1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Buying : Ford F350 powerstroke vs Dodge Cummins...which 1 and why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Killrail
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Buying : Ford F350 powerstroke vs Dodge Cummins...which 1 and why?

I am wanting to buy a 1 ton diesel truck....have it narrowed down to either a 1995-1997 Ford F350 Powerstroke 7.3 diesel automatic (4x2 or 4x4 doesn't matter really) or a 1995-1998 Dodge 3500 12v Cummins automatic (4x2 or 4x4).
I am wanting a 1 ton to pull a gooseneck horse trailer, a 1 ton will be more tuck than I need but to be on the safe side. I would have more truck than not enough anyways. Whatever truck I get will need to be an automatic transmission.
I have been doing some research on both but I wanted to know what you guys thought .
I want to know the good AND the bad on this model F350 Powerstroke, what to look out for and why, and what to avoid like the plague.
I know this being a Ford forum everyone will be for the Ford....I am a Ford fanatic myself but this is my 1st diesel so I am learning something new.
Even if you know something about this particular model Dodge (good or bad) please let me know.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:26 AM
mojoman
Senior User
Talking

the worst thing about driving a Dodge

telling your parents you are gay!!!!!

mojo

Old 08-24-2009, 09:31 AM
73cntry
Senior User
Welcome to FTE!!! I've posted roughly the same type question a year ago and being on this website you will find a lot of information on here. You can also use the search option once you click on the forum you want and it will give you plenty of posts/threads on it as well.
From my experience of owning two 7.3 Powerstrokes both being first generation 94.5 they are very reliable engines. The thing about having an automatic is you'd want to get a beefier torque converter if you buy one that doesn't already have one with reciepts. (proof wise)
Either truck you look at be sure to look at the turbo blades if they are dirty, bent, or missing any blades DON'T even bother going any further if ANY blades are missing.
Missing blades could mean that the turbo sucked in some pebbles, sand etc.. and the metal would go right into the intake manifold damaging internal parts.
My truck for example I found one bent blade but if I spin it several times it doesn't stop in the same place which is good. Meaning it's not out of balalnce so I put a post up and am getting it fixed in a different state.
I know this website is Awesome with lots of info to help you fix, upgrade your Ford should you choose to go that route. With Dodge don't know of any website like this one.
You want to make sure the owner is putting in the coolant additive for the Ford at least the coolant color should be green not the newer orange. Check the trans fluid as you may know to see what color it is and the smell (burnt not a good thing). K&N air filter is a big no no on this site for either truck due to it allows better airflow but doesn't stop sand particles etc.. from going in the turbo.
I'm sure there will be others to tell you much more on what to look for.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:36 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Killrail
I am wanting to buy a 1 ton diesel truck....have it narrowed down to either a 1995-1997 Ford F350 Powerstroke 7.3 diesel automatic (4x2 or 4x4 doesn't matter really) or a 1995-1998 Dodge 3500 12v Cummins automatic (4x2 or 4x4).
I am wanting a 1 ton to pull a gooseneck horse trailer, a 1 ton will be more tuck than I need but to be on the safe side. I would have more truck than not enough anyways. Whatever truck I get will need to be an automatic transmission.
I have been doing some research on both but I wanted to know what you guys thought .
I want to know the good AND the bad on this model F350 Powerstroke, what to look out for and why, and what to avoid like the plague.
I know this being a Ford forum everyone will be for the Ford....I am a Ford fanatic myself but this is my 1st diesel so I am learning something new.
Even if you know something about this particular model Dodge (good or bad) please let me know.

WELCOME to

But, dont ask, that question here. LOL.

Really dont buy the dodge, its a wonderful motor mounted on a crap truck. And the 7.3 PSD motor has a very good reputation. And I have heard that the automatic tranny is also crap. The automatic Ford (E4OD), isnt very well too, but its a little better than the dodge.

Just my 0.02

Old 08-24-2009, 09:58 AM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As someone else here has in their sig ... buying a dodge because it has a cummins is like marrying an ugly chick cause she has a tight box"

Broken down the cummins is the only good part of that truck

Imho buy a cummins swapped f250/350...best of both worlds

Old 08-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
If you want a truck that will last and a good reliable motor go with a Ford. The cummins is a great motor, but the rest of the drivetrain isn't very good on a dodge.

Either way, make sure you beef up the auto trans. Or at least be prepared to in the future if yours goes out.

If you were looking to get big power numbers easily I'd go Cummins, but if you want reliability and good towing get the Powerstroke...

Old 08-24-2009, 10:05 AM
79f-250custom
Posting Guru
ford is an all around good truck.... but the auto trannys are not the best.
dodge has a GREAT motor but the rest of the truck sucks with a worse auto tranny.
Mitch

Old 08-24-2009, 10:23 AM
61 uni
Posting Guru
The tranny in the dodge just plain SUX. The cummings is great and is easy to upgrade but the rest of the truck is junk.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Killrail
Junior User
I am wanting reliable and good towing.
Most of the Fords I owned in the past were Mustangs and even 1 of them I bought from a junkyard and it ran. Was ugly and had alot wrong with it but it always got me from point A to point B. Also had a 1974 Ford Maverick that "lived" forever as well.
The only Dodge that I ever owned was a 1989 Daytona it was a pretty good car.
I am in 'love' with the Ford F350 CC fleet side 4x4 trucks...that's what I would want. Or a F350 reg. cab dually.
I have read where most F350's can pull 10k which is more than Dodge.
My mom has a 2000 F350 Powerstroke CC dually 4x4 auto, not too many problems.
She had to have alot of the front end components replaced though.
And I have an Aunt and Uncle that keep telling me to buy Dodge.
What is the mpg that the F350's get?
I've heard Dodges is better.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
In my '95 F350 CC 4x2 I get 17mpg mixed driving, and over 20mpg just highway unloaded.

That's with 3.55 gears and 285/75-16 tires. With 4.10 gears you can tow better and your mileage won't go down too much, maybe 1-2 mpg.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Killrail
Junior User
I meant to post that my current truck (the '96 Chevy 1500 4x4) gets about 10-12 mpg...so really anything should get better mpg's than it, lol.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE.
You are getting the slanted opinion that HAD to come from that question being asked here...after all it's a Ford site.

If you are going to be towing heavy i would opt for the dually. It just makes the ride a little more comfortable....stopping is way better too.

The transmission is the weak link in the Fords. Be sure to have it checked out. At the very least it will need a larger trans cooler. Optional: triple disc converter, and a few hard parts changed out. A good rebuild for towing can go over $5000. A decent one is around $3000.

The Ford twin I-beam front axle is not the best either. If you have a choice...get a 4x4 (D60)

IMO, Any mileage gains you get with the Dodge will be eaten up with repair costs.

The cheapest route is to borrow your mom's dually

Old 08-24-2009, 11:13 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 138 Likes on 134 Posts
I think the biggest downfall of the powerstroke is it does have a lot of electrical sensors and wires to make it run. Seems like most of the time if a powerstroke has a running problem, it is electrical and not mechanical. But there are a lot of guys here that have probably had the same problem and can steer you in the right direction.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Killrail
Junior User
I have borrowed my moms dually but she uses it too. And sometimes we go different places at the same time.
She hates for me to borrow her truck and I don't blame her, I don't care for other people driving mine vehicles either.
I just need my own.
I don't plan on a huge horse trailer to pull with....2 horse steel straight load gooseneck with a small LQ area (4ft or maybe 6ft LQ floor area -don't have the trailer yet.) loaded down with camping gear and 2 draft horses.
And will be towing my dune buggy from time to time and also a large/thick stationwagon when needed.
But I want to have more truck than I need, just in case.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Any powerstroke should be able to handle that kinda towing without a problem... I'd sell you mine for the right price, lol... I want a 4x4 and 5-speed.

Quick Reply: Buying : Ford F350 powerstroke vs Dodge Cummins...which 1 and why?