Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Turbo

Old 07-04-2009, 09:16 PM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
SuperDoodie has a very good reputation on FTE.SuperDoodie has a very good reputation on FTE.SuperDoodie has a very good reputation on FTE.
New Turbo

Getting ready to pull my GTP38R turbo next week and install a Garrett GT42 in its place. I hope it performs as well as I think it will!

Old 07-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Sparkplugless
Senior User
Sparkplugless is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Pardon my ignorance, why the switch? I've heard of the 38R, what does the 42 have that the 38R doesn't? I assume it's a better match to your quite impressive list of mods. More boost? Why not one of the twin turbos?

Even though I probably don't have the proper appreciation of just what you have, I would like to congratulate you anyway. Congrats!

Old 07-04-2009, 10:18 PM
kupaa
Posting Guru
kupaa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
More air..........

Old 07-04-2009, 11:16 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
PowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Nice, is it ball bearing? Im guessing not, as you probably would have noted it. 1.01 housing? Where did you buy it from, my buddy just sold one, lol maybe you bought it from a guy in MD

Old 07-05-2009, 07:53 AM
PwerStroke99
Postmaster
PwerStroke99 has a very good reputation on FTE.PwerStroke99 has a very good reputation on FTE.PwerStroke99 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Greg, did you get the mounting kit done??? That will be one nice ride once it is put in. I guess i will need to check out the truck when i get home!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:07 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.
I'd like to know the difference between the 38R and the GT42, i,m assuming more flow?? Do remember your were going with this turbo in an earlier thread, subscribing Greg...

Old 07-05-2009, 08:15 AM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
SuperDoodie has a very good reputation on FTE.SuperDoodie has a very good reputation on FTE.SuperDoodie has a very good reputation on FTE.
The main differences are the wheels. The compressor wheel on the 38R is 66mm, while the GT4294 is 70.3 mm. Exhaust side on the 38R is 88mm while the 4294 is 94mm.

The maps are very close on the bottom end, but the 4294 is much wider mid to top range and should support 55-60 psi while the 38R is tapped out at 40 psi.

I know of 3 other people running this turbo who all really like it.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Bigcat350
Posting Guru
Bigcat350 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bigcat350 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bigcat350 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Congratís Greg. Glad to hear you got it I hope it performs like to want it to. Make sure and let us know.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:24 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.
Thanks for the explaination Greg, enjoy it...nice...

Old 08-15-2009, 06:08 PM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
Originally Posted by big poppa pump View Post
Thanks for the explaination Greg, enjoy it...nice...
You betcha

Old 08-15-2009, 07:48 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Did you get that monster in Greg, just wondering, soon?? That thing looks mean...

Old 08-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Why not go with dual turbos, use the big one to feed the little one?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:19 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..
papadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead View Post
Why not go with dual turbos, use the big one to feed the little one?
Wouldn't you do it the other way? Little one feeding the big one?

Old 08-15-2009, 11:18 PM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
Originally Posted by big poppa pump View Post
Did you get that monster in Greg, just wondering, soon?? That thing looks mean...
Yes I did get it installed a few days ago. Spools up surprisingly fast, almost as fast as my 38R did. This thing is nasty once I get above 10 psi and hammer it. I have not done a WOT run, I heard these need some break in miles.

Here are a few pictures.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:58 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
I can say I never seen a setup like that, some pre fabing, looks like on the cold side IC, correct?? Is the whistle more noticable between the 38R and the GT42?? Good deal Greg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.