Sponsored by: DP Tuner

AC modification

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:19 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AC modification

Ok I remember back a few months ago seeing a thread about shimming something down in the air conditioning system that would make the air colder. My truck blows cold air for about 15 min, then hot air for another 15 min. The refrigerant is fine, I just need to know what this mod was.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Nick 99
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Stolen from Springerpop!
Try this to test:

Turn on the A/C and run it until the clutch won't re-engage. Be REAL CAREFUL now! Take a plastic screwdriver handle and "tap" the end of the (not spinning) clutch. Does it immediately engage and operate normally until it next cycles off, and then won't re-engage on its own?

If so:

Get out your feeler gauges, or your calibrated eyeballs, and determine that the air gap is about .050" to .060" (fifty or sixty thousandths). That's too much! It's supposed to be around .030. But wait! There's no need to replace the compressor and have to re-charge the system. There's a "dirt-cheap" fix!

See the little bolt right in the middle of the compressor shaft? Take it out. You won't be letting any Freon out. Pull the clutch plate straight out. There is one or more "shims" that look like small washers in there, either on the end of the shaft or down in the hole that fits on the shaft. Take off about .030" worth of them and reassemble. Go ahead, use a little blue (NOT green!) Loctite on the bolt as insurance.

Make sure you now have at least .025" of gap. Start the engine and check to insure your problem is gone.

That's all there is to it.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:54 PM
mxdadof2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clint,

The info that springerpop gave is spot on... I did it just the other nite and there is nothing to it.... one other thing that was mentioned was once the belts are off the pulley have some one turn the key on but not crank the vehicle and watch for the clutch to engage. Once the clutch engages then it will make it alot easier to get the nut off the clutch. I found that when the clutch was removed there was 1 shim right there where the clutch goes to the spline drive and I removed that shim and reinstalled my clutch and my gap ended up being .28..... If you need any more help feel free to pm me and I can give you my number to walk you through this. It is about a 20-30 min job at max. My A/C is colder than a well diggers butt now.........Also make sure you have Blue loctite to put back on the nut when you install it ....... total cost to me was $10.00 if you dont count the that was consumed doing this but still on took bout 30 mins for me....

Old 06-25-2009, 11:58 PM
mxdadof2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselBeast01
Ok I remember back a few months ago seeing a thread about shimming something down in the air conditioning system that would make the air colder. My truck blows cold air for about 15 min, then hot air for another 15 min. The refrigerant is fine, I just need to know what this mod was.
Clint ,

here is the link to the post I started the other day just in case you have any questions or concerns but feel free to pm me and will get you my number if need be..https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-question.html

Ron

Old 06-26-2009, 06:07 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks so much... I wont be able to get to it until next week. I guess until then I will just be burning up while on the raod.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:14 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, thats pretty cool, never heard of that fix..