engine lurches at stops, sometimes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:04 PM
paul_coplin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question engine lurches at stops, sometimes.

my 1990 ford ranger starts up just fine before work, i can pull out with no problems, but after three stop signs, at the fourth stop it a light, the engine lurches* up and stalls out, then 1/2 mile later at the next light, it will lurch and stall again. then it is on to the bosses house just fine....
afterwork, it starts up just fine, idles for about 5 minutes, and once i put it in drive and begin to take off, it just stalls. it usually lurches at the first stop lights, when i have to slow down or after i've stopped at the light and try to accelerate. everytime it stalls, it always starts right back up. i live 1 1/2 miles from work. it happens before and after work, or after long periods of sitting. i came home from work today, after having the usual problems that i stated before, but an hour later, i drove it to my mothers house, aprox. 4 miles away, and didn't have the problem. can i get a list of possible problems and solutions? i'm a begginer.

*lurch- it jumps erradically (rpm800-2200) vroom2200, chug1200 vroom2200, chug1000 vroom2200 chug800 vroom2200 stall000

Action Part Type Cause
__________________________________________________ _______________
Inspect EGR Valve EGR Valve Sticking Open/Leaking.
Inspect Idle Air Control Valve IAC Valve Sticking or Faulty.
Inspect Mass Air Flow Sensor Damaged, Loose, or Faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor or Circuit.
Inspect Spark Plug Incorrectly Gapped or Fouled Spark Plug(s).
Inspect Throttle Position Sensor Faulty or Incorrectly Adjusted/Connected Throttle Position Sensor.
Inspect Idle Air Control Valve Damaged, Loose, or Faulty Idle Air Control Valve.
Inspect Idle Speed Actuator Damaged, Loose, or Faulty Idle Speed Actuator.
Inspect Idle Stop Solenoid Damaged, Loose, or Faulty Idle Stop Solenoid.
Inspect FreshAir Intake Hose Clogged or Damaged FreshAir Intake Hose.
Inspect Throttle Position Sensor Faulty or Incorrectly Connected Throttle Position Sensor.
Inspect Fuel Filter Clogged or Dirty Fuel Filter.
Inspect Fuel Injector Dirty or Worn Fuel Injectors.
Inspect M.A.P. Sensor Faulty M.A.P. Sensor.
Inspect EGR Valve Improperly Functioning or Faulty EGR Valve.
Inspect Fuel Injector Dirty or Worn Fuel Injectors.
Inspect Idle Air Control Valve Damaged, Loose, or Faulty Idle Air Control Valve.
Inspect Idle Speed Actuator Damaged, Loose, or Faulty Idle Speed Actuator.
Inspect Throttle Position Sensor Faulty or Incorrectly Connected Throttle Position Sensor.
Inspect Fuel Filter Clogged or Dirty Fuel Filter.
Inspect PCV Valve Plugged or Damaged PCV Valve.
Inspect Carburetor Worn, Faulty or Damaged Carburetor.
Inspect Valve Burned, Worn, or Sticking Exhaust Valves.
Inspect TimingSet Slipped TimingChain or Worn TimingGear(s).
Inspect Fuel Pump Faulty Fuel Pump.
Inspect Camshaft Camshaft Lobes Worn.
Inspect Point Set Burned, Worn or Incorrectly Set Ignition Points.
Inspect Fuel Pump Low Fuel Pressure.
Inspect Timing Set Slipped Timing Chain or Worn Timing Gear(s).
Inspect PCV Valve Clogged Emission System.
Inspect EGR Valve Improperly Functioning or Faulty EGR Valve.
Inspect Carburetor Incorrect Carburetor Adjustment.
Inspect Spark Plug Incorrectly Gapped or Fouled Spark Plug(s).
Inspect Wireset Worn, Damaged or Faulty Spark Plug Wire(s).
Inspect Head Gasket Leaking Head Gasket.
Inspect Intake Manifold Gasket Leaking, Worn, or Damaged Intake Manifold Gasket.
Inspect Air Filter Clogged or Dirty Air Filter.
Inspect Camshaft Camshaft Lobes Worn.

Last edited by paul_coplin; 08-27-2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: add troubleshoot info
Old 09-04-2009, 09:03 PM
paul_coplin
New User
UPDATE:

I went out and bought RESTORE from O'Rielly's, 5 days ago, I was low on oil.
I added it to the truck, and already noticed that small noises that were there, have disappeared! Gone! BUT, I still have this lurching problem. I have been taking careful notice when this most occures:

Once I start it up, with no problems (starting or electric wise), and let it run for 10 minutes before I leave for work. When I get in, I let it run for 3-5 more minutes, THEN I put it in 1st, then Reverse, then into "Overdrive", now, the stalling has stopped if I let it warm up, but I pull away, pointing forward, (I back into my space) and I get the lurching. it isn't as bad as in the beginning, but it is still there nontheless. now it is more like:
it jumps erradically (rpm800-2200) vroom2200, chug1200,(CHECK ENGINE LIGHT FLASH) vroom2200, chug1000(CHECK ENGINE)

After work, Monday, it stalled, the day I put the RESTORE in. But once it stalled, that was it, and no lurching. I got to the parts store in 3 minutes, about 1.2 miles from the boss' place. Made my purchases, and then immediately added the RESTORE. I let it run for 10 minutes, put it in reverse, and it just stalled, no lurching first. I turn the key to allow little hum, (I'm assuming fuel pump) to stop, then turned it over, (I do this everytime). It did not lurch, or stall again, and drove on home. I've been repeating the process daily, the running for 15 minutes in the morning, and after work, Tuesday was the last day it stalled on me, but I contribute that to the warming up process. The lurching still occures only immediately after I pull away from home or work. Now once it has warmed up, and I mean that the temp gauge sits right between the cold LINE (not the "C") and the "N" in normal, it stops lurching. I usually get to that temp 2 blocks from home or the boss' (0.2 miles). Now I believe that the stalling has all but stopped, but this lurching can get irritating! It is minor lurching, it's not like it is giving me whiplash! I just want to fix it. I can't figure out how to pull the codes either.

I plan to change the oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter & spark plugs.

Iplan to check the distributor, the plug wires, the EGR valve, PCV valve, idle air control valve, the computer, voltage regulator, THR. POS. sensor.

Any other ideas?

Old 01-03-2010, 12:10 AM
kevin wray
New User
I have 94 exploor and it wonts to run on high idle when iam at a stop it wonts to takeoff and jump,ive replaced throutle senser ,air flow senser,fuil filter new plugs wires are fine dont kno what elso do ,had some one plug a laptop code machine he said he could not get codes,please help.