1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Idles fast...then dies!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 03:22 PM
lurchy98
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idles fast...then dies!

Hi everyone,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
I have a 98 ranger 2.5 4 cyl and auto trans. It has 178000 miles on it and has began to idle very high then die as soon as you put it in gear. It does have a Check Engine light on, but it is hard to get the codes read when you can't make it to the parts store. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to read the codes or any ideas of what this might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.<o></o>
<o></o>
Thanks!

Old 07-14-2009, 03:50 PM
eranger
New User
There is a way to get codes from the computers, on my late 80's early 90's fords you find the black connector and jumper two leads together, then watch the Check engine light flash, they will spit out codes than search the internet ( google) the 2 or 3 digit numbers. This is the method I've always used, it takes a couples times to make sure you get the same codes a few times before moving on to repair.

Your model is much newer and prob has OBD 2 instead of my OBD 1, which has a different method, Not sure on those, but the method I use is forums such as this one, or buy as emission diagnostic manual, if you can find.

Good luck

Old 07-14-2009, 06:53 PM
k9feces
New User
My ranger did something similar, the intake came off and air wasn't passing through the MAF sensor so it would die.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:24 PM
KaoticCreations
Freshman User
Take a look at you intake plumbing for any holes, cracks, etc.. Just as k9feces was talking about, this could easily cause your issue. I found duct tape to be a simple temporary fix to get around for parts and such while in this situation before. And it will throw a code, probably something like air/fuel mix not within range.

I'm not sure here, but the IAC valve may be something to look at. Haven't really had any problems with one before, so not quite sure this could cause this issue. So correct me if I'm off key here guys.

And from what I've heard and experienced, many rangers will idle high at initial start up. Mine does this, but steadily "relaxes". Have you tried letting the truck warm up before putting it into gear?

That's pretty much all I got.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:11 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
You may have more than one problem.

Your 98 is OBD-2, so you'll need a code reader, or scantool to pull the computer trouble codes.

Most autoparts stores have code readers & some now have scantools that you can rent for a refundable deosit, on their "Loan-A-Tool" program.

All that said, you could have a serious vacuum leak that the IAC can't compensate for & the PCV valve's rubber connecting hose is a common vaacuum leak problem on this engine & should be on your suspect list, along with the IAC, TPS & maybe a fuel pressure/delivery problem.

So get the code numbers pulled & posted.

More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:07 PM
lurchy98
Senior User
Well, last night I bought a can of carb/choke cleaner and went to town. I cleaned the MAF sensor, then I pulled the throttle body off of the intake and cleaned it out. I cleaned the idle air control valve and pretty much everything else that I could reach. Everything was VERY nasty and had alot of carbon and gunk build up on it. I put everything back together and so far it has been idleing fine. No hesitation, no fast idle, nothing. Hopefully this has solved the problem.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:14 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Good to hear you think you have it fixed & that it was such an inexpensive one too.

I'm seldom that lucky, as cleaning my IAC didn't last, so if your idle problem returns don't be surprised.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
yep, it is vac. leak