Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air box mod

Old 07-13-2009, 12:50 PM
supersle
Junior User
supersle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Air box mod

Well I am new to the Ford V10 sceen, but not new to modding and increasing air flow and power. So I started modding the X the past couple weeks. Nothing big, but noticed a great gain so I thought I would post it.

The air box on the V10 is obviously restrictive and CAI for these things are rediculous at $250+. So what I've done is open up air flow a bit. First of all I got a K&N cone filter (just the drop in replacement). That did pretty well with better response and increased MPGs from 14 on the Hwy to about 15.5-16. So I then took the front cover with the snorkle off the filter and strapped the filter back on with the strap but without the box over the fiter anymore. Testing brought that up to about 18-19MPG on the Hwy.

However the filter was just sitting there and not real well attached, so I took the cover that had been removed and cut it down, leaving the ring to attach the strap to and the base, but allowing the filter to be fully exposed. Now it is in there securely but opened up and getting much better power and response.

Pics to follow.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:37 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
If I understand (which is always a gamble ) you have engine compartment air going straight thru the filter ?

Pics will help

Old 07-13-2009, 03:31 PM
supersle
Junior User
supersle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr View Post
If I understand (which is always a gamble ) you have engine compartment air going straight thru the filter ?

Pics will help
Not exactly. Yes, I have yet to make a heat shield surrounding the filter to block it directly from engine air alone. But I forgot to mention that I also made a nice big hole in the front radiator/grill support to allow fresh air from the outside to be directly induced from the outside. I realized I may get a few more bugs and dirt from this, but the benifits outweigh this and I have a K&N that can just be cleaned a bit more often right.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Monsta
Post Fiend
Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.
This is an ancient mod...

18-19mpg??????????

Old 07-13-2009, 03:35 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
ok - gotcha ! Yeppers - cool air is your friend !! Basically a ZooDad mod for the v10 !

Have had the zoodad on all 3 of my deezle Ex's and no matter if it helps or not - it was free and I like it !!!

fer sure an air tube (like a large a/c duct )or shield to keep engine heat away will help...

Old 07-13-2009, 08:16 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue
AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
this was the first thing i did to my v10 when i got it, exhaust is up next! then a programmer.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:37 PM
wallz
Postmaster
wallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud of
Before cutting the complete ring off, ya shouds kept about 1/3 around it and ya coulda used it as a heat shield.
Looks like tooo big of a hole in the front for my taste tho, we get to much rain up here and I like going thru water to much and wouldn't want to chance getting water in there.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:46 PM
gr8scott72
Posting Guru
gr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by supersle View Post
increased MPGs from 14 on the Hwy

Testing brought that up to about 18-19MPG on the Hwy.
36% better mpgs by exposing the intake air to your hot engine bay temps? Um, sorry, but not a chance. I'm not buying it.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:51 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue
AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
i did the same thing, but didnt notice much mpg differance at all. but it does sound better and a very tad bit better responce.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Skullonarm
Senior User
Skullonarm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think it's a good idea. Thanks for bringing it up. It may be an ancient mod, but some of us ain't ancient. Nothing tried nothing gain I think you did good. I put a drop in K&N filter in my rig and my mpg went up 1,5 mpg in town and last weekend going up major grades in a mountainous area I got 15.6 mpg, although there were also a lot of down hill as well, and I wasn't towing. I still like the extra help.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Paul T
Elder User
Paul T is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by supersle View Post
So what I've done i Testing brought that up to about 18-19MPG on the Hwy.

Pics to follow.
My grandfather always said that there are 2 things that a man will stretch the truth a little bit on.

One is the size of his manhood, and the other is his trucks MPG's.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:52 PM
brian Felts
Senior User
brian Felts is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well I figure when I pull up next to a prius or Civic they are just saving gas for us to use.

Brian

Old 07-17-2009, 09:11 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Maybe .5 more MPG at high rpms or -.5 because it is full of hot air..........sound familiar?.