Oil & Lubrication  

Valvoline motor oiil??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 11:45 PM
blownbronco
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valvoline motor oiil??

I'm thinkin about switching from Havoline to Valvoline motor oil. What do you guys think about Valvoline motor oil?? THANKS A BUNCH!!

Old 12-19-2002, 11:54 PM
SAR Ranger
Senior User
Valvoline motor oiil??

It's what the dealer puts in my Ranger when I get a change and seems to work fine.

Old 12-20-2002, 12:38 AM
rgiles
Senior User
Valvoline motor oiil??

I've seen some virgin analysis on Valvoline and it appears to have a very basic additive package. I think the base oil tends to be solid within the viscosity rating compared to others. For instance Mobil 1 5w30 is almost a 5w20 oil. I would expect a Valvoline oil to be a solid 5w30 oil. I would like to see other peoples oil analysis on it before I would feel comfortable using it. How bout doing some analysis on yours?

I used to use it all the time in Phoenix when I was running 15w50 in a 302.

Old 12-20-2002, 10:21 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Valvoline motor oiil??

I used Valvoline dino exclusively since the late 60s up until about 1980. I continued to use the dino in "older" vehicles until about 1990. I started using synthetics in 1980 on "special" cars. When Valvoline came out with syn I started using it in my 94 F250(bought in 96)instead of dino.

In all the years I have used Valvoline dino and the few with syn, I have always been totally satisfied. I have no oil analysis tests to prove anything, but I have beat the heck out of some "older" engines and not hurt anything.

I had a 74 Datsun truck that I always used 20W50 Valvoline racing oil. At 50,000 miles I hit a rock in the mountain and drove about 20 miles with no oil until it froze. I was able to get picked up by a friend and got a new pan and oil and changed it laying on my back in the snow. Drove it home. That weekend I dropped the pan again to inspect the bearings. Only one bearing set was damaged and the journal was scored. I buffed the journal and replace the bearing. I did this a couple times over the next few months, "just in case" and kept using Valvoline. That engine ran over 180,000 miles before I sold it. I was young and had no money to do any significant repair, but that engine ran just fine with Valvoline.

I started using syn in my 79TA and have done so ever since in all my new cars except my wifes Van and my F250. The wife's van got Havoline from new until I switched to Havoline Syn a few years back. The F250 as mentioned got Valvoline dino for the first year or two after I bought it used since I assumed dino is what was in it. When Valvoline syn came out I switched to that.

So like I said in far too many words, Valvoline dino has worked very well for me in probably over 30 years and in 6 cars/trucks and many small engines. I only switched to synthetics, for a psychological pacifier. I would still recommend Valvoline dino to anyone.

In my opinion, it is almost impossible to prove any oil is good or bad for your engine without controlled tests and lab analysis. All the Major oil companies have done this and are required by law(I think) to prove their oil meets the SAE and API specs. So as long as you follow the spec for your engine, any good oil will work fine. I just prefer Valvoline from experience and habit.

Just my opinions.

Jim Henderson

Old 12-20-2002, 11:47 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valvoline motor oiil??

>For instance Mobil 1 5w30 is almost a 5w20 oil.

The weight numbers are ranges. If a 5w20 is in the upper end of the 20 range and a 5w30 is in the lower end of the 30 range, they would be pretty close in viscosity. Therefore, I suspect they could be closer in viscosity than say two 30 weight oils that are at the bottom and top of the 30 range respectively.

BTW I use Valvoline Durablend 5w30 in all my vehicles. But I also add a quart of Rislone every oil change.

INLINE SIX POWER! '95 F150 XL
300 Cubic Inches of Low RPM Truck Torque! And twin-I-beams too!
"Drive a stick young man! There'll be time for automatics when you're old and unable."

Old 12-20-2002, 12:58 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Valvoline motor oiil??

FWIW, NAPA brand oil is actually Valvoline. If you check NAPA's website, look up oil and click on an MSDS, they are all Valvoline MSDS's.

I admit, I have a hard time getting over the fact the NAPA bottles are so generic looking and don't have an oil brand label. But I am getting over it, LOL! I bought a case @ .99/qt. and I'm using it in my lawnmower and tractor. Who knows, maybe I'll start using it in my cars and truck too.

I was gonna say that the NAPA/Valvoline All Fleet 15w/40 is the best bargain to be had at $5.56 a gallon, but BrianA reports Shell Rotella to be $4.48 a gal at Wally's.

As motorists, we truly live in one of the best times with all the choices of high quality products we have at value prices.

Scott

Old 12-20-2002, 08:09 PM
TOUGHLover
Elder User
Valvoline motor oiil??

>I'm thinkin about switching from Havoline to Valvoline motor
>oil. What do you guys think about Valvoline motor oil??
>THANKS A BUNCH!!

Hey B.B. - Valvoline has always been a favorite of mine, in fact it's my "default" brand of choice - I've used alot of it, always felt comfortable w/ it, never had any trouble out of it.

Have used others as well (including Havoline), and have had no problems directly (or indirectly for that matter) with any of them - (I DO stick w/ latest "API-SAE" specs though) - and average intervals somewhere in the neighborhood of 5000 miles (depending on MANY factors - have changed at 1500 miles and have gone 8000 miles), but for a number of reasons (too numerous to go into tonight) I always feel confident w/ "Valvo", and fall back on it w/o thinking twice.

You asked for opinions - just giving mine - am curious though why you're considering the switch FROM Havoline?

Thanks - Glenn . . .

Old 12-20-2002, 08:19 PM
nzabka
Elder User
Valvoline motor oiil??

NAPA is Valvoline????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-X23

huh, that's pretty interesting. I'm gonna have to go see my buddies at NAPA and see what kind of deal they have on the house brand.

Old 12-21-2002, 12:09 AM
blownbronco
Senior User
Valvoline motor oiil??

The reason I'm deciding to switch is beause, My local auto part store (pepboys), is for some reason not selling Havoline anymore. The next least expensive oil (under $2.50 there) is Valvoline! I won't even use pennzoil! The only way for me to get havoline is to drive 15 minutes to a Target and pick it up!! THATS WHY!!:-X12

Old 12-21-2002, 09:57 AM
flyboy2610
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Valvoline motor oiil??

Switch oils to save 15 minutes?
If that's what you want to do.
But I use Havoline in everything I own and like it.
Hope Valvoline works out for you.

Old 12-21-2002, 11:49 AM
TOUGHLover
Elder User
Valvoline motor oiil??

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 21-Dec-02 AT 12:53 PM (EST)]I reckon the man is saying it's 30 minutes (round-trip) and could be 10 - 30 miles depending on the type of traffic (speed, or lack thereof) he might encounter.

And there may be a "psychological" factor to bellying-up to a parts-counter, a place you are familiar with, used to, COMFORTABLE AT - as opposed to parking at a "Target" walking a 1/4 mile from the lot to the BACK of the store, and then standing in a check-out line w/ Lord knows how many other people, buying clothes and/or whatever else they sell at Target.

I do believe Havoline's quality (while probably always very high) to only improve - considering the mergers or acquistions w/ Chevron and/or whomever.

Tough call, but as others have said, it's hard to go wrong using proper specs (API-SAE/SL GF-3) AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, changing at proper intervals. - Glenn . . .

PS - Could buy it at Target or somewhere else a case or two (or more) at a time and save on the "AG!-Factor".

Old 12-21-2002, 02:27 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Valvoline motor oiil??

>The next least expensive oil (under $2.50 there) is Valvoline!

Wow, your Pep Boys sounds pretty pricey. Where is it located at, Beverly Hills on Rodeo Drive?

I guess I must live way out in the sticks, because it takes me almost 15 minutes to get anywhere where I could buy oil. But that's one good reason why I like to use a common brand that can be found most anywhere. Plus I do like to score a good bargain on a case if I happen to see any of the brands I like.

That's one reason that I tried using the NAPA/Valvoline in some of my stuff. NAPA was half the distance to the bulk store where I get my Chevron Supreme and I didn't have to stand in line with a dozen people all buying $200 worth of toilet paper!

Scott

Old 12-22-2002, 06:06 PM
poopey
Senior User
Valvoline motor oiil??

Valvoline all-climate is good oil,its what most of your mechanics and engine rebuilders recommend.:-)

Old 12-22-2002, 07:32 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Valvoline motor oiil??

If I am not running mobil1 synthetic I run valvoline all climate or durablend. I am now running maxlife 10W40 in the crown vic becasue it does definitely cut down on consumption. My dad has run havoline long before it came in plastic bottles and has never had problems in his farm equipment.

Old 12-22-2002, 11:54 PM
blownbronco
Senior User
Valvoline motor oiil??

Why is it that havoline is a darker color than Valvoline. Is valvoline cleaner oil?

Quick Reply: Valvoline motor oiil??