6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

what causes the FICM to go out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:39 PM
jlmotox
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what causes the FICM to go out?

Got a CEL and took the truck to the dealer and this is what the paperwork shows me...didn't get a chance to talk to the service writer or the tech...

Cause: 58988 FICM failed checked out vehicle and ran tests found P0611...checked PIDS and found FICM PID going down from 48 volts to 28 volts...checked and replaced failed FICM and programed and road tested ok at this time.

truck seemed to run ok with the CEL on the only strange thing I noticed was a couple of times when starting cold it would sputter for a second then run fine...

I see alot of people on here having to replace the FICM...What causes this to happen? is this the "normal" reason for these to go out?

not sure if this is related to the FICM or not but twice now when towing up a long grade the tach will be about 1,000 rpms lower than what it should be and when the engine goes to idle the tach shows 0 rpm but then once I shut the truck down and restart the tach goes back to working normal...there also seems to be a little loss of power when this happens...would that have anything to do with the FICM?

also the new FICM looks bigger...did they update to a new style or type?

thanks!!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:47 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
i'd like to know too. but in some other similar threads i've read posts stating that the inductive heating flash maybe the problem and also the FICM are sensitive to heat. i'm just passing on what i read, i don't know forsure, all i know is mine went out last year and it cost me a lot of money. i wish there was FICM tuning back then and i could have ordered a new on from Innovative with there custom FICM burning.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:54 PM
jlmotox
Elder User
not sure what flash I have now but I had the buzz flash but they did a new flash when I had my head gaskets replaced the service writer said it was the "newest one"...

luckly this was done under warrenty! I have heard how expensive they are! ouch!!

is there a benefit to a custom tuned FICM? what does that do for you?

Old 08-11-2009, 09:32 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
FYI---any FICM from 03-07 will work on any truck. As I understand it there is a common problem with them cracking the solder joints. If you open the FICM up they are very easy to spot. Next to the high current connecting posts, there are 4 wirewound, current limiting resistors laying right next to each other. They are brown and are bigger than any of the other resistors. These develop solder fractures and result in decreased voltage output. In many cases, resoldering these will bring the FICM back to life.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:53 AM
KRDiesel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am looking for a dead FICM to see what is going wrong with them. Once I get one I will write up a fix procedure for the forum.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:18 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
one thing that will kill a FICM is low voltage. ie.. bad battery/alternator

Old 08-12-2009, 05:35 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
mine went out at the mechanics when they were replacing both my batteries. got a call and they said good thing is your batteries are done, bad thing is your truck will not start, had to get it towed to the dealership...

Old 08-12-2009, 05:45 PM
jlong05
Junior User
Well, all I can say my truck is still at the shop. Have a new FICM but the shop is having problems getting the programming to load. Ford said they are having issues as well which is causing a delay for my repair. I still do not know if I will be able to get a hold of the 'dead' FICM either. If I do I will be sending it along as promised.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:03 PM
bartric
Senior User
When my FICM went out the dealer called me and said 1150.00 and it would be ready at 5:00 pm I wonder if i should call them and see if i could get my old one back maybe it can be fixed so next year when my new one goes out i can have a back up.what do you all think?

Old 08-13-2009, 10:54 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by bartric
When my FICM went out the dealer called me and said 1150.00 and it would be ready at 5:00 pm I wonder if i should call them and see if i could get my old one back maybe it can be fixed so next year when my new one goes out i can have a back up.what do you all think?
$1150????????? They charged you 600 to put in a $525 FICM??? Did they gold plate it and give you a kiss???

Old 08-13-2009, 12:09 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
There is a core charge on the FICM so a dealer will not give a fried one back to a customer unless the core is paid.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:32 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
Yeah I had to pay around that much too, I think even a little more. Those things aren't cheap!

Old 08-13-2009, 01:52 PM
fireman660r
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was told by my tech when mine wen out (under warrany luckily) that they had to send the old one in for testing to see why it failed. Anything under warranty has to sit on a shelf for a certain period of time, just in case the company decides to dispute the warranty claim, the dealer has it to prove their claim to get their money. Also, if this is the case that they are just blowing soldering out, I don't think FORD would be too happy to stop selling $525 FICM's all the time. CASH COW FOR THEM.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:47 PM
jlong05
Junior User
Well this is annoying. Day 4 and still no truck. Repair shop the truck is at can't seem to get the programming to load to the new FICM. Ford only communicates with them vie email and Ford has acknowledged issues with the 1-ton programming. At this point I wonder if I will ever get my truck back, or for that matter that the FICM was the issue to begin with.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:24 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by jlong05
Well this is annoying. Day 4 and still no truck. Repair shop the truck is at can't seem to get the programming to load to the new FICM. Ford only communicates with them vie email and Ford has acknowledged issues with the 1-ton programming. At this point I wonder if I will ever get my truck back, or for that matter that the FICM was the issue to begin with.
Holler BS and tell them to get you a new FICM. It only takes about 5 to 10 minutes to load a FICM program. I don't know what kind of BS they're trying to feed you but it's wrong. Never heard of "1-ton" programming. Specifically what kind of vehicle is this? A 350/dually?

Quick Reply: what causes the FICM to go out?