1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

03 Expy - No A/C coming out of front vents

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:24 PM
chiefjefe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Expy - No A/C coming out of front vents

Has anyone had this problem. I can't get the a/c or any air for that matter to come out of the front dash vents. It only comes out from the defrost vents on top of the dash and from underneath only. I also do not get any a/c on the overhead vents for the rear passengers. Does this sound like a blower problem?

Old 06-29-2009, 04:08 PM
alloro
Received 4,215 Likes on 2,449 Posts
It sounds like you've lost the vacuum feed to the HVAC controls.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:18 PM
chiefjefe
New User
Thanks. I like to do most of the work myself but I've never worked with HVAC systems. I guess it's off to the dealer unless you can recommend an auto manual to attempt the repair on my own. As you know, money is tight these days.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:34 AM
broncoholic
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I can't comment on the front dash vents, but the rear is electrically/mechanically actuated and has failed on many people, including myself. There is a gear that strips out inside the actuator box. The rear HVAC is on the passenger side of the rear compartment. There is a molded tray by the rear flip-out window. Pop that tray out and look around inside. You'll find the actuator box mounted with a couple screws. Pull it and take it to the dealer with you, there are a couple different designs. There is also an actuator for the hot to cold diverter, so make sure you pull the right one. Actually, make sure that one is working properly while you're in there.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:25 AM
chiefjefe
New User
Thanks. I remember seeing a post from another user with step by step instructions on replacing the actuator box. I'll take a look at those and hopefully that will take care of my HVAC problems.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:29 AM
bumparker
Senior User
Don't make it harder than it needs to be. Most likely a vacuum leak near the battery. Search the forum especially HVAC, I had the same problem and fixed in 20 minutes with new vacuum hose. If you can't find the info let me know and I'll tell write it down for you. There was a reecent poster in this forum with the same problem that I responded to with the same information.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:22 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Vacuum leak aside, the problem in the front is usually the blend door itself (axle) and the problem in the rear is the blend door actuators. There are various fixes available for the blend door, from dash removal to a few aftermarket kits that send you in through the back of the glove box space with a metal replacement door.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:56 PM
madsonp
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
The blend door has nothing to do with which vent the air comes out of, it's only for temp. control. I agree with alloro and bumparker, it's a vacuum leak for sure.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:42 AM
chiefjefe
New User
Well, I finally had time this weekend to look at my a/c problems. I found two problems, first I found a vacuum leak on some hoses connected to a "T" connector which is located on the passenger side firewall right behind the battery. Second, one of the actuators in the rear was making a "clicking" sound. I removed the actuator and have the part on order. As for the vacuum leak, I ran out of time (should have worked on this first) but hope to replace the hoses this weekend. There's not alot of room around those hoses so I guess I'll probably have to remove my battery to give me some extra room.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:47 AM
bumparker
Senior User
You'll need to remove the battery to get to the vacuum canister and replace all the vacuum lines. Check all the lines as the proximity to the battery (acid) tends to degrade them over time. Make sure your battery terminals stay free of battery acid. Fixing the vaccum leak will fix your vent problem.

I have replaced the rear actuator and it is broken again. I unplugged the connection to keep it from clicking and the vents are defaulting to top air...which is fine in Texas this time of year. The replacement (Ford OEM part) lasted about 2 years. Those actuators are a terrible design.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:50 PM
chiefjefe
New User
Thanks for the useful tips. I actually found your earlier post "Air blowing throught defrost only" just as you replied to my post. I just picked up the new rear actuator ($58) and vacuum lines ($10). I'll follow up with a post once I get these parts replaced and hopefully my a/c problems will be fixed.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:15 PM
chiefjefe
New User
Well, I replaced the actuator and no longer have the "clicking" sound. The whole process including panel removal and installation took me less than an hour. I know I saved some good money here. I also replaced some vacuum hoses which had holes and I no longer hear any vacuum leaks. BUT..........this is not the end of my A/C problems.

After showing off my newly learned a/c fixing skills to my wife and kids, my a/c started to go in/out while driving. I noticed that when I accelerated the air from the front vents almost went completely away. Even while I at cruising speed the air came back but occasionally went out again for a few seconds then come back. So now I'm puzzled. Has anyone else had this occur? I hope I just have another HVAC which I overlooked.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:23 PM
alloro
Received 4,215 Likes on 2,449 Posts
You are losing vacuum to the HVAC controls

Old 07-13-2009, 12:29 PM
chiefjefe
New User
Thanks "alloro. I just found an old posting in which you and "bumparker" responded to someone with the same problem. I'll check the lines going to the vacuum canister on the fender and the check valves.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:58 PM
bumparker
Senior User
When you accelerate the engine produces less vacuum, the vacuum canister behind the battery (a little plastic box) is used to supplement engine vacuum so that your HVAC controls don't do what you're experiencing now (vent to defrost). Somewhere you still have a small vacuum leak in your HVAC system. Make sure and check your canister is holding vacuum (you don't need an expensive tool just use vacuum hose and suck out all the air, see if it holds vacuum). I would look closely at the hard line that comes out of the firewall especially right near the connection to the check valve, it tends to crack/split right there. There are only a couple of vacuum lines and it may be a good idea to replace all the ones in the engine bay. You may have to cut the end off the hard line and reseat the connection using some adhesive...but the hardline is very small in diameter so make sure not to plug the line accidently with adhesive. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find the problem and then have the satisfaction of knowing you saved yourself some money.

Quick Reply: 03 Expy - No A/C coming out of front vents