Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Tire Pressure for new Geolanders

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:43 PM
crosbo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Pressure for new Geolanders

I picked up some new Yoko Geolander AT-S's today to replace the Big-O XT all-terrains I've ran for the last 3 years. The XT's were long-wearing tires, but I grew weary of the noise and was looking to try a less aggressive tread, since I travel asphalt most the time these days.

Anyway, after they had mounted the tires and finished the alignment, I asked the tech what pressure he had set the tires...lo and behold...35psi. I was shocked. These were the same size as the 315/75/16's that I had been running at 45#, and the max pressure on the side of the tire read 50# max...so 35????

So I had him air the tires up to 40#, then I drove the 10mi home at mostly highway speeds. I love that I can hear my radio, engine and the whistle again along with the very smooth ride...but it seemed too soft.

What are your thoughts on the pressure? For some reason, even 40# seems too little to me...and should be at 45 unless I'm hauling heavy, then maybe up to 50#. Does that make sense? I don't want to cause the tires to wear abnormally due to my having set the tire pressure too high or low. Suggestions?

Old 06-26-2009, 07:52 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got a set of those tires too, mine are 285-75r16's and the sidewall says 65 PSI cold, I run them at 55-60 psi's all the time, towing they get bumped up to 65. Friend of mine that put them on only had 45 psi's, to low I think.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:57 PM
crosbo
Senior User
Thanx big Poppa.

Maybe I misread the side of the tire. I recall seeing a 65# figure on the side of the tire, but I thought that was stating it was a test value, or to never exceed 65# when seating the bead. I'll have to go back out and double-check before we head off to go eat catfish tonight.

Either way, I'm gonna bump up the pressure and see how they ride. Loving 'em so far.

Thanx

Old 06-26-2009, 08:09 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Take a second look, it will say just for example, max pressure 65 psi cold. I know the bigger tires, 305's,315's get less tire pressure than my 285's. My old 265's E rated had a 80 psi cold rating, so its important. Glad to help.. Also, my Geo's are D rated..but only 100 pound load difference per tire than the E rated, thats why I went one size up..

Old 06-26-2009, 08:09 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have a '00 F-250. This truck came from the factory with E-rated tires. I hope you put the same tires on. My E-rated tires say 80 psi max. Look on the side of the tire for what the tire manufacture recomends for tire PSI. The sticker on the door piller will get you the best ride when you take it off the lot. Let us know what the tire says.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:31 PM
crosbo
Senior User
Yep, you're right Poppa. My tire provides the max weight rating at a maximum pressure of 50#. Therefore I raised the pressure to 45# all around. Not only "look better" (read as 'more correct'), but I'm sure they will ride/wear better. I guess i'll find out soon enough.

I hear you on the load rating Miller. The tire in this size has a "D" rating, but interestingly enough, the weight rating is the same as the "E" rating for another size. Never-the-less, I never tow so heavy as I would be worried, and the previous tires I ran that were also rated at a "D" worked well.

Thanx for the feedback guys. Have a great weekend.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:38 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Glad we can help..

Old 06-27-2009, 12:43 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Regarding the d, and e plys, when you go up in size, you can get away with a d ply tire.

The weight ratings of the tire really tell all. If your going with the factory size, then e ply should be what you get.

Never hurts to go overkill though, but I ran my d ply good years for along time with excellent results.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:07 AM
crosbo
Senior User
Well guys...I guess I'm in a love/hate or rather love/confused relationship right now. I love how smooth the ride is with these new tires...even after increasing the pressure to 45psi. It's just that I feel so disconnected when driving now...kind of like I've taken a benedryl and now I'm kinda numb. No longer have the rumble of the tires or the bumpy ride. I like being able to hear my passengers (sometimes) and I like hearing the engine, but when taking off etc. I think I used to also rely upon the feedback from the tires when modulating the throttle. I say I think I used to do so, because taking off from stops this evening seemed almost confusing. Sorry guys, just hard to explain.

On the return trip from dinner tonight, the Mrs. was telling the children how the trip to Oklahoma last week in my pickup almost drove her crazy, with all the road noise, turbo yada, yada, yada. Now she likes it so much that while eating dinner tonight she suggested loading up and heading to Chicago to visit the M-i-L...oh no.

Anyway, the old tires took some getting accustomed to (the extra noise, ride etc.), so I guess I will just adapt and become accustomed to these. I'm still thrilled about the tires, but right now just suffering from confused senses.