1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Mustang Fuel Tank Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 09:23 AM
71Nky
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bobby, I am going to try to do this also to my longbed, but I saw a question on here that got me to thinking about fuel slosh. If your gas cap is vented, then wouldn't fuel slosh out the back when stomping on it? Or am I missing something here?
I was going to order the 70 tank from Kentucky Mustangs (where you got yours since they are about 30 mins from me.) which I think is an unvented tank. The current cap I have on my truck is a locking type that I'm sure is vented. Currently with a full tank, I spill gas when making hard right turns or kicking it from a light. So I am thinking this might do the same thing when I am full of fuel.
Please advise anyone...

Old 02-15-2015, 11:09 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Good question amigo. I am contemplating installing a fiberglass tank in the frame of my '67 F-250 Highboy, and had a similar thought as to spillage. One of the local boat shops told me that they can make the tank, "No Problemo".. I believe they can, as they made several tanks for my boat. On the boat, they used an unvented fill cap, but the fill pipe has a 1/2" T, for a hose which runs to a vent. Tomorrow I will drop by the boat shop, and ask how they plan to do it in my truck...

baja

Old 02-15-2015, 11:51 AM
instig8r63
Cargo Master
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts
I think the locking caps are prone to spillage. I have a stock vented cap on my tank and do not have any spill issues.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:00 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Got my truck back from the body & paint shop in town. The flat bed is gone, and an original Ford bed in on & painted great... I have lots of space for a custom fuel tank, as I hope you can see in this morning's photos. I would like to hide the cap & fill pipe, similar to Bobby's. Vamos a ver... (we shall see)..

Old 12-24-2015, 05:55 PM
Skipinhouston
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very interesting how you managed to come up with this particular idea. And a very nice job indeed.
But as smart as you claim to be, you're also a thief.
John Niolon originally came up with this for Effies and I borrowed the idea and applied it to our Slick trucks (and cited his original idea which was published originally here in FTE) when I wrote the article which was published in Classic Truck Magazine in February 2004.
If you're going to take credit for somebody else's work, at least be creative enough to change things up a little bit. You not only copied the text, you copied the pictures too. FYI, here's the link to the original article:
Installing a Mustang Gas Tank - Tech Articles - Classic Trucks Magazine

Old 12-24-2015, 06:01 PM
Skipinhouston
New User
Oh yeah.
Merry Christmas

Old 12-24-2015, 07:34 PM
RichS2659
Cargo Master
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts
Actually Skippy, it is called Fair Use, and Bobby didn't receive a penny from posting it. And it is not exact as Bobby has a much cleaner installation than yours. It is not patented and there is not a copyright filed on it. His is mounted above the lower edge of the frame lip.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:53 PM
soliday
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Skipinhouston
Very interesting how you managed to come up with this particular idea. And a very nice job indeed.
John Niolon originally came up with this for Effies and I borrowed the idea and applied it to our Slick trucks (and cited his original idea which was published originally here in FTE) when I wrote the article which was published in Classic Truck Magazine in February 2004.
If you're going to take credit for somebody else's work, at least be creative enough to change things up a little bit. You not only copied the text, you copied the pictures too. FYI, here's the link to the original article:
I believe "your" article was in a 66 ford Not A BUMPSIDE . I installed a mustang tank in my 1930 ford coupe back in 1996 . Should I be upset at Bobby also ? Geesh dude , relax.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:20 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Yeah amigos, I installed a '66 mustang tank in my 1939 Beaterman Milk truck... and did it in 1970... did I steal an idea too"??? Sorry... very very sorry (Pee Wee Herman).. I will never throw rocks or insults at Bobby, as am so grateful for all his posting / sharing of time and experience, as well as way professional photos, that I am aghast, that anyone could find fault with someone trying to help... Bobby, it is sadly true, that no good deed goes unpunished.. I for one, want to apologize for the unkind criticism from an ungracious contributor, and will take any heat from his corner, any time. Keep posting, you are way appreciated amigo... Bring it on critic..

Baja

Old 12-25-2015, 12:40 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Skip joins this forum on December 18 and six days later, makes two posts (one to insult a member and the second was just a sarcastic, "Oh yeah, Merry Christmas.") to single someone out as a thief of an idea that Skip himself stole from someone else --Skip just mentions who he "borrowed" (stole) the idea from, when making the swap on his truck, then writes an article about it (for profit). I don't suppose you (monetarily) compensated Mr. Niolon after you were paid to write an article on your truck, based on information you "borrowed" (stole) from Mr. Niolon?

Lots of private individuals copy things they see on forums like this for their own personal use --or, use something as a guideline to go by since some changes may be required in someone else's particular application.

It wasn't as if Bobby was producing and selling somebodys patented kit. He made one bracket to use on his own personal truck.

If you're going to join forums just to call people a thief for stealing this idea, you're going to be very busy going down the line of people who have done numerous variations of this particular conversion.

Just remember though.... when pointing a finger at someone else, you have three more pointing right back at yourself.

If you have something constructive to contribute, we'd be glad to have you here. If not, the door that brought you in will take you right back out again. It's up to you if you want be a negative Nancy or, someone that's here to add to the collective knowledge and advancement of this forum.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:26 AM
instig8r63
Cargo Master
Was this post directed to me?
If so, show me where I copied text and pictures. The pix I used are of MY truck. Whatever link you're trying to post isn't working.
Thief? No, not a thief. My install is clean.
Whose idea did I steal when I swapped in the 460?

Old 12-25-2015, 09:18 AM
Skipinhouston
New User
Fair enough.
I always cite good ideas from other people and sources when I write anything up as I did in my original article.
In fact, I would have never seen this if it hadn't been sent to me by several people who noticed the similarities.
I made my point, you've made yours.
Instig8r63, rationalize all you want, but plagiarizing is still intellectual theft. We'll leave it at that.
Merry Christmas

Old 12-25-2015, 09:54 AM
instig8r63
Cargo Master
Fair enough.
I always cite good ideas from other people and sources when I write anything up as I did in my original article.
In fact, I would have never seen this if it hadn't been sent to me by several people who noticed the similarities.
I made my point, you've made yours.
Instig8r63, rationalize all you want, but plagiarizing is still intellectual theft. We'll leave it at that.
Merry Christmas
I asked you to show me where I copied text and pictures.
You're a hack.
Merry Christmas

Old 12-25-2015, 09:55 AM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I am thinking Skip got Coal in his stocking for Christmas this year .
Lighten up Frances geez

Old 12-25-2015, 09:57 AM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Quick Reply: Mustang Fuel Tank Install