Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

pyrometer probe??

Old 07-20-2009, 06:17 PM
fordguy_460
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question pyrometer probe??

ok i bought my truck with the guage pods already installed by a creditable comapny near me and i have read some things on the internet that i think tell me my probe is in the wrong spot...so were is the pyrometer probe supposed to be placed? mine is on the down pipe for my turbo. and if it is in the wrong place were should i put it?....thanks for any and all info!

Old 07-20-2009, 06:33 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fordguy_460
ok i bought my truck with the guage pods already installed by a creditable comapny near me and i have read some things on the internet that i think tell me my probe is in the wrong spot...so were is the pyrometer probe supposed to be placed? mine is on the down pipe for my turbo. and if it is in the wrong place were should i put it?....thanks for any and all info!
Here are some instructions from ITP diesel. There is a pic on page 17 that shows you where to drill for the sensor. http://www.itpdiesel.com/other/7.3L%...structions.pdf hope it helps.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:35 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not a recommended spot for accurate readings, up-pipe or exhaust manifold pipe is where you want to put it, pre turbo is recommended. You want to know how hight the EGT's are before they get to the turbo. Don't know how creditable they are but thats not in the desired spot. I got mine tapped into the drivers side header manifold, pre-turbo. Mark's got you hooked up above..

Old 07-20-2009, 07:30 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
X2 on the exhaust manifold. Nobody cares how hot the exhaust is after the turbo, you want to monitor how hot the turbo and your pistons are getting.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:48 PM
caleb90
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
it makes sense to put it pre turbo for a more accurate reading.but in the same sense it would be smarter to put it post turbo,because if the prob were to ever brake in the manifold it would go through the turbo and shred it up..Most of the big rigs i have seen have the probe post turbo.but this is just a thought of mine,and i was also wondering were the best spot is to put the probe.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:06 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
The probe is about the width of a pen refill or smaller and the chances of that tip breaking off in there are extremely rare. All the probe hardware is basicly tapped into the manifold, just the tip is in there...

Old 07-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
An Isspro pyrometer that is intended for use with a post turbo thermocouple.

A pyrometer that is intended for use with a pre turbo thermocouple.

As you can see, it depends on where the probe is mounted.
Either one will work fine.
I have the pre turbo setup, FWIW.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:22 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Another pre-turbo(second one) Isspro gauge here, nice pics and info Dan...

Old 07-20-2009, 10:54 PM
fordguy_460
Junior User
awesome info!...thanks maevans for the info and instructions....when my new exhaust come in ill be moveing the probe to the driver exhaust manifold...once again thanks everyone for the info...i'll be getting my stuff switched over were it needs to be soon....so much for the "creditable" shop that did the work. i know now to have it done and done right ill check here then tackle it myself...thanks again!

Old 07-21-2009, 06:35 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

pre turbo for me 2

Old 07-21-2009, 10:23 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by caleb90
it makes sense to put it pre turbo for a more accurate reading.but in the same sense it would be smarter to put it post turbo,because if the prob were to ever brake in the manifold it would go through the turbo and shred it up..Most of the big rigs i have seen have the probe post turbo.but this is just a thought of mine,and i was also wondering were the best spot is to put the probe.
Do a search on the PSD forums and see how many probes have broken off and caused trouble for people. I'll bet you have a hard time finding anything. Pre turbo is the way to go IMO. RubberDuck did some testing a while back by having both a pre and post turbo pyro and found up to 500° differences between the two.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:37 PM
fordguy_460
Junior User
excellent info...i had a thought last night i have the autometer cobalt EGT guage for my pyro...kwikkordead..u posted pics of "pre" and "post" turbo guages, and mine doesnt have the nice green yellow red areas so does anyone know if the autometer cobalt is intended for pre or post? as well what is an ideal temp for both pre and post? thanks again for the info!

Old 07-21-2009, 04:43 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
excellent info...i had a thought last night i have the autometer cobalt EGT guage for my pyro...kwikkordead..u posted pics of "pre" and "post" turbo guages, and mine doesnt have the nice green yellow red areas so does anyone know if the autometer cobalt is intended for pre or post? as well what is an ideal temp for both pre and post? thanks again for the info!
It will work for either pre or post, just make sure you know what temp not to exceed and you're set. The color coding on the Isspro gauge isn't important, its where the colors change that is. Look at the photos again and you'll see that the post turbo gauge coloring is "calibrated" differently than the pre-turbo gauge. Your pre-turbo temps shouldn't exceed 1250° for extended periods of time, but for short bursts you can go to 1400-1500°.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:55 PM
fordguy_460
Junior User
so per the pics post..not above 1050* and pre not above 1250*...sounds good to me....ok next question is is there a difference between a pre and a post thermocouple? since i didnt put mine in i dont know if it came with 2 types. mine is smaller not like the one chunderdownunder posted a pic of.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:08 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
so per the pics post..not above 1050* and pre not above 1250*...sounds good to me....ok next question is is there a difference between a pre and a post thermocouple? since i didnt put mine in i dont know if it came with 2 types. mine is smaller not like the one chunderdownunder posted a pic of.
No difference in thermocouples, just move the probe pre-turbo and plug the hole in the down pipe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pyrometer probe??