Sponsored by: DP Tuner

power loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:34 AM
spiderpig
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power loss

Long time reader with only a few posts here, but have leaned alot here. I have a early 99 7.3. Truck is used for towing 90% of time but only average 8K miles a year. Truck does have 140k. New tranny 3k ago. The last 6 months I have noticed that at initial start up it seems to take a long time to build power. For instance yesterday I started truck and let idel about 1 min. I needed to back the truck up a slight incline to hook up to a trailer. Truck took a long time and turbo had to really spool up before I could make it up incline. I do not notice this loss of power if for instance the truck has been driven several miles. Truck tows horse trailer fine. Ive noticed this a few times and when it does it, it can be when in reverse or drive. But give the truck 5-10 min to warm up after sitting for a few days and it is fine. I do plan to take truck to diesel shop this fall just for a once over for general maintenance. Just wondering if something I may be needing to look at or at least the thoughts of others. By the way my son has a same truck in 95 and his does not have the same slow warmup time that mine requires. Thanks for any ideas.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:32 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Soundl like it may be time for an oil change. Old oil will cause these problems. So will a damaged or dirty IPR.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:43 PM
spiderpig
Freshman User
Nope. Cant be lack of oil change. Oil changed at 4k miles and last change was less than 800 miles. I had to back truck up same incline this pm after truck had be run for 20 miles or so. No problem, lots of power, no hesitation or excessive turbo spool. I only notice the lack of power if the truck has been sitting for a few days. I will start, even in summer, let idel a minute or so and when I back truck up incline to hook up to trailer it just seem like loss of power, turbo has to wind up. Does not feel like tranny is slipping. Its hard to explain. Sorry this is best I can do. only mod I have is kwik filter and have had that for at least 4 years. Tell me about IPR not familiar with the acronym. Willing to listen to any advice. Thanks

Old 08-24-2009, 10:00 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
EBPV sticking?! I had this issue on one of my work trucks....

Old 08-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 804 Likes on 614 Posts
Originally Posted by spiderpig
Nope. Cant be lack of oil change. Oil changed at 4k miles and last change was less than 800 miles. I had to back truck up same incline this pm after truck had be run for 20 miles or so. No problem, lots of power, no hesitation or excessive turbo spool. I only notice the lack of power if the truck has been sitting for a few days. I will start, even in summer, let idel a minute or so and when I back truck up incline to hook up to trailer it just seem like loss of power, turbo has to wind up. Does not feel like tranny is slipping. Its hard to explain. Sorry this is best I can do. only mod I have is kwik filter and have had that for at least 4 years. Tell me about IPR not familiar with the acronym. Willing to listen to any advice. Thanks
This tells me that the engine is developing the power OK, but that something is binding.
I think you have a transmission problem that is causing it to engage two gears at once, and making it seize up.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:19 AM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My vote is to check for a sticking EBPV. Oh, and love your screen name.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:11 PM
RattlerHilldiesel
New User
My first thought was EBPV as well...someone mentioned it should activate below 40 degrees so if you are somewhere that got that cold what you could be experiencing is normal 7.3L behavior...especially if it resolves itself after warming up.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:14 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I am going to defer to Kwik, he knows his stuff.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:27 PM
spiderpig
Freshman User
and ther winner is--exhaust back pressure valve. Part P0470. What a relief. I was afraid tranny or at least torque converter.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:53 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
How did you determine this?

Old 08-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 804 Likes on 614 Posts
Originally Posted by spiderpig
and ther winner is--exhaust back pressure valve. Part P0470. What a relief. I was afraid tranny or at least torque converter.
That is surprising.
If the EBPV is stuck closed, the turbo won't spool up.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:11 PM
spiderpig
Freshman User
Just went with diagnosis of local diesel shop. Reapairs less than 200, truck now is running good.