Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HELP! Dead truck.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 09:24 PM
bcg
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
HELP! Dead truck.

I put my Adrenaline in today and had it stall out on me once right after but I drove it for a while and it seemed fine. Well, I had to run an errand and the stalling got much worse. Mostly, it's in the 1200 - 1500 RPM range and it'll just die. I was able to put it in N and restart it several times (hoping to just get it back to the shop to deal with it in the morning) but it ended up quitting on me and not restarting. I haven't checked for codes yet but often when it would stall, or was about to, the SES light would come on with the water in fuel light. Both would clear as soon as it got to running OK again. I've visually double checked all my fuel line connections and the electical connections that I removed during the job and they all look OK. I don't see any evidence of either a fuel or oil leak. My gut feeling is that it's fuel related but, like I said, the connections all seem fine and I don't see any leakage anywhere so I'm kind of stumped.

So, any suggestions or help that anyone has would certainly be appreciated. I'm going to get on it in the morning and go through everything I did looking for something I might have missed.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:28 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sure sounds like a CPS failing and if you hadn't just put the pump on, that's what I would start with. You need to make sure you resevior has oil in it and you are not running out of oil. Something may not be allowing the enough oil to get to the pump and injectors.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:29 PM
zx250
Did you do an new IPR with the pump? Are you sure you have it back in right and the nut is on and tight?

Old 09-05-2009, 09:30 PM
bcg
Tuned
The truck had the CPS recall done on it. If I could get one tomorrow, I'd try it though. I pumped 3/4 of a quart back into the reservoir after I put it back together and checked the oil as well. The truck is full of oil and I put probably 40ish miles on it so, even if I hadn't refilled the reservoir, it should be full by now, right?

Old 09-05-2009, 09:31 PM
bcg
Tuned
I did get a new IPR and it was pre-installed so I didn't do anything with it other than connect the wire.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:34 PM
zx250
Without codes, it's a guess. Make sure the little nut is on and tight on the IPR, Check under your plug on the ICP for oil. Yes, I would think the resevoir should be full after that many miles. Need to make sure is staying full. If it's pumping itself dry, then something ain't right.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:36 PM
bcg
Tuned
I guess I could pull the IPR out of the old pump and try it if nothing else jumps out. I sprung for the brand new one with the pump so I hope that's not it.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:43 PM
zx250
Doubt the new one is bad, more likely to damage one swapping it out. Just check the plug again and make sure the locking tab is right ane the little nut is on the back. Like i said, make sure the oil is staying in the resy, should stay within an inch of the top.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:54 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I had a problem with the SES & WIF light flashing with my truck stalling. It was a chaffed wire in the main engine wiring harness behind the 42 pin connector. That's the big wiring harness with the red tape coming up and over the drivers side valve cover. Check below and behind the little square box with a bolt in the middle of it.

When the truck will not start back up, does the glow plug light function normally, or does it stay lit? Can you hear the fuel pump come on with the key? Any smoke out the tail pipe while cranking? Any oil leaks?

Old 09-05-2009, 09:56 PM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
I would have to suspect the IPR. You can check ICP and duty cycle if you have a scanner to help diagnose it. You could have a tiny bit of debris that came out of the pump and it could be affecting your IPR.

This happened to me with the Stealth stage 1..

The IPR's can be cleaned and serviced too just FYI. I have some detailed instructions I can email to you (its a PDF file).

Old 09-05-2009, 09:58 PM
bcg
Tuned
I did recently pull my PCM so I had that wiring harness off. I think I'm going to start with removing my chip, pulling and cleaning the PCM connections and hooking all that back up in the morning. Then I'll pull the HPOP reservoir plug and make sure it has oil and check for blown fuses. If that doesn't do it, then hopefully it'll have some codes.

I didn't see any smoke during the day but when it finally stopped starting, it was dark. I haven't checked the GP light yet and there was too much traffic noise to hear if the fuel pump was cycling or not. I have not seen any oil leaks and I've checked for that a whole bunch since replacing the pump.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:00 PM
bcg
Tuned
Originally Posted by SuperDoodie
I would have to suspect the IPR. You can check ICP and duty cycle if you have a scanner to help diagnose it. You could have a tiny bit of debris that came out of the pump and it could be affecting your IPR.

This happened to me with the Stealth stage 1..

The IPR's can be cleaned and serviced too just FYI. I have some detailed instructions I can email to you (its a PDF file).
That would be great. You can send it to bernie @ graniers . com.

Thanks.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:06 PM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
Originally Posted by bcg
That would be great. You can send it to bernie @ graniers . com.

Thanks.
On the way

Old 09-06-2009, 07:57 AM
bcg
Tuned
OK, I got it running. I started by trying to pull codes and AE was unable to communicate with the PCM so I pulled that out and removed my chip. Reinstalled the PCM and was able to hook up to it. It pulled a bunch of codes, all of which I think are probably bogus. I cleared some of them but can't get the ABS and GEM codes to clear. Anyone know how to do that with AE?

I'm going to re-flash my chip and change the way I installed it and see if that works better. At least if it happens again, I know what to do to get it runnning. Thanks for all the help.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:20 AM
zx250
What kind of chip do you have?

Quick Reply: HELP! Dead truck.