Sponsored by: DP Tuner

leaking coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:41 PM
jjs1988
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leaking coolant?

i have noticed sumthing very confusing this morning i noticed a fairly lage we spot under the truck so i check it out and its a green drip coming from what looks like the water pump but the only problem is it doesnt leak when the truck is on only when the truck is off i am very confused and another thing when i crunk it up to see how much it actually lost the coolant level went up it the resevoir under the hood.am i missing something anything would be appreciated

Old 08-28-2009, 12:46 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It will normally not leak while running, so, yes, it is the water pump.

It will most likely be leaking from one of two areas, the first, weep hole at the center of the pump, the second is from the pipe coming off on the bottom side ( drivers side). there is a cheesy O ring that leaks once in a while.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:48 PM
jjs1988
Freshman User
how much does a water pump run for these and what kinda job is it putting it in

Old 08-28-2009, 01:06 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
I asked BTS and Brian clued me in on getting it from O'riley. New unit, lifetime warranty. So far, no problems.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:33 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I tried once to share with someone else,but I wasnt clear enough. This is a very simple job, but you have to remove the fan cover, you have to remove the fan. There is no short cut, but the job itself is a breeze, just time consuming. To remove the fan, you will need a strap wrench ( for the pulley ) and either a Fan wrench ( free rental at parts stores normally, they just want a deposit ) or a large adjustable. Just know, there are no short cuts, but it is a very simple job!!

Old 08-28-2009, 02:11 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just like Pat said - easily done just time consuming. Did mine last year, could never catch the bugger leaking - she would just leave a spot once in a while. Might as well change the thermostat while you have it apart and consider the Billet T-Stat housing from Dieselsite.com since the stocker is easily bent.

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=188

Definitely sounds like your water pump is the issue. You can ussually see some rust/discoloration from the leak near the pulley, tough to see - just use a flashlight.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:23 PM
12ozd
Posting Guru

As mentioned above,not a hard job to do.
A air chisel makes short work of the fan clutch !
(or a long chisel and bfh)

Old 08-28-2009, 02:49 PM
jjs1988
Freshman User
alright preciate it guys ill be hanging out with my truck and a 12 pack most of the day 2morro i rekin

Old 08-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Don't do the 203 stat! Not worth it... Go get a ford OEM stat. Hotter coolant means hotter oil.. not necessarily a good thing.

The reason you don't see it leaking while you are driving is the fan dries it off there pretty quick. But I would ispect all your hoses first and even the thermostat housing/gasket.. those can leak easily.

Get the waterpump from Northern Tool. They are only like 75-80 bucks and be done with it. It can be a pain to install... especially removing the fan off there.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:36 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Layson
Don't do the 203 stat! Not worth it... Go get a ford OEM stat. Hotter coolant means hotter oil.. not necessarily a good thing.
Good clarification, That's what I did - used a new OEM thermostat.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Layson
I'm with Steve on this one.

Back in January when I was down in Holtville at JW's shop, both John and Jody said they didn't like the oil temps generated because of the 203 stats.

I plan on doing a backflush and ELC fill for my truck, and will probably change the water pump at the same time (preventive maintenance) and when I do, I'll add the Deiselsite billet housing, but I'm gonna stick with the stock thermo.

I hafta get another stock thermo for the Excursion too because I wanna pull the 203 stat I put in there a couple years ago. Gonna have to give Ed a call!

Stewart

Old 08-28-2009, 07:46 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Now i,m wondering if I should take out my 203* stat now, my oil temps were 233* degrees at operating temps on a 80* day..? Thats where I got my oil temp reading from, my cluster test I did with my trip reset button.

Last edited by big poppa; 08-28-2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Trip reset button
Old 08-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
That is getting warm... seems a little hot. I would check to make sure that thermostat is actually opening. Mine was a bad one and would crack open at 220 degrees. It is real easy to check, one way after the truck has reached operating temps... grab that top hose to the radiator and squeeze it if it is real squishy then it is open.. if it is hard then it isn't open. Or just pull the thermostat and stick it in a pot on the stove and stick a thermometer in there...

Old 08-28-2009, 08:12 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I will check that out later this evening, I got to run out. Arn't these stats tested before they go out, I was under the impression they were?? Thanks Layson..

Old 08-28-2009, 11:56 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I put a new stock 195* thermostat back in last weekend. Jody said my EOT was a bit too warm to his liking when he live tuned my truck at RRE. I data logged my EOT's before my Stealth Pump install and saw 220*. I haven't done another data log, yet. But, I will after my chip arrives on Monday. I will post my new ICP's and EOT's after the chip is installed and a new AE data log is done.