6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
View Poll Results: Would you buy a first year run 6.7 Scorpion Diesel?
Yes, I would buy one.
44.83%
No, I would not buy one.
37.93%
Undecided.
17.24%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

6.7 Scorpion...will you buy one in the first year of production?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:36 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnF350Outlaw
I am not trying to get in a pissing match with you.
Of course not. We're just discussing, and I respect your opinion.

I could post link after link of how great it was supposed to be. This thing was supposed to be the cats ***.
Marketing hype. We should have all learned to take that stuff with a grain of salt.

That being said, I never said that the 6.4 was great....The 6.4 is just as bad and if not worse than the 6.0.
On the contrary, you seem to be saying it is a piece of crap.

My point was simple, I would never buy a first year motor. I want to see the motor in the real world instead of believing all the hype. I am still a Ford fan all the way. If the 6.7 is good, I will buy one in 2011. I just don't want to be the guinea pig.
Not a bad point of view. Let them prove themselves first.

The 6.4 is just as bad and if not worse than the 6.0.
I have to come back to this. I just don't see it that way. The 6.4 has an excellent record for two years now. Not spotless, but very good. A programming issue with regens that was taken care of very early, an injector issue with a very limited number of trucks, the radiator and Tee fitting, which isn't even part of the motor, and that's about it as far as inherent issues. That isn't even close to the problems the 6.0 had and still has.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:58 PM
JohnF350Outlaw
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
I have to come back to this. I just don't see it that way. The 6.4 has an excellent record for two years now. Not spotless, but very good. A programming issue with regens that was taken care of very early, an injector issue with a very limited number of trucks, the radiator and Tee fitting, which isn't even part of the motor, and that's about it as far as inherent issues. That isn't even close to the problems the 6.0 had and still has.
Well, I can't disagree or agree with you because I see a lot in the shop when mine is there, which is quite frequently. I am saying, my 6.0 is GARBAGE. If you would run my Vin through Ford Service you would be stunned. My truck blew first HG's at 26K and then 2nd set went 2 weeks ago and even more blow by on both sides than the first time. The first time there was minimal blow by on the drivers side. I have not owned a 6.4 but from what I personally see, I don't think I would be any happier with it. I use my truck for work, if it's in the shop, it doesn't matter to me if the motor is blown, the turbo is shot or the regen system is being replaced(6.4). Broken is broken when you use your truck to help make money. A loaner Ford Taurus doesn't fly when you tow trailers. BTW, I had a 2005 F-250 6.0 that got bought back(not lemon law) for original purchase price at 33k miles for massive internal engine failure. The only stipulation Ford (or the dealer) made was I had to buy another Ford truck. This is how I ended up with an '07. Before that, I had an '02 2500HD Duramax Crew With 6 Speed Manual Tranny that only needed injectors in 103k miles. I had one of the original Duramax motors. It ran good but there were a lot of issues with those that have since been corrected. I would bet I was lucky on that one. Just like you guys that have good 6.0's. I am not one of the lucky 6.0 owners. I don't beat my truck. I use it. So, that being said. I enjoy the discussion and thank you Guinea Pigs. Get the bugs worked out of these 6.7's so I can get a good Diesel for the first time since '02. My truck will be paid for by then and a good little Cummins is getting stuffed in it if my wife approves!!! Project Truck once I get a new one.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:26 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
At the least I hope the 6.7 will be half as good as our 6.0.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:31 PM
JohnF350Outlaw
Freshman User
Originally Posted by origcharger
At the least I hope the 6.7 will be half as good as our 6.0.
If I had one of these I wouldn't be bitching! Good Luck! Mine will NEVER see 130K. The truck will but the 6.0 in it won't.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
OK, back on topic.....

I usually won't buy a first year anything, especially a vehicle,so I voted no in the poll. Having stated that I certainly hope the 6.7 is a success as I'll be due for a new truck in a few years.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:57 PM
JohnF350Outlaw
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Kep4
OK, back on topic.....

I usually won't buy a first year anything, especially a vehicle,so I voted no in the poll. Having stated that I certainly hope the 6.7 is a success as I'll be due for a new truck in a few years.
OK! I did vote no!

Old 09-09-2009, 03:38 PM
BFSD350
Junior User
I loved my 06 6.0, best vehicle I've ever owned. I am in the market for a new truck so I will be taking a hard look at the 11 SDs. Super damn excited about this new engine, transmission and truck. I think Ford has been proving themselves over and over again with their recent product line and intorductions (Fusion, Flex, SHO, F150, etc) and I expect that we will be in for a real treat with the 6.7. I also think they are beating the **** out of it in testing because the whole world is watching and they have EVERYTHING to lose. Nobody to blame for issues...

I voted YES

Fish

Old 09-09-2009, 04:32 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
I voted no.

I don't want to be a test pilot for the 6.7 diesel, the 2010 emission standards or the immature Urea distribution system.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Softballdad
Senior User
I voted yes, even though I'm not in the market for a new truck. My job1 F350 is doing just fine, but if I was in the market I would get one.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:57 PM
97squarebody
Senior User
I am going to be in the market in the next year or so. So I am going to have to say that I would be willing to buy a first year truck. The 97 I have is a good truck but at 12 years old, I think it has served it's purpose. Additionally, I want to move away from the 460 (damm good motor) and into a diesel. I am thinking that I will wait untill the job 2 trucks come out, this also gives Ford time to solve any minor kinks like the radiator issue, or the programming issue. At the same time, if this thing is a train wreck we should start to see the problems by then and I will have to look for other options.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:49 PM
sandmanf250
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
early 03 6.0 1 icp,2 rear rotors,4 new shocks,ball joints and bushings in the front sway bar. 156000 miles.no other problems still have original batteries.so i'm not the least afraid to get a new 6.7

Old 09-11-2009, 08:53 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I typically don't like buying the first year of any engine, but I voted NO on this because this thing will really have to prove itself before I consider getting rid of my handshaker. For the kind of money we're talking, not being able to order the options I want is something that will be hard to overcome.

I'm also waiting on clarification on weather cab removal will be required for engine repairs. If cab removal is required, then that's just an added expense since the 100k warranty only lasts a couple of years with me. And I'm one of those that likes to hang on to a truck instead of replacing it every couple of years.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:06 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
I'm also waiting on clarification on weather cab removal will be required for engine repairs.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that cab removal will be required for any significant repairs. We've seen enough of the truck to know they have not added much if any space under the hood, it's clear the cab does not swing forward (that would be so cool!), and the motor can't be any smaller than the 6.0.

My other consideration would be availability, and information on the DEF. We don't have any practical knowledge on how to use that stuff.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:59 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I think it's a foregone conclusion that cab removal will be required for any significant repairs.
Just go ahead and burst my bubble why don't ya.

it's clear the cab does not swing forward (that would be so cool!),
I've thought about this too. Just have to figure out how to make my ranch hand front bumper / grill guard work with this set up, but it sure would solve a lot of problems.

and the motor can't be any smaller than the 6.0.
No, but it can be smaller than my 7.3, and I can work on that without pulling the cab.

My other consideration would be availability, and information on the DEF. We don't have any practical knowledge on how to use that stuff.
One thing at a time. I'd like to know if I can even change the serpentine belt by myself first.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:08 PM
ranger429
Logistics Pro
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I voted no as well, not that I'm in the market but I don't like to buy first year motors. My 06 6.0 has given me no problems as of yet.

Quick Reply: 6.7 Scorpion...will you buy one in the first year of production?