Sponsored by:

Convert to Diesel???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:23 AM
cabochris
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convert to Diesel???

This is my first post here. I just purchased a 1988 Econoline 250 Van. It also happens to be a fully self contained camping conversion van by Okanagan. Other than being in clean working condition, I know little about it since it is still new to me. I has an auto transmission, I believe 354 rear end and a 351 motor at around 10mpg. I believe this year Econoline also came with 6.9 and 7.3 diesels. Can I convert mine to a diesel? I was told I could put in a 460 gas, so how about a diesel? And if reasonable to do so, which diesel and what sort of fuel economy might one expect? This post is my starting point. The 351 motor runs good, but I feel it is somewhat underpowered and requires that I put more foot into it. I feel a 460 would up the power and perhaps still get 10mpg because I could ease back on the gas? But I'm really not power hungry and would prefer a diesel if it improved mpg. If the diesel got 12 to 14mpg, I would be happy with that. Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Ravenwood Ranch
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm, i would just keep the gas motor, converting to diesel is alot more work than you realize, we just did a cummings into ford converstion at my freinds house, the truck was an 84 with the reg gas engine, not fun to wire it up.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:06 PM
cabochris
New User
Did the Cummings require more work than a Ford diesel would have? Now that all the work is is done, I bet you guys are happy with the transplant?

Old 08-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The cummins (5.9) would be difficult to fit I would think. Now a 4bt might work. If it were me and I was dead set I'd use a late 90's 7.3 either turbo diesel or the 7.3 powerstroke. Mpg should be better and so will power.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:39 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,598 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Given the prices of vans, shop around for one with an oilburner already.

You could find a nice one with the equipment you want--a long shot as I realize you have the cramper unit, and then you sell yours and drive the new one. Or, you find one that's a bit trashed but still has sound running gear and make a swap.

Don't expect this to be easy, cheap or provide miracles. A 7.3 motor is still thirsty, even with diesel power.

4BT? Paint shaker.

Do some math. That 351 starts to look pretty good.

Check the SB forums. You may be able to improve the 351 enough to make it more livable. Conanski has the line on that.

Good luck.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:18 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
It can be done. I put a 6.9 in my 88 Bronco, it was a lot of work but I feel it was worth it in the end. I was gettting about 14 mpg with the 302 that was in it and now I get about 17 mpg and that should go up after I turbo it and put in a zf5 speed. I bought an entire 86 4x4 truck and swapped out every thing including the axles. The gasser suspension will not hold the wieght of the diesel and the rear end will not take the torque. If you find a van the same year to use for a donor it is alot less painfull. Besides these old IDI's are easy to work on and a lot less expensive compared to a stroke, and if you do a few mods like a turbo and free flow exhaust they have great power potential! You can go down to the 6.9-7.3 pre powerstroke forum and ask about the IDI motors.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It wouldn't be worth it do save very little money in fuel mileage.

Lets see you would need lots of pain killers for the headaches and the aches and pains your going to get.

You would need to change

Rad support and new Rad
Frame mounts for engine
Add wiring for glow plugs
New Transmission
Fuel tank and fuel lines
Upgrade the coil springs

The list goes on and on.

So buy the time you spend the 10 grand are you saving any money "NO"

You still have to find a good used 7.3 IDI. Good luck on finding a diesel Rad support for that year van.

In my mind your not going to save money so just live with the gas pot.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Volvo92906
Posting Guru
Its worth it if you have a truck you want to keep for years and years and the truck is in good condition as it is. The headaches arent so bad because some places actually have a schematic on what you need to wire to what to hook it up but the suspension, transmission, mounts, brake system, and fuel system can be a pain to deal with and expensive. Im considering it all because I get 9mpg with a gasser but the rest of the truck is in great shape for another 20 years. An old 5.9 is mechanical and will boost me to 17 or 18mpg.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
You would never beable to squeeze a Cummins B 5.9 in a E series way too long.

If you seen how shoe horned a 7.3 IDI is in a E series you wouldn't want to tempt it.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:20 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
O.k., I didn't spend near 10 grand on my diesel conversion, more like about 3 grand and that was including freshening up the 6.9 when i did it. As I said if you get a donor for the engine trans etc. (you can pick up some cheap rust buckets) it gives you all the parts you need including the wiring. I bought my donor for $1300 and that included a delivery fee of $150. So if a guy wants to keep a vehichle like I did with my Bronco but wants a diesel a swap is a practical idea. I did the entire conversion in my drive way by myself with simple tools and a good grasp of mechanics and real good (if I must say so myself lol) set of fabrication skills.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
A Bronco is hell of alot easier to work on than a E series.

I helped with a PSD removal out of a E series you want to talk about frustrating. To get the engine out took alot of work you can't lift them out easily with a engine hoist.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:42 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,598 Likes on 1,303 Posts
And note the PSD's in E's are rated lower in hp than the PU motors. Not enough room for the manifolding/turbo/air intake etc methinks.......

Old 08-22-2009, 11:52 AM
samthelion
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking engine swap

I have to go with Lubbockguy1979 on this one. I, too, am looking at the
4BT for a swap. They are great because you can get the trans adaper and use your trans or an Allison, if you have an auto.
Down side is, you will probably have to change the rear gear, even with overdrive.
If you decide on the 460, raise the compression. 11.5 : 1 and you can still use pump gas.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:40 PM
6x4Cowboy
New User
Originally Posted by samthelion
If you decide on the 460, raise the compression. 11.5 : 1 and you can still use pump gas.
I had a 1976 E350 Club Wagon with 460. You run that compression past 10 you better plan on running high test gas from the pump, you run it past 11 you better have a friend at the airport. That monster will pre-ignite (knock and ping) like you have an blacksmith under the hood. I ran 10:1 with an RV cam by Crane, and a Carter 625 CFM carb. I ran premium in it and it was an awesome van, on anything less octane it pinged bad. And before anyone chimes in, the timing was perfect. Well that is my 2 cents.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:35 PM
stormyrider
Elder User
For starters you would have to beef up that front suspension as the diesel engine weighs a lot more then your gas engine. I would guess your radiator would need to be enlarged and add an extra cooling heat exchanger for your transmission. The 6.9 would be your best bet but it was rough on the C6. Plan on adding a shift kit to the C6 to make it hold up to the diesels torgue better. 6.9 should get you better mileage then the 351, nice thing about a diesel is it only uses the amount of fuel to get the work done. You'll also need to fiqure out where to put the addional battery tray as a diesel requires two batteries for starting.

Quick Reply: Convert to Diesel???