Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cranked over, no start. Now nothing...

Old 06-15-2009, 09:17 PM
k2vailkid
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cranked over, no start. Now nothing...

Howdy all. I've been fighting a hard start issue since Jan. The dealership said the GP's tested fine. Anywho even in June, she just doesn't like to start. Sometimes I cheat and plug it in for an hour or two and it fires up. Gotta solve this problem too, but more importantly....

Regardless of that, this afternoon I jumped in the truck, cranked on it for 15-20 seconds, twice. No start, normal greyish smoke. The third time, cycled the plugs again, turned the key, nothing. No click, just nothing.

Starter shot? Did I burn it up? I'm guessing here. Any other ideas?

If so, which DB starter to get? Regular or HD?

Thanks in advance for the much needed help everyone!

Old 06-15-2009, 09:20 PM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What condition are the batteries in? Are all the connections on the batteries and starter good and clean? Just a couple of freebie things to check.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:25 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Jay, Check your batteries weak batteries will cause anything from a hard start to a no start.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:27 PM
k2vailkid
Senior User
Batteries are just about a year old, and all the connections seem to be solid. Is there an outside chance a sudden bad cell could cause this issue? Just something else that popped into my head....

Old 06-15-2009, 09:28 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I'd agree with checking the batteries & connections first. I've got the regular DB and it spins MUCH faster than the old stock starter did. The HT would just be even more than that.

How old is the oil and is it full? Shouldn't have to plug the truck in in June.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:49 AM
k2vailkid
Senior User
OK gents, so I put the batteries on a charger last night. Checked voltage before and after, no change. Left battery reads 12.79v & right battery reads 12.82v. All seems well there. All connections are clean and tight.

Oil level is good. Getting close to change time, only 4700 miles in this batch.

Pulled codes, normal chipped codes if I'm not mistaken.

P1249 Wastegate Performance.
P0478 EPV High
P1282 ICP High
P0541 IAH (I don't have one any more)

Just to check batteries, and give some extra uuumpfh... I hooked a third battery in parallel and turned the key, still nothing.

Welcome any other input here. I'm leaning toward the starter still, because it did crank twice for 20 seconds before suddenly not cranking an the third try. I ordered a DB HT starter hoping I see it by weeks end.

Question about GPR 109 vs. GPR 110 from Napa.... $36 for 109 & $97 for 110. What gives? Are they not the same? Gotta fix this GPR or GP problem, because my suspicion is that the long cranking hard starts cost me a starter.

Thanks again for the input everyone.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:06 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Check all your fuses.? Fuel heater fuse might be bad.. Also I would check the fuel in the filter housing.. remove the lid.
Also check the fuel pump reset button on the passenger side kick panel..
Also might check the HPOP oil level.. should be about 3/4" from the top..

Old 06-16-2009, 11:13 AM
joegebff
Gone Fishin for Mark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Due to the fact that our batteries are connected in parallel, the voltage reading should be the exact same at both.

When you turn the key and you say it does 'nothing', is that in fact what happens? No buzzing, no clicking, no lights dimming, no chimes chiming no nada? If absolutely nothing is happening, I suspect that no signal is getting to the starter relay.

Have you checked the connections on the starter?

One other thing to remember......when chasing an electrical problem, the term 'check connection' really means take it apart and clean it.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:26 AM
k2vailkid
Senior User
Originally Posted by joegebff
Due to the fact that our batteries are connected in parallel, the voltage reading should be the exact same at both.

When you turn the key and you say it does 'nothing', is that in fact what happens? No buzzing, no clicking, no lights dimming, no chimes chiming no nada? If absolutely nothing is happening, I suspect that no signal is getting to the starter relay.

Have you checked the connections on the starter?

One other thing to remember......when chasing an electrical problem, the term 'check connection' really means take it apart and clean it.

I should be more specific. When I turn the key to on, the truck does all it's normal pre-start checks and dinging, Wait to start, all that is normal. When I turn the key to start, nothing. No click, no draw down or light dimming, nothing. Does anyone have the fuse or relay numbers I should check?

All connections are clean and tight. From battery to starter. Oil and fuel levels all look good.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I suspect that your batteries are weak. Have them load tested. My truck did the exact same thing, slow starter spin then nothing. Replace them and all was well.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:42 AM
k2vailkid
Senior User
Guess what I just found. Fuse #113 is blown, and it's a 30amp fuse going to where? The starter. Off to find a few of these weird pink 30amp maxi box fuses. Hoping this is the issue.......

Old 06-16-2009, 11:52 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like you don't have the owner's guide.. if not.. here is Ford's Website for downloading all the guides..
GENUINE FORD AND LINCOLN MERCURY PARTS AND SERVICE – GLOVE BOX MANUALS REPLY PAGE – MANUALS NOT FOUND

Old 06-16-2009, 12:09 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by k2vailkid
Guess what I just found. Fuse #113 is blown, and it's a 30amp fuse going to where? The starter. Off to find a few of these weird pink 30amp maxi box fuses. Hoping this is the issue.......
I'd check the wires going to the starter solenoid for any signs of chaffing or shorts. That's a strange fuse to blow. I'd be looking for a cause. Hopefully it's a simple (inexpensive) issue and not bad windings in the starter that is causing the blown fuse.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:01 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I believe the 109 & 110 are the same relay. The 109 mounts 90 degrees different than the 110. Might make the wiring tight, but many have had no problems.

Search this Thread