Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

fuel heater fix directions!!!!! w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 04:33 PM
rkeith213
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the pictures on the 1st page... how in the heck do you actually get to the small o-ring? I ended up breaking the plastic housing (I'm now ordering one off e-bay) but I still didn't find the inner o-ring. I tried tapping the metal tab down and I tried to remove it from the bottom as well. I'd just like to know if I have to go through this again. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:11 PM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rkeith213
In the pictures on the 1st page... how in the heck do you actually get to the small o-ring? I ended up breaking the plastic housing (I'm now ordering one off e-bay) but I still didn't find the inner o-ring. I tried tapping the metal tab down and I tried to remove it from the bottom as well. I'd just like to know if I have to go through this again. Thanks.
What year truck?

Old 11-08-2012, 07:43 AM
rkeith213
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mucmuc
I am in the middle of fixing the fuel heater leak on my 91 7.3 IDI. IH now wants $133 for the entire heater, and neither IH nor Ford ($168 for the heater) has the right o-rings or even knows what the correct size would be.
I did some digging, and the closest o-rings (round cross section) I have found are designated 2-014 for the inner (smaller) o-ring under the spade connector. The larger o-ring that seals the plug as it goes through the top of the assembly is designated 2-016. I found a local machine shop that gave me some of the rings for free! Kudos to "Tri C" in West Sacramento.
<o></o>
Alternatively you can look them up at McMaster and order them in square section shape (like the original). The only material they have them in is called Buna-n. That stuff is supposedly good for oil environments. The drawback is they come in 100ea only, but they are only about $10 a pack.<o></o>
<cite></cite>O'reilly Auto Parts
National #014 and National #016 for the o-rings
National O-Rings 014 - O-Ring | O'Reilly Auto Parts

National O-Rings 016 - O-Ring | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Old 11-08-2012, 07:46 AM
rkeith213
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fuzzy1626
What year truck?
1993 with a 7.3

My plug housing is black and seemed to be a single piece but I did have fuel residue where the spade connector is.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:21 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys,

I had to do my 94, so I decided to shoot a video of the process for those of you with a 1 piece element. It is a pretty easy and inexpensive fix. I put an o-ring from an assortment in it that was much too small but I stretched it over the fitting, greased it up and pressed it in. So far it hasn't leaked, and like the video says, I'll take the original down to try to find a match, and post the results. I took some pics as well.

Take a look at this.

If you remove the filter and heater as a unit it is a lot easier to drain afterwards.
Name:  Fuel heater fix 002.JPG
Views: 6716
Size:  166.5 KB

Name:  Fuel heater fix 004.JPG
Views: 5590
Size:  151.3 KB

The top o-ring is the original, and the bottom one is similar to the one I made work.

Name:  Fuel heater fix 007.JPG
Views: 5470
Size:  163.0 KB

Hope this helps,

Mac.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:06 AM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got done doing this. what a pita it was. first, my filter head, 1994, only uses one o-ring, NOT two. second, it uses the smaller of the two o-rings(o'riley's links) but the small one is still WAY TO BIG. turns out i had one identical to the o-ring needed in my 0-ring stash. hopefully it doesn't leak.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
What is the best way to go about bypassing this? Mine has the TALL one piece pedestal and is a ROYAL PITA to get out, and I didn't know there was an o-ring inside the heater part,,, aaaarrrgghh,,, now it leaks worse, can you buy a whole 6.9 assy.?

Old 03-09-2013, 08:05 PM
zloetakoe
Senior User
Thanks for the great write ups. I just pulled my 1992 fuel filter housing apart and replaced the o-ring. I used a #016, it fit perfectly. We'll see if it leaks at all but didn't when I flipped on my fuel pump (electric). Macg, your tip on flipping the whole unit upside down was extremely helpful.

Question- My fuel filter heater had a bunch of brown gunk on it. Looked and had a consistency almost like really thin fruit leather. Kind of worried about what my front fuel tank looks like as I can only run about 10 minutes on the front fuel tank without the fuel filter light coming on and some chugging occurs. Any thoughts?

What is the purpose of the electrical connection on the bottom of the filter? Mine is not hooked up, nor does it have a hose coming out the bottom of it. It just has a plug in that space, but doesn't have a spot for an electric connection anywhere.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:47 PM
kc0stp
Senior User
Originally Posted by zloetakoe
Thanks for the great write ups. I just pulled my 1992 fuel filter housing apart and replaced the o-ring. I used a #016, it fit perfectly. We'll see if it leaks at all but didn't when I flipped on my fuel pump (electric). Macg, your tip on flipping the whole unit upside down was extremely helpful.

Question- My fuel filter heater had a bunch of brown gunk on it. Looked and had a consistency almost like really thin fruit leather. Kind of worried about what my front fuel tank looks like as I can only run about 10 minutes on the front fuel tank without the fuel filter light coming on and some chugging occurs. Any thoughts?

What is the purpose of the electrical connection on the bottom of the filter? Mine is not hooked up, nor does it have a hose coming out the bottom of it. It just has a plug in that space, but doesn't have a spot for an electric connection anywhere.
Plug on the underside is your water in fuel sensor, connection should just push onto the bottom of the sensor, far as the gunk/filter light my guess is your tank needs a big time cleaning and isnt getting full flow so is creating a vacum and tripping the light.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:34 PM
zloetakoe
Senior User
Originally Posted by kc0stp
Plug on the underside is your water in fuel sensor, connection should just push onto the bottom of the sensor, far as the gunk/filter light my guess is your tank needs a big time cleaning and isnt getting full flow so is creating a vacum and tripping the light.
My filter simply had no plug for a sensor connection. Just the valve. I did find the wire for the connection you are talking about, but nothing on the filter to plug it into..... Guess I'll just have to check it once in a while.

REAR tank runs great, never had a problem with it.... Front tank on the other hand...

Old 03-10-2013, 07:36 AM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
You must be using a one piece filter.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:22 PM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey guys,

I've been leaking fuel through the fuel heater since winter, finally got around to fixing it. It definitely helps to cause air-intrusion when leaking.

Anyway, as many guys as bought the o-rings from NAPA, nobody put down a part number...
Larger O-ring= NAPA AUTO PARTS
Smaller O-ring= NAPA AUTO PARTS
Keep in mind that the pictures are representative images, and look NOTHING like the o-rings you'll get.
(And in order to get these links, I had to go to the dumb NAPA, measure the o-rings with a caliper, and then buy them with the part numbers on the drawers they are in. SO STUPID! You can't search napaonline.com for o-rings! I hate their site, it's one of the worst business sites I've ever been to.)

As for Orielly's, they can't even order them into the stores. They have them online, sure, but it'll cost you $10 TO SHIP 2 O-RINGS.

Anywho, these fit great and I'm now 2 days leak-free. Truck starts better too.

Oh and pay attention to the part where you separate the male contact lead from the plastic housing(picture #5 from RupeJosh). I didn't realize there was a barb on it, and ended up breaking that lead. Which is brass so I couldn't solder it... if anyone has one of those in working order I need one! Thanks!

-Joshua

Old 04-21-2013, 01:25 PM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

Josh check our mastercarrs website they have all kinds of parts I use them in the hotel feild and also ordered my orings from them.... for heater and the vitons for injectors

Old 04-21-2013, 08:08 PM
dsltech83
Mountain Pass
I fixed one with a 1/2in npt tap and brass pipe plug.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:50 PM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Josh check our mastercarrs website they have all kinds of parts I use them in the hotel feild and also ordered my orings from them.... for heater and the vitons for injectors
Yup, they are a great resource for bulk o-rings. However they have a minimum shipping charge around $10 and then I'd have to wait for shipping. For two $0.45 o-rings. Not my cup of tea... Now anyone can just drive down to NAPA and grab 'em.

Quick Reply: fuel heater fix directions!!!!! w/pics