Sponsored by: Moser

Small pickup invasion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:42 AM
ROUSTYBOY
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small pickup invasion?

Not a threat to the F-150 but they are to the smaller truck world.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/06/24/auto...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Old 06-24-2009, 08:12 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That thing sure is fugly but its hard to dispute the appeal of a 4 cylinder diesel that will out haul most V6 small pick ups out there. My guess is the fear of initial quality issues may keep some folks out of the showrooms until proven otherwise. My hope is that what remains of our big 3 will wake up and provide a reasonable alternative.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
I see something about this almost 2 years ago and they said that it will be like the US $40k trucks and they was going to be $22k "Yeah Righto" that sounds like a lot of money for what your getting to me. There no way on this earth, that one of them things is anything like a $40k truck. Im almost certain you could buy a 2010 F150 for less than they want for one of these. I also noticed their idea's for 40mpg on this thing have also dropped to 30mpg now. I would like to see how well this thing handles the crash tests also. Once they make it safe, it will be as heavy and doing as low MPG as the trucks we have in the US now.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:51 AM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
I really don't see those things going over really well, they might have strong sales in areas, but not all over. As much as the import brands like to brag about how great their trucks are, they are still overpriced, and when it comes down to trucks actually getting used as trucks, they just don't seem to hold up. Even the mighty Titan, which was supposed to be the "be all, end all" of trucks is hardely talked about anymore, and the word is that Dodge is going to build the next gen. Titan.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:04 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have looked at getting a small run around pickup, but never could justify it as the mileage difference was not that great. If they make 25-30mpg that would be a justification in my book. If they can be purchased in the low 20's they will sell. I know a lot of farmers who run rangers and s10s that would look hard at them, even though they are made in India.

BTW, I dont think anyone figures they will be on par with a 40k full size pickup.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:11 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Marc, i've read similar posts here previously about the mahindra (terrible name) and that little diesel may well prove reliable and efficient. Me thinks we should keep a close eye on sales here, they just might give the ranger, colorado etc a run for the money.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:18 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ROUSTYBOY
Not a threat to the F-150 but they are to the smaller truck world.
Not a threat to the 150?
Did you look at the payload capacity of that Mahindra?
"2700 lbs".

Hopefully they will open their Ohio plant soon.
Putting people back to work by picking up shuttered GM and Chrysler dealerships is not a bad thing either.
(cite: http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/2009062...08599190651700 & http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/new...idandmore.html )
The company is well capitalized and has a decent reputation with its tractors over here.

Perhaps they will be rugged enough to survive, or not...
But it isn't costing the American taxpayer a thing and small diesels are long overdue IMO.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Smaug
Posting Guru
Local paper ran an article a few months ago about one of the local dealerships dropping Volvo and picking up Mahindra trucks. I believe they will sell pretty good around here. Good gas mileage and a back seat and a bed for lots less than Sport Trac, Colorado/Canyon, Dakota, Frontier and Tacoma.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:35 AM
AlbusPlaustrum06
Senior User
The typical customer will be an "independent thinker" with an active lifestyle, said Larry Daniel, Global Vehicles' vice-president for sales.
"They don't really care what people think of what they drive," he said.
So basically this guy just said Ford/Dodge/Chevy/Toyota/Nissan truck drivers are knuckle dragging, vain, couch potatoes?

Old 06-26-2009, 11:19 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by AlbusPlaustrum06
So basically this guy just said Ford/Dodge/Chevy/Toyota/Nissan truck drivers are knuckle dragging, vain, couch potatoes?
That's not how I interpreted it.
I think he means those that want to use a truck for work and could care less about aftermarket bling will be ready to purchase a vehicle that can haul nearly a ton and a half and still get 30 mpg economy from its 4 cylinder diesel.
We, the ones that are too busy working to "really care what other people think of what they drive" are willing to get behind the wheel of something that ugly as long as it is reliable.

p.s. I can see them showing up in Georgia first since GV, the importer, is based in Alpharetta.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:23 AM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
I think he means those that want to use a truck for work and could care less about aftermarket bling will be ready to purchase a vehicle that can haul nearly a ton and a half and still get 30 mpg economy from its 4 cylinder diesel.
We, the ones that are too busy working to "really care what other people think of what they drive" are willing to get behind the wheel of something that ugly as long as it is reliable.
That is my thought as well.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:55 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Dealers are waiting to take stuff on...

Originally Posted by Smaug
Local paper ran an article a few months ago about one of the local dealerships dropping Volvo and picking up Mahindra trucks. I believe they will sell pretty good around here. Good gas mileage and a back seat and a bed for lots less than Sport Trac, Colorado/Canyon, Dakota, Frontier and Tacoma.
Speaking of dealers, our local Chrysler/Jeep dealer, which was on the *list* and is now not an official dealer, has become a used car dealer and general all-brand service center.

AND, there is word that they will grab a Mahindra franchise.

I'm guessing that there may be some other dealers who are looking at opportunities to stay afloat as businesses. Holes left by Pontiac or Saturn? Also a side brand for remaining GM and Chrysler dealers who don't want all their eggs in one basket.

George

Old 06-27-2009, 06:49 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
We also have a local Dodge dealer that lost his franchise recently. He sells Hyundai, Mercedes and is picking up the Mahindra line this fall.

I would actually consider a diesel 4x4 Mahindra truck if the prices are as good they project and the quality is high.

I'd rather see Ford step up and build something comperable.

Tim

Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 AM
the_webers_inc
A mostly quiet Supporter
The Mahindra pickup may be ugly, but maybe this will be just the push that Ford needs to reconsider/update the Ranger. The European Focus, Fiesta, Transit, etc. are on their way to North America, why not bring the Global Ranger (Diesel Powered) along too?

Euro/Global Ranger:

Attached Images    
Old 07-01-2009, 11:56 AM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
This truck has been discussed on FTE for well more than a year... I guess I'll believe it when I see it. Not that I doubt it, but I am not jumping to conclusions. If they can really deliver it as they say (price, mpg, capacity, etc) I honestly think it will be a big hit and shame on Ford and the other for not having a capable compact truck by now to compete with it. I still think its going to be hard to get a small diesel through EPA but thats probably why the estimated MPG has decreased over time. Nothing like the EPA to kill mpg... that makes sense right? With our advanced technology and green thinking the EPA causes MPG to go down?!? (I know, its really because they care more about emissions than mpg, and its easier to add on stuff to take out emissions than focus on it burning less fuel). And all the extra weight to make the thing pass safety for crashes and stuff...

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Yeah, a lot of people (like most onthe forums, myself included) take pride in there vehicle and the looks and aftermarket bling... However there is a lot of folks who dont care much about looks or brand loyalty. My wifes family is mostly farmers and they own a whole fleet of super duties. They also own just about anything under the sun for everything other than farm work. You'll hear em bragging about there little regular cab 4 cyl S10's and Rangers but they wont ever say much about there duallie diesel. I think its those kinda folks that will be all over the Mahindra. Someone who needs a truck for minor work, load up with feed bags or supplies, and dont care what it looks look or who makes it, and gets good mpg at a good price tag.