Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

05 Escape Brake issues

Old 07-15-2009, 03:43 PM
mambo5
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Escape Brake issues

Anyone else having issues or are there known issues with brakes / braking system on these models ? I have a rear disc brake (abs) where only part of the pad is contacting the rotor. Just on the one side maybe 1/2 inch max. the rest of the rotor shows some rust. It's only just been in to Ford and they've replaced the pads, serviced the calipers and machined the rotors but the same issue still exists. Has to be a caliper right ? The front brakes when braking average to harder will create a distinct wobble on the steering wheel - especially at highway speeds. Usually warped rotors right ? The question here is the front rotors were machined & pads replaced at 52K - the car is now at 77k - so is this normal? Or is there just a poor braking system inherent on these models ?? Any help guys, thanks !

Old 07-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Dan Robertson
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds to me like your calipers are the culprit. Make sure that the slides in your rear calipers are working properly and that the pads are installed correctly . If it were me, I would replace the caliper. As far as the wobble that you are describing, it sounds like you are correct in diagnosing a warped rotor. Heat from heavy braking is the culprit here. I purchased my 05 used and had the dealer replace the front rotors before I agreed to buy it. Within one year, the replacement rotors had warped again. I got them replaced under warranty from the auto parts store. So far, no more problems.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:27 PM
mambo5
New User
Originally Posted by Dan Robertson
It sounds to me like your calipers are the culprit. Make sure that the slides in your rear calipers are working properly and that the pads are installed correctly . If it were me, I would replace the caliper. As far as the wobble that you are describing, it sounds like you are correct in diagnosing a warped rotor. Heat from heavy braking is the culprit here. I purchased my 05 used and had the dealer replace the front rotors before I agreed to buy it. Within one year, the replacement rotors had warped again. I got them replaced under warranty from the auto parts store. So far, no more problems.
Thanks ! Sounds like a design flaw maybe - I wonder what the actual braking ratio is between front & rear on these. How long have you had the current (good) rotors on time / miles ???

Old 07-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Dan Robertson
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The old rule of thumb was that your front brakes did 80% of the work, but that may not be true any longer with rear disks. I have put a little over 30,000 miles on our 05 since I got it nearly two years ago. I had the vehicle for 6 months and had put 13,000 miles on it when the front rotors warped again. I replaced the rear brakes (replaced the original rotors too) at the same time.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Trail_Rider
Fleet Mechanic
I have to agree with the sliders in the rear calipers. This is what allows the pad opposite the piston to adjust. It should move freely. I've recently done two brake jobs (chevy and honda) where the slides would barely move. After getting the slides out it was simply a matter of a wire wheel and some good grease to get them working as good as new with a dramatic improvement on braking.