Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help im a girl 1996 f150 v6 inline tank trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:26 PM
kimberly wolfchief
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy help im a girl 1996 f150 v6 inline tank trouble

please someone , tell me what in the world is wrong with my truck? i have a ford f150 v6 inline 1996 model.my rear fuel tank is pushing the gas to my front tank, when ever i fill up the rear tank.the reason im not useing the front tank is because it stalls out and dies on me ,and the rear tank works fine other then pushing all of my gas to the front tank. and as my front tank is getting fuller and fuller it starts overflowing all over the place. its done this one time before and after the front tank was so full,it couldnt take any more gas and im assuming from all of the pressure build up the front tank started working again, like nothing was ever wrong.it is the wierdest most annoying thing .well needless to say the front tank is acting up again after running normaly for 8 mos. i couldnt get it started on the front tank one morning after it had run fine the day before.so now im having to use the rear tank ,and its once again pushing all of the gas to the front tank again. im hoping that once it gets overfull again(the front tank) it will start working again. please help with any ideas as to why this is happening . oh yea my fuel filter is good.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:40 PM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
replace the front pump -or do like I did for years and pump it out into a can and pour it back into the rear tank

Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 PM
rikard
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome
The check valve on the FDM (fuel delivery module) has probably failed. This will allow fuel to fill the inactive tank. There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) that covers this problem on some models. Do a search here and on similar sites for info. The FDM is located in th fuel tank.
regards
rikard

Old 08-19-2009, 09:05 PM
393STROKER
Elder User
try calling your lacal Ford dealership and discuss it with them.The same thing happened to me and they fixed it for free due to a re-call.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:59 PM
Alvin in AZ
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rikard
The check valve on the FDM (fuel delivery module) has probably failed.
The FDM is located in th fuel tank.
Cool, I've been wondering where that sucker was. :)
I'm guessing it's in the midship then? :)

The midship tank is one part I haven't taken apart on my '90 F250 parts
truck. LOL :)

A few more weeks and it'll be ready to haul off.
The neighbors are gonna hate to see it go, but they'll just have to get
over it. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Old 08-19-2009, 10:09 PM
sgtpen
New User
Originally Posted by kimberly wolfchief
please someone , tell me what in the world is wrong with my truck? i have a ford f150 v6 inline 1996 model.my rear fuel tank is pushing the gas to my front tank, when ever i fill up the rear tank.the reason im not useing the front tank is because it stalls out and dies on me ,and the rear tank works fine other then pushing all of my gas to the front tank. and as my front tank is getting fuller and fuller it starts overflowing all over the place. its done this one time before and after the front tank was so full,it couldnt take any more gas and im assuming from all of the pressure build up the front tank started working again, like nothing was ever wrong.it is the wierdest most annoying thing .well needless to say the front tank is acting up again after running normaly for 8 mos. i couldnt get it started on the front tank one morning after it had run fine the day before.so now im having to use the rear tank ,and its once again pushing all of the gas to the front tank again. im hoping that once it gets overfull again(the front tank) it will start working again. please help with any ideas as to why this is happening . oh yea my fuel filter is good.
I had the same issue, the recall didn't apply to me. Had to replace the front tank fuel pump. I replaced it with the Ford pump based on numerous recommendations but I've since heard that NAPA has one that is just as reliable.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:28 PM
bren_tx
Senior User
i have a very similar problem. were exactly are the check valves? i recently replaced both intank pumps and one sending unit and it still didnt fix the problem.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:18 AM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
these guys got it i just wanted to mention you do not have a v6...you have an inline 6...just so ya know for future reference