N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Stereo Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 03:32 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Stereo Advice

Hey everyone, I need a little stereo advice for my truck. Here are the particulars.
  • The doors leak a bit so the speakers will need to be protected.
  • The door panels have the standard 6" (I guess that is the diameter) holes already cut into them.
  • I want a decent, but not expensive system that has a CD player and iPod connector.
  • I may need an in-dash adapter to fit the unit into the slot.

Any ideas on what to look for and where to get it.
Thanks

Old 07-26-2009, 01:24 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
There are tons of stereos (even name-brand) in the $100 dollar range, even MP3-ready units, take your pick. Try Tigerdirect, Ecost.com and others like that, or simply head down to Wally world or Target, whatever. I've always liked Pioneer and Sony.

For speakers, you can some with a mylar cone that's more water/moisture resistant and then get a plastic protector that mounts behind the speaker as well.

There's a single DIN stereo adapter that's made for the Volvo 740-series (mid-80s-early 90s) that's a virtually perfect fit in the bumpside dash, you just have to bend the original radio mounting ears back out of the way and it fits right in. Only downside is that the angle isn't quite right and it angles the stereo down slightly, so you need one with a good display to be able to still see it.

I put a pic of mine in my gallery...https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...213063&width=2

Old 07-26-2009, 03:18 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
I thought that stereo on dentsides and bumpsides meant that you had dual exhaust with open headers.

Am I wrong?

Old 07-27-2009, 07:32 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AnOldDog
I thought that stereo on dentsides and bumpsides meant that you had dual exhaust with open headers.

Am I wrong?
That's how I do it. Mine still has the radio delete plastic cover on it. That's 42 years of no radio. Keeps me from needing to lock the doors too.
I actually just got a radio donated to me by a co worker for letting him use my garage.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:58 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Dan,
That looks sharp. I assume that is with the Volvo adapter.

Chet and Dale, While the duel exhausts sound good with open headers, after a few hundred miles it gets old. CHPs may also have an opinion about it as well.

I also wonder if there are alternative places to place speakers than in the doors. They pretty much shoot sound right into the seat where the last "professionals" installed them. If there was a place to put them that was protected from being kicked and did not cost leg room, I would be interested. I don't want to put them in the roof either.

Thanks for the ideas.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:28 AM
stewartfan
New User
I have always found the best deals on stereo stuff on craigslist just have to wait it out till something good comes up.My friend had all Sony explode even the deck in his camaro and it sounded really good just wasn't that loud.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:56 AM
Mawk
Senior User
Originally Posted by stewartfan
I have always found the best deals on stereo stuff on craigslist just have to wait it out till something good comes up.My friend had all Sony explode even the deck in his camaro and it sounded really good just wasn't that loud.

Word of warning.

If you're buying off of craigslist, make sure you test the unit first. If the "owner" doesn't have the anti-theft code, or know much about it (there's a sticker with manufacture date on it) then move on. I'd hate to think that there are so many stolen items on CL, but it just seems to be a neutral mating ground for these scums.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:50 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Ya don't need no stinking stereo in an old truck! Especially a 4WD hauler. Just slap an AM radio in it so you can catch a ball game, get KNBR, get the news/traffic/etc.

If you get desperate, just turn on your IPOD

Old 07-29-2009, 01:15 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
I like the MTX speaker and SONY stereo that is in my rig. Xplod speaker are good and cheap too. $84 Sony with a little extra power than others. MTX speaker work nice ... and cheap. You will have to cut the dash a little with a dremel tool if you plan on using the cage when you install (single din)

I think it all cost about $150 total tax, wire, antenna. Sounds good and I can add a amp and woofer later if I need it. Fine by me now though. It has a plug in for aux / ipod front or rear too. ;-)

Here's a good one... imo:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10569323

You can kind of see mine in this shot;

Old 07-29-2009, 01:40 AM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you tried Crutchfield?

http://www.crutchfield.com/

Old 07-30-2009, 01:44 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Good luck with whatever you decide.... Your truck will probably be easier than mine. I think you have open access in that part of the dash.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:36 AM
ShamelessMT
Elder User
The stereo in my truck consists of a Pioneer head unit that's a couple years old that has iPod control & satellite radio (along with cd behind the flip-down face), a couple speakers in the doors and (2) 8" subs and an amp behind the seat. I love my setup and I'm thinking that it cost about $500 total ($150 head unit, $80 for the door speakers and $250 for subs and amp) which is pretty cheap, sounds great and will rattle the truck and give a nice back massage at the same time.

I usually run Pioneers head units in my rigs though I've tried Sony's, Alpines and a couple other brands. If you buy the $100 (listed retail price) Pioneer (you can find it at Walmart) it will be fine, but the $200 (again, listed price) version (something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-PREMIER-...3286.c0.m14)is usually much better (more power, more features, better controls and display). Your head unit is the most important part of the stereo, as a good one means that you can run cheaper speakers and still get good sound. The other reason that I like Pioneers is that the iPod cable is built in and doesn't require you to plug it in the face (the cable actually comes out the back of the unit).

Here's a picture of my stereo with my ipod hanging from the ashtray (that's where it lives, really)

You could always mount your speakers in the cab corners like this guy did instead of in the doors.

Originally Posted by sierraben
Have you tried Crutchfield?
They always seem to have higher prices than anywhere else. I usually figure out what I want and then buy it through ebay. I've had really good luck that way.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
Well, if you didn't need/want the ipod connector I have a perfectly good working Panasonic head unit I was trying to sell on ebay. It worked fine in the Buick. I did not install it in the Ranger because I did not have any speakers that fit it.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:21 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
As I think about this..

I have a panasonic/sony head in my motorhome. I forget which one, but I'll get the point. I promise.

I don't drive my motorhome very much. That big old 460 draws a lot of gasoline and the 75 gallon tank costs a lot to fill, but I digress. It's all about battery draw. The F53 based RV sits a long time between refills.

So, the head unit I chose (panasonic? sony?, I forget) draws power. The radio uses it to maintain station settings and stuff. It's only a trickle, but the power drain adds up. It burns out my batteries. You just can't let an acid cell battery drain to zero.

This is not a recommendation, but a cautionary tale. How often do you drive your rig? Is it kept charged up? When you turn your radio off do you actually disconnect the power?

Just a thought.

Chet

Old 08-03-2009, 07:13 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Chet... great point. I am thinking of putting a master power switch near the battery anyway. I drive the truck 3 or 4 times per month.

Quick Reply: Stereo Advice