1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Dual-axis Camber Bushings? Any experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:33 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts
Dual-axis Camber Bushings? Any experiences?

I'm only asking because my alignment shop manager told me that was the only way they could get a completely dead-on alignment.

Basically... I'm having a hard time finding info on the use of this device except for the attached bulletin from Spicer. The bulletin does in fact refer to our PSD's as being vehicles targeted for the application, and I have one that has been running for a year in my F250 with no trouble yet.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Attached Images
Old 07-27-2009, 04:02 PM
nissandoc
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pete, that is the correct way to adjust caster and camber. I searched Hunters website but it doesnt go into detail on any specific vehicle.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:54 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Good deal, Darrel. Thanks for the confirmation. I've already purchased the dual bushing setup that's going to go into my driver side wheel this Friday on my truck, and XRF has gladly agreed to take back the non-duel config units I purchased from them for a complete refund.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:27 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Pete,

XRF sounds like a real "stand-up" company!

If their products are really as good as their engineering and metallurgy seems to be, we'll be hearing a lot more of them in the future.

How did you hear of them, initially?

Pop

Old 07-27-2009, 05:42 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Marv,

It was someone here in FTE that mentioned them some time back (I'm thinking this spring sometime, but it was after I had done the joints on ym previous Excursion). I can't remember exactly which thread it was. I do remember, though, that it was related specifically to ball joints.

Anyway, I just tracked them down on the internet and did some detailed digging around to see what people were saying about them in alignment/suspension shops, on other vehicle forums (automotive racing, off-roading, rock-climbing, etc.), and even found some references in technology reviews on more generic automotive trade sites. I didn't compile all the specific site references but I simply could not find anyone saying anything bad about them.

With that kind of publicized feedback and recommendations from many different sources, I checked out their prices and found them to be lower than the Moogs I could get locally. Add to that the million mile warranty, and they got my orders.

So far, my own experience, as limited as it is, has matched up with everything I've read... all the way down to where they have not yet themselves stepped into the dual axis camber bushings, but are interested in checking it out as a potential future offering as they continue to grow their part application list. From a simple business management perspective, I cannot find anything to compain about at all.

Shoot... they don't even keep my credit card number on reference anywhere, so when I send the parts back, they want me to just include my telephone number so they can call me and get the number directly from me over the phone and completely avoid any potential for my number lying around anywhere on a piece of paper.

Without a doubt, I am blown away by the level of practical detail they have gone to in many more ways than I typically see with most other reputable companier we all deal with.

Again, though, just in case anyone wonders about why I'm saying what I am, I have absolutely nothing to gain by recommending this company or their products... nothing at all. I just like to share the good stuff I find with others who can benefit by it.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Since your question has already been answered Pete, will someone help out an internet challenged individual?

I'm interested in these XRF ball joints, etc., but cannot seem to find them online. I may or may not have found their website, but cannot figure out how to obtain pricing or where to buy any parts. Do they sell direct or is it through a distribution network?

Old 07-27-2009, 08:24 PM
F250_
Hotshot
They sell direct, Chris. Here is the link to their site.. www.xrfautoparts.com ..., just call the number at the top of the page (Toll Free: 877.674.4030).

However, these guys may have the kits for a few dollars cheaper... http://stores.shop.ebay.com/thetireclub/Home.html ... one guy from the forum got a set of XRF 4x4 joints for only $79. The company is supposed to have been in business for 20 years (the one for this eBay ad), but I've had such good experience talking with the guys directly at XRF that I would probably stick with ordering straight from them.

One important update on MY situation. I investigated the part numbers on my adjustable bushings when I got home, and XRF actualy DOES provide a dual axis adjustable camber bushing for both the Ex and the F250, which use the exact same parts for these components. I got the correct part when I ordered my set for the truck a number of months ago, but there was obviously an error on the information receiving side at XRF when I placed the order for the Excursion because they both rec orded and sent the wrong part number.

Honestly, though, after pouring through Napa's online catalog, there are quite a few bushing options for the front ball joints on these vehicles, so it is easy (in my mind) to see how a simple mistake took place. In fact, when I went to Napa to get the "replacement part" for my pending truck ball joint install, they didn;t find the right part number either until I called the house and had someone dig the box out of the garbage that my alignment shop had sent my other bushing home in. I know that these folks (boht Napa and XRF) are supposed to be the company experts and should be able to get it right, but like I said earlier, XRF could not have responded better when I called them, so I can easily let a simple mistake slide. I will surely address the details with them again tomorrow so they can prevent a reccurrence for someone else.

Oh, BTW... the XRF dual axis bushing is $32, while the Napa price is $44, and in looking at the two components, the one from XRF looks to be built a little more solidly and has a less complicated camber adjustment scale stamped into the bushing's surface as well.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:32 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks Pete. Tried to rep ya, but you know the story.

Are their ball joints greasable? Got a buddy who needs ball joints soon so this may be the way to go if they're better.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:40 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Yes, they are greasable, Chris. It may be a minor issue, too, but when I did the Moogs on my previous Ex early this spring, installing teh zerks was not a simple "spin it into place". The fit was very tight... almost like I was tapping the zerk into place. However, when I installed the zerks on the XRF's Friday night, they went in very easily and snugged down nice and tight.

Granted, I did not put the Moogs in the freezer the night befor edoing the install, and perhaps taht would have helped, but I really had to get my impact wrench to fight those joints all the way on each stinking one of them. With the XRF's, though, they went in 1/4" by hand and then the impact drove them home very easily, but it was still a good tight fit. Again, though, that could all have been a result of freezing the joints first... except for the zerks, that is, because they got frozen with the joints in the XRF kits.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:13 PM
nissandoc
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dand Pete, you're the only other person I've heard say anything about using the freezer. Neat trick aint it? Hotplate works real good on manual tranny bearings also. A lot of times they'll drop all the way onto the shaft with no pressing.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:07 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Yeah, Darrel, I read where someone else likes to heat up the knuckle red hot and drop their frozen ball joints into place afterwards, and then QUENCH the knuckle with cold water!! Going up to about 350°F is all right, but any hotter than that and you start altering the steel's internal structure and strength properties.

Though that does take maximum advantage of the thermal expansion/contraction properties of the metal for ease of "drop-in", it is NOT a good thing to go that far in terms of the efect it has on the knuckles granular structure for long term integrity. In fact, I couldn't help noticing on Friday night, while under the front end, that the I-beams have a little note cast into their surface... "DO NOT HEAT - WELD - BEND", and those knuckles are just a small part of that structure, but they are also what holds those littl ball joints into place (and the wheel taht's attached to them).

Old 07-28-2009, 08:23 AM
F250_
Hotshot
OK... final situation in my bushing saga with XRF. Keep in mind that XRF is still building their part number offerings and cross-reference lists, but they are also very stand-up people.

That said, the reason I got the incorrect bushing part for my Excursion is that their cross-reference list did not include the dual-axis bushing component as being applicable for the Excursion even though it is for the F250. I have run into the exact same discrepancy issue when I have researched my shock options with Bilstein... Bilstein sometimes not knowing as much about part interchangeability as Shockwarehouse tech people, so this is not an unknown or rare phenomenon that I experienced with XRF. Now that this has come to light, XRF will be updating their cross-reference lists on these parts.

Again, given the way Ford themselves change part numbers through the years for what is otherwise identical parts, the whole issue of making accurate cross-reference lists is an unimaginably tedious and difficult task.

Though I ended up spending an extra $150 that I had neither wanted, neeed, nor planned on spending, I still saved about $400 in doing these jobs myself and have learned even more about my vehicles and alignment parts in the process... and THAT will probably end up being worth much more than $150 in the long run.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wrong place for my question..

Old 02-09-2017, 08:46 AM
Alex Garcia
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
I'm only asking because my alignment shop manager told me that was the only way they could get a completely dead-on alignment.

Basically... I'm having a hard time finding info on the use of this device except for the attached bulletin from Spicer. The bulletin does in fact refer to our PSD's as being vehicles targeted for the application, and I have one that has been running for a year in my F250 with no trouble yet.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
do you have a part number or link to the bulletin

Old 02-09-2017, 10:43 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Alex Garcia
do you have a part number or link to the bulletin
The PDF for the bulletin is in the first post of this thread. I just checked it, and it still works. Just open (double-click) the PDF and you'll see the bulletin.