal and seem to operate fine. While waiting at a traffic light with the car in gear, the pedal suddenly sinks, often with a jerking, stepwise motion. A quick pump on the pedal brings it back to normal height, but it is hard again. Rolling down the street, the brakes feel fine once more, but a quick stab of the pedal to avoid a car pulling into the lane ahead causes a "Brake Pressure" warning light in the instrument cluster to come on briefly. Symptoms of these sorts may come and go with changing driving conditions.

The car owner is not sure when the symptoms began to appear, but he knows that they have suddenly become much worse. Initial inspection of the brake system does not show anything obviously wrong. The fluid is topped up and clear; no leaks are visible, and pads and rotors are all in good condition. A tech who is unfamiliar with this car's braking system may readily come to the conclusion that the master cylinder has worn seals that are allowing internal leakage, causing the pedal to drop. This does nothing to explain the intermittent high and hard pedal, but it seems a good place to start. Unfortunately, if the master cylinder is replaced, the problems that the car was brought in for will remain.

What the technician needs to know is that this car has a brake booster system unlike the one found in most other cars, and that malfunctions of this system may cause all of the symptoms mentioned above. The car has no vacuum booster; instead, it has a power steering pump (or in the case of the Jaguar, a separate engine-driven pump) that also supplies pressure for braking assist. The brakes need to have boost available for emergency situations even when the engine has died while driving, so there needs to be a reservoir to hold pressure. This reservoir is called the brake pressure accumulator.

The accumulator is a hollow, thick-walled steel ball or cylinder with a flexible diaphragm dividing the interior into two chambers. One chamber is completely sealed and pressurized with nitrogen to approximately 1,100 psi. The other has an inlet for power steering fluid that is pumped in until the nitrogen pressure in the accumulator is over 2,000 psi and the fluid fills a large part of the accumulator's interior volume. The accumulator is mounted on a valve block that controls the direction of flow - from the pump into the accumulator and out of the accumulator to the booster. When the brake pedal is pressed, a valve is opened in the booster that admits pressure from the accumulator to the back side of the booster piston, pushing it forward to operate the master cylinder. Due to the high pressures involved, the actual volume flowing from the accumulator to the booster is very small. This means that a good accumulator can store enough reserve pressure for several emergency stops, even with the engine not running.

With a bad accumulator the story is very different. If the accumulator loses its internal pressure, or a part of it, it also loses the reserve capacity for emergency stops. If it loses enough pressure, eventually it will not be able to supply the booster for even one stop without falling below the minimum working pressure. This turns on the warning light and causes a loss of boost, resulting in a hard brake pedal and increased braking effort. When the internal pressure of the accumulator approaches about 525 psi minimum, an alternately hard and soft pedal may be encountered, as the power steering pump will be able to keep the pressure above the minimum until the brakes have been operated for a certain time, then a loss of boost will occur as it falls below the minimum. This is when the stepwise sinking of the pedal mentioned above will be noticed.

Also due to very high pressures, special pressure gauges and hoses are needed to test this system, and most shops don't have them unless a large proportion of their shop volume consists of cars with hydroboost systems.

A simple and accurate test for a failed or failing accumulator can be made without special equipment. If the car is run at idle for a couple of minutes without the brake pedal being pressed, then the engine is shut off, a new accumulator should allow at least 12 pumps of the pedal (and possibly as many as 20) before it comes up high and hard, indicating loss of boost. A high, hard pedal on the first pump, or even after four to five pumps, indicates an accumulator that has failed or is failing and should be replaced.

Replacement of the brake pressure accumulator is a straightforward procedure that involves unscrewing the accumulator from the valve block, or in some cases, replacing the accumulator and valve block as a unit. Before loosening the accumulator or fittings, be sure to pump the brake pedal at least 20 times to bleed off any residual pressure, otherwise you may be wearing power steering fluid while finishing the job. Always be sure to follow the manufacturer's recommendation regarding steering fluid specifications. Top up the fluid in the reservoir only after running the engine. Pump the brake pedal until it is hard to bleed as much fluid as possible back into the reservoir; otherwise it might overflow during emergency braking conditions. No bleeding of the system is necessary.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:45 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Thanks redroad.

Looks like the canister is the accumulator and I will have to wait to see how it acts once the truck is up and running.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:42 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
I got the parts ordered up for the fittings I need to go from the fuel pump to the filter and then on to the carb feed line.

I am hoping to have some time the next time I am home to get the brakes finished and bled, as well as finish the fuel line, stab the distributor and get it fired up.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:56 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
You are so close .. So to keep those wheels turning for your next build .. Here you go

Old 04-08-2013, 11:15 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
I was able to squeeze some time into the truck over the last week or so.
I got the hoses redone for the hydroboost, finished up the brakes. I dropped in the distributor, re-gapped the plugs, primed the fuel system, hooked up the wires and she fired up on the first turn of the key.

A bit rough, but she fired. now the steps of tuning will come into play. Hopefully I have time before I have to head back to work on Friday morning.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:53 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
I was able to break out the timing light before I headed out of town Friday morning. It was running rough because the timing was way to retarded. I got a pretty nasty backfire through the carb too (hope I didn't blow the power valve in the new QFT carb). I still need to get everything dialed in with a vac gauge, but she atleast starts and runs.

With the timing light, I set the timing to 12 BTDC and she idles way better. I am going to order a piston stop tool and some timing tape to make sure the timing marks are correct and easier to read.

I may pull the distrubutor and advance it one tooth because I had to turn it a lot to get it where it is now and it is binding up the plug wires a bit.

This sounds like too simple of a question and I am sure I am over thinking it....

Does it matter which post on the distributor cap I use as #1, or does it only matter that I have them in the correct firing order?

Old 04-13-2013, 06:40 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Back on all 4's and running again. Doesn't look any different, but hey, we like pics right....

Also got the rear bumber quickly bolted up. I still have to try and get the twist out of it and do some bracket work so that it mounts with more than 2 bolts. This was mainly just to get it off the shop floor.

Quick Rant.... The mid 90's rear bumper did not mount up as well as I had hoped for....

Old 04-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
boy looking good, ya dont dig that rear bumper, lets weld you up a custom one that can take a beating. let me know when you get some metal.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:17 AM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AK FORD GUY
Back on all 4's and running again. Doesn't look any different, but hey, we like pics right....

Also got the rear bumber quickly bolted up. I still have to try and get the twist out of it and do some bracket work so that it mounts with more than 2 bolts. This was mainly just to get it off the shop floor.

Quick Rant.... The mid 90's rear bumper did not mount up as well as I had hoped for....
Nice looking rig, are you sitting on a highboy chassis? I see a divorced t-case.......x2 with b-uno your truck deserves a better rear bumper.....those 80/90's bumpers are just "weak" in structure and looks.....

Old 04-14-2013, 09:42 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Thanks for the honest replies guys.

I have a much nicer bumper, but it needs some modifications done to it before it'll mount up. It is a very large drop bumper that is also very deep. I think it has close to a 12" flat surface at the top and extends down about 12"s as well. If I remember correctly it is a bit too wide for this truck and needs to be trimmed down. It is fabricated fron 1/4" stainless plate, which is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing, because it'll last a real long time, but a curse because I do not have provissions to weld stainless.

Quick Reply: 73-77 F250 4x4 Winter Project