Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:44 PM
JHoffman93
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Trip

Takeing a road trip from Wichita KS to St. Johnsberry VT. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to take with me for spare parts and tools?

Old 07-09-2009, 10:17 PM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i always take a tool bag with me wherever i go.sockets screwdrivers a couple sets of wrenches test light multimeter e.t.c. i also carry a jump pack in my toolbox.as far as spare parts i carry all the spare parts i can thats why i got a deep tool box.i overkill everything though.i would toss a couple gallons of water in the back as well

Old 07-10-2009, 12:05 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
one size of every wrench up to 7/8, 1.5" crescent, pipe wrench, two foot cheater bar, 12/16/18 gauge wire, 12 feet each, multiple connectors and fuses, i have a spare voltage converter and harness for it, 6 feet of fuel hose and connectors to match it, torx combo tool, allen combo tool, spare xm antenna, ziploc bag of rags and shop towels, metal duct tape, reg duct tape, electric tape, rtv red sealer, water weld, jb weld, and an assortment of hose clamps. That would just about do it. i have most but i must confess, the spare xm antenna is just because i get crap reception out here in nowhere's ville. Cant go without and i got it free at a garage sale with the purchase of a propane tank.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:01 PM
JHoffman93
Senior User
Boy, its a good thing I drive a 3/4 ton! Thanks for the input.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:54 PM
RunRed
Senior User
I carry twice as many tools in my dodge as I ever did in the ford. I got the toolbox full in back and am constanly kicking all the sockets and screwdrivers back under the drivers seat. Think all I have in the ford are zip ties and a crescent wrench

Old 07-10-2009, 09:46 PM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
i always carry that amount of tools even if its a brand new vehicle.i just like to be prepared.it has saved me a couple times and several others that were broke down.)i have a habit of helping people on the side of the road)

Old 07-11-2009, 09:37 AM
JHoffman93
Senior User
Rupejosh, I wish there was more people like you in this world. If, God forbid, I break down on my trip I hope I run accross someone like you. Most people seem to be too busy to stop and help these days. I carry a box of tools in my truck too, although not near as many as some on here. LOL

Old 07-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
What you want to carry depends on the condition of your truck.

Lots of problems, you probably want to carry a good selection of tools and parts for the weaker areas of the vehicle.

If you are on top of the maintenance, then a smaller selection of tools and parts should get you by fine.

A spare fuel filter and filter wrench with a bottle of Diesel Kleen to fill the new filter and a basic set of hand tools and a tow strap is about all I would want to carry with me.

The biggest problem I would expect to have with mine on a trip would be water in the fuel.
That is also the what would be most likely to strand you along the side of the road as long as the belts and hoses are in good shape.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:49 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
you know that is the best feeling, seeing someone on the side of the road and having the right tool to help them. There was a poor guy stranded because his throttle cable broke and i let him borrow my vice grips to get home, i didnt expect to see them again but i didnt care. The next day he was waiting in the same spot with the vice grips and a gift card. It only takes a little to change someones day.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I prefer to carry a real good set of Jumper cables over a Jump pack.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 07-11-2009, 11:49 PM
macman85602
Tuned
I try to carry as many tools as i can anything and everything. Sadly,I think the reason people don't stop is too many risks in helping people they don't know.
the link below is about 2 Police officers who stopped to help what they thought were stranded motorist but found out were carjackers.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/dead/catego...lved-shooting/

I still stop and help when I can. Last thanksgiving I stopped to help a young woman who was stranded in an intersection when her car died. I pushed her into a parking lot and she was able to call for her husbandwho was about 80 miles away. I could tell she was an afraid young woman alone with a baby stranded in sub zero sleet in a town she did not know. I was able call my pastors and to talk her into going with them to the church which is just up the street to be safe and out of the weather. That is what helping people is about.

Sorry to be so rambling

Scott

Old 07-12-2009, 12:37 AM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by JHoffman93
Rupejosh, I wish there was more people like you in this world. If, God forbid, I break down on my trip I hope I run accross someone like you. Most people seem to be too busy to stop and help these days. I carry a box of tools in my truck too, although not near as many as some on here. LOL
i am only 28 but i was raised a little old school and i get great satisfaction in helping other people out as much as i can.especially older folks it seems like they have lost all faith in the younger generations.i had values instilled in me at a young age and i try to pass that on to others as well.it does bother me when i pull up to help someone and they have a scared look on their face nobody should be scared of a helpful person but i cant blame them them with all the wackos out there.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:05 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
I pull over for folks too, and lately it seems like every time I decided to take a trip there is someone in need of help, but ever since I almost killed someone with my old car while he was in the process of sneaking up on me on the passenger side with his buddy trying to distracting me at my door, when I get out of the cab now there is always an open Smith & Wesson hunting knife in my pocket, you know the scary black ones with a semi-serrated 4" blade, I also have a 30" wrecking bar at a very easy to access location and I'm darn near surgical with that one... Sad that I have to do this, but like those police officers found out some people can only be helped by putting them 6 feet under.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't remember the last time I passed someone needing help, I have never had any bad experiences, I have had some lovely ones though!

These days, I pull over way in front of them and DO NOT walk back to them, just holler to them, if they have a Cell I move on, If they don't I go about half way and lay my phone on the ground and return to my vehicle.

If they come past my phone ... they take their lives into their own hands!

Love helping, just the way I was raised!

One must be careful today, the lawyers of the world are keeping many that should be buried, free to do their dirty deeds over and over!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 07-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
And in the modern world, lawyers also have a way of making you responsible if anything happens to the vehicle after you stop.

Someone in the ditch, they have to agree I am not responsible for damage if I pull them out, otherwise I call a towing service.
Same with repairs.

The people trying to do harm to you is not limited to what happens while you are there trying to help them.

Sad world we live in anymore.

Quick Reply: Road Trip