1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Progress rocks!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:58 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Progress rocks!!!!!!

So, after watching pictures of my truck on Power Block, I was happy. It was cool, especially since they aired it during an episode that was about them building a Cummins powered 70's F-Series crew cab. So, I got back to work. I had planned on replacing the rear main seal, after testing and finding that I do NOT have a blown head gasket issue, just a really healthy cooling system. I didn't get time to remove the big tranny, and so I just got a few pictures of the under side. I did manage to get started on repairing the '54 grille that will be going on the truck. The grille center was good, but the head light ends were too far to mess with fixing, so I lopped them off, and installed some '55 ends. You can't really see much difference, so they'll work just fine. I welded the entire seam where the ends meet up to the grille center section. I then, ground out the welds until a little concave, and tried my hand at leading. I managed to get them leaded in to the point that you almost can't tell, and only needed a little film of body filler to finish smoothing them out. I am very, very pleased with how they're turning out. I got one end completely finished, and have the lead on the other end, ready to be smoothed out, and smoothed over with a glaze of filler. I added a whole bunch of pictures to my photo bucket album, so be sure and check them out. Here are a couple

Pre lead

Post lead

Thin skim coat of filler

On the rack at work

Old 08-30-2009, 11:13 PM
rustyrelic
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Great job, glad to see the progress. Sorry I missed your powerblock spot.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:12 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
54 grille ????? looks like a 53 to me but thats pish posh stuff . good job at the repairs . i only hope i have the luck and patience you do when it's my turn !!!!!!!! da-- i love that truck ........................ ooops i see the horns of the 54 in the work pics now ya gotta 53 in there now though ok doke pay no attention to me ..........

Old 08-31-2009, 09:25 AM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Yeah, it currently has a '53 grille, but next weekend, it'll be getting this soon to be beautifully smooth '54 grille. Then, you would never be able to tell it was originally a '53. Since the VIN tag I have is for a '54 (sold the title and tag off the '53), and didn't think I would going the route I have gone, I have to make it a '54 for DMV purposes. I can get the '54 title with ease, but since it has to be inspected, I want it to go as smooth as silk, so it's getting a correct year grille. After doing some research, the only thing not factory in appearance, aside from the Caterpillar motor, is the front section of frame. So, I can provide documentation, and pictures to the DMV guy, and if neccessary, take it before a jury, to prove that it is a 1954 Ford F-750, beyond a reasonable doubt, if DMV tries to assign a new VIN with a new year, or tries to assign the '73 L-8000 to it.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:44 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
big rig

Wow that's a great looking truck Joe. Sorry I missed your debut on TV but I was very pleased that you were included. I think it would be fun to see your truck on the tube.

Goodluck Tomget

Old 08-31-2009, 08:47 PM
create
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have your powerblock spot on dvr. I thought I recognized the truck nice work.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:56 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
You should download that DVR, if you are able to hook up to your computer, and share it. If not, that's cool, I can wait until I get a copy from John Kurtz, the Power Block Producer.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:31 AM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Talking

Well, you saw the before/during the rebuild of the '54 grille, now here are the after. I took the '54 center, welded '55 ends on it, leaded in the welded seam with acid core 1/8" lead solder, and a small rose bud on my oxy/propane torch. I then ground down and smoothed out the lead, and back filled little flaws with a skim coat of Evercoat Glaze coat. I smoothed it all out in 80 grit, then used Self etching primer from NAPA. After that, I wet sanded the primer in 220 grit, and dried it off, and then put on my first coat of white. I wet sanded that out in 400 grit, and blew it all off, for the last coat of white. I used Dupli-Color Acrylic Enamel gloss white. I tell ya, the new D/C spray paints are the bomb. The spray so clean and smooth, and don't shrink too much, and some out so picture perfect when done. So, here are acouple pics of it after I finished it this evening. There are a few imperfections, but it is more than good enough for a driver, and may even be showable.

I think I'm gonna go with the deluxe trim hash marks, and of course, a new V-8 emblem.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:35 AM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
The Rust-O-Leum can sitting there is what I used on the back side to keep it protected from rust. There are a few more pictures in my photobucket album. And yeah, that rose bud on that torch is small for me, I have a few that are MUCH larger.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:30 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I used the industrial rust-o-leum spray on all of my grills Joe and I think it's actually harder than the white DULUX I used to use. Sure performs better on the truck.

Also, have youever considered using their undercoatin gin the spray can to do the backs of the grills and inside the headlight holes. I did, one of mine was really rusty, but I sealed it up with that stuff and haven't heard a peep out of it since.

Hey! I noticed you have a ceiling mounted Spot! Is that a Unity? Does it have the flat round metal mounting bracket? Just wondering!

Hey what ever happened with the DMV and how many days are you smoke free now Mister! Cigarette Smoke free that is!

Nag nag.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:57 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Gosh Julie, so many questions. Ummmm, I have used the under coater stuff. Actually, I used it after I sand blasted the battery tray and related parts. Good stuff. Those are roof mounted unity lights. I have a pair, and they have the round mounts. Want them? I'll sell em to ya. They have been on there since 1953, and even have the original bulbs (but I burnt one out accidentally). I still have the pair of rail mounted rear floods that match. I couldn't make DMV. A bit dissappointing, but oh well, it will happen soon. Buy these spots from me, and I'll have the money for DMV...hint, hint, hahaha. I lost count of how many days smoke free. I honestly have no clue now, it's been sooooo long. No smoke from the wiring either..... Wanted to pull the tranny out couple days ago to fix the rear main, but didn't get time. So, since I'm stoked about NOT having to replace head gaskets, I'll try and get the seal changed this coming up long weekend, and will also be changing the clutch throwout bearing, since it's a NOISY sob (zerk is broke off, and don't look like it's been greased since the 80's).

Old 09-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Alcaeus
Elder User
Its looking real good joe! Just wish you were closer so I could come over and ruin your new paint with drool.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:24 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
I just got one stupid question, how can those dopes in the dmv know the difference
between a 53,4, 5 and even a 56 grille. One of my plow trucks is really a 1976, but,
my son put a 79 grille in it. Around here it is only the VIN that counts. Title less here,
get any local town cop, he wites the vin on a DMV pink slip & you take that and
bill of sale to DMV and the rest is history . sam

Old 09-02-2009, 09:08 AM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Yeah, I can get away with whatever I wanted to do, but, I want it to be correct, for my satisfaction. At this point in the game, and after the amount of time, and energy I've got in building this truck, I want the satisfaction of seeing a '54 on the title, and having the truck look like a '54, and resemble the VIN. Normally, here, the truck goes in for inspection, they take whatever paper work you bring them, and in 30-45 days, DMV main office will send a title, and the tags, and a sheet of paper stating you must return the vehicle to DMV so that a new VIN sticker can be applied. Since I want an original Ford vin on this thing, I have to make sure I cross every "T", and dot every "I". I have to provide sufficient proof to back my claim, that his truck IS, what I say it is.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Glockem45
Elder User
Question

Joe,

I sat there all Saturday and Sunday watching Speed and Spike for all the Powerblock shows, and I still didn't see the section about your truck. I wonder if they didn't show it on the east coast. Darn, plus I missed working on my truck both days by watching TV all day.

Quick Reply: Progress rocks!!!!!!