Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine shuts off when driving and won't restart?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Ben_Ford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine shuts off when driving and won't restart?

1996 F150xl, longbed, 4.9L 6cyl, auto, factory dual tanks... While driving the engine suddenly stops running without any warning. Just like someone turned off the key. It will not restart, ever!...until it sits undisturbed for at least an hour. After the hour it fires right up like nothing ever happened and runs great. It always runs great, until it dies.
<O
I don't loose gauges, or lights, or power of any kind. Everything appears normal except the engine shuts off. It can happen on a sunny day or a cold day, after driving for 10 minutes or for 4 hours. I have had it happen 4 times in a week and 8 months apart.
<O></O>
I have changed the engine temp sensor, oxy sensors, ignition control unit, rotor, cap, wires, plugs, vapor recovery valve, vapor recovery tank, gas caps, checked the fuel pressure, and every wire connection I could find.
<O></O>
One thing it is not, is fuel. I tried this a few times; when it dies I pull off the duct between the air filter and the fuel injection and squirt in some gas. I can crank the heck out of it, and nothing. BUT, it starts right up after sitting.
<O></O>
Do I need a new computer or an exorcist? I am desperate for a fix on this.
Although it has a 170k, it is in excellent condition, doesn’t leak or use a drop of oil.
<O></O>
I sure could use some input on this one. Thanks!

Ben

Old 09-08-2009, 04:07 PM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have you check for codes? if not this may tell ya how to do it
ford fuel injection .com ~type that into your browser and see if they got a self check
you did say ya changed out the ignition module right? a 96 is on the fender well I think

Old 09-08-2009, 04:31 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
It could be the computer or the PIP sensor.
Next time it happens pull the SPOUT out and see if it will start. If it does it is the computer that is bad.
If not change the distributor, a lot easer then changing the PIP sensor.
The ICM very seldom goes bad in theses trucks, if they sold you the wrong GRAY ICM take it off and put your Black one back on and it will run better than with the GRAY one.