Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

How?

Old 08-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Neptoess
Senior User
Neptoess is starting off with a positive reputation.
How?

Ok. Today I just replaced my drivers side leaf spring hanger/shackle as the shackle had rusted in half, leaving the leaf spring resting on the bottom of the bed. My question is, why does no one ever mention how the hell you're supposed to move the spring down from where it's at into the shackle? I tried undoing the bolt from the front shackle and it didnt help, and made for more problems later. We had to use blocks of wood and a pry bar. I need to know the proper way to do these. I used a grinder on the rivets for the hanger if anyone wants to know

Old 08-28-2009, 10:55 PM
danr1
Post Fiend
danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.
My question is, why does no one ever mention how the hell you're supposed to move the spring down from where it's at into the shackle?

Umm....jack up the truck?

Old 08-28-2009, 11:37 PM
Neptoess
Senior User
yeah i didnt undo the u bolts or the front shackle though. is it the shocks id have to remove to get the frame to jack up without lifting the axle every crank of the way?

Old 08-29-2009, 03:40 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Lazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to all
You shouldn`t have to remove the spring bolt and definately not the U-bolts. The shock should not hold the axle up either. With a jack on the frame the frame should move up clear of the axle.
One thing you could do is place a sissors type jack between the axle and frame at the side you are working on and lift the frame clear of the axle that way.
Good luck with the next one.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:14 AM
deeznuts822
Elder User
deeznuts822 is starting off with a positive reputation.
When i had to do a rear hanger i un did both shocks and with some pry bar help slid in fairly easy

Old 08-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Neptoess
Senior User
ive already replaced both. thing was, we'd jack the frame up, but the leaf spring would just keep getting higher no matter how high we jacked the frame. the spring bolt also needed to be undone to get the new shackle on, seeing as the old shackle broke in half. i'm guessing the shocks bring undone would allow the spring to be more easily wrestled in. the scissor jack between axle and frame sounds good, shoulda thought of that. the original question though was how can i jack the frame up and not have the leaf spring come with it. the answer is either A. disconnect the shocks and leave the ubolts and front spring bolt in or B. take off the ubolts. thanks guys

Old 08-29-2009, 06:26 PM
lew52
Postmaster
lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.
A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Neptoess
Senior User
well, we left shocks connected and pryed the *******s in. sucked, but at least it's done now

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.