Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Rebuild or Crate Engine

Old 08-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Country705
Elder User
Country705 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rebuild or Crate Engine

When replacing the stock engine in one of our trucks have you guys found it to be Easier on the budget to buy a long block crate engine or to rebuild your existing engine? I was looking at enginefactory.com and one of there replacement engines for our trucks is over 8,000 dollars however its a turnkey engine. I am just asking your thoughts as to which one is the best option.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Milwaukee1979F150
Posting Guru
Milwaukee1979F150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
look at Jasper

they cost like $2,000 or less for reman.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:03 PM
92will
Senior User
92will is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I bought a Hesco crate motor from NAPA for $1200 with 3 year unlimited milege warrany because it was going to cost almost that much to rebuild it myself. I had a problem with it a while back but they covered it under warranty and paid me an hourly rate to fix it. But, I will never do it again. From now on I will build my own motors (this is the only crate motor I have ever bought). Unless you go with a KNOWN reman or with a ford motorcraft, you really don't know what your getting. They could have patched blocks, cheap parts, different size bores on each cylinder (Auto Zone told me that one), or use copper valve guide liners instead of new valve guides (like they did on mine).

The biggest reason I bought a crate motor was because I did not have another vehicle to drive at that time and the machine work alone was going to be at least a week. This way I pulled it on Saturday and was driving it on Sunday.

Just some thoughts.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:20 PM
AZ_Turbo
New User
AZ_Turbo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a similar experience as Will described with my í75 150 w/ 302. I kept the old core/motor thinking I would get a project car sometime & rebuild the old 302 for it. Well, the project car never happened but I did end up rebuilding the original 302 and re-installing it in the F150. Had a local shop take care of the bottom end & I did the heads. $1,200 & a couple of weekends later she was good as new.
The crate motor lasted 3 years/39000 miles when it started belching blue smoke like a two-stroke Evinrude. Wonít be going that route again unless Iím seriously pressed for time & itís on primary transportation.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:20 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
I have a Jasper short block in my '88 and she has 100k trouble free miles on her and I've been pretty tough on the old girl The fella that did the install did a valve job and cleaned up my old heads. Everything around the engine has failed but the actual motor is strong as an ox.

I'd go with a Jasper or Ford engine crate engine if you can get one that old from Ford.

Tim

Old 08-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
Prozon has a good reputation on FTE.Prozon has a good reputation on FTE.
I'd suggest a rebuild. Treats ya good for slightly less.

Although.. you could just find a junkyard engine and clean it up. When I changed my F-350's engine I pulled an F-250's and tore it down and cleaned it up really good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.