couple 460 questions?????

Old 06-12-2009, 02:41 PM
tygerrrr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question couple 460 questions?????

hey so i have a 460 that i finally put back to gether and started it so now i want to put some money into before i put it in my truck. the heads are d3ve a2a heads and the block is d9te im not making it a tow truck just kind of like a play truck so i want like a mild built 460. so please help with picking the best parts for my money and tell me what to get. theres a set of pistons on craigslist that i was looking at and i was wandering if there worth the money or just leave the oem ones in it, heres the link Ford 460 Pistons im also going to port the heads my self from the direction given by reincarnation-auto. what cam should i get? what carb should i get? i have a holley carb on it right now that a guy gave me but i dont now what cfm it is. and i heard people talking about puting a different timing chain on 460 to make the timing at 0' where can i get one or is it not worth it. sorry about all the random question and if you need more info please ask. any input is appreciated.

thanks tyger

Old 06-12-2009, 04:41 PM
bigdan1979f-250
Elder User
I am in the process of doing the same build. Are you going to have any machine work done to the motor? If so, start there. Next, if you aren't planning on turning any high rpms and are not going to use nitrous, cast pistons are fine. I am planning on using hypereutectic pistons. Not too much difference, the hypereutectics just have about 30% more strength is what I was told. Either way I would replace the pistons. Definitely do the port work on the heads. It the engine is going to be mild, I would be looking for a cam with less than .500" of lift. Comp cams have some nice cams. As for the carb, no less than 650 cfms and I doubt it would do you any good to have one over 750cfm. As for the timing chain, get one for a 1968-70 429/460. The newer model 460s had retarded timing as opposed to the earlier engines. Another good step would be an aftermarket intake manifold. I am using an Edelbrock performer series. Dont get the Performer RPM. It is a single plane and not what you are after. Hope this helps

Old 06-12-2009, 05:07 PM
tygerrrr
Junior User
So were can I get this cam?

Old 06-12-2009, 05:57 PM
tygerrrr
Junior User
Hey I just did a compression check and this is what I came up with it's all psi #4.140 #3.130 #2.150 #1.120 #5.125 #6.125 #7.140 #8.140 is that ok I looked in my book and all it said was the lowester couldn't be less then 75% of the highest cylinder butit didn't say what the psi should be

Old 06-13-2009, 02:56 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
75% is what your book says? I would get a new book. I think that spread is a lot personally.

Bigdan you might want to learn about edelbrock intakes the Performer RPM is just a slightly raised version of the performer and is dual plane, the torker is the single plane for edelbrock. A performer is basically an alum version of the factory intake IMO. Either one would work fine on a mild 460 but personally I prefer the RPM or better yet a wieand stealth.

As far as the timing chain just buy a good aftermarket double roller, like the FRPP setup you can buy from Jegs or summit, or basically any double roller chain the aftermarket pretty much learned about the retarded timing chains and don't make the double roller with that anymore.

If your rebuilding try to find pistons that will get you in the 9:1 compression range with the D3VE heads, like a flat top with a 12cc valve relief and leave the piston about .010 down in the hole would get you slightly over that, if you get much more dish or valve relief then be sure to zero deck it to bring the pistons all the way up

As for cam, the Comp xtreme 4x4 series of cams makes a nice mild setup for a 460 something like the 34-231-4 cam is pretty mild and makes good low and mid range power

Old 06-13-2009, 12:07 PM
tygerrrr
Junior User
So monsterbaby do u think I should re-hone the cylinders and put new pistons and rings in? And I'm not very good with this technical stuff so if u could put links to like pistons and rings, cam, and double roller timing chain. And with the intake what is going to be my best choice for my money.

Thx Tyger

Old 06-13-2009, 12:25 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

I would take the block up to a machine shop and have them check the cylinders to see if they need bored or not and go from there.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:02 PM
cparks
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I would not hone the cylinders if you are buying pistons anyway. Have it bored, most likely 30 over, get nice straight cylinders, and a few extra cubic inches for not much extra $$$. A nice cam and intake, maybe a little port work, and this motor will wake right up, have great torque and good hp.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:21 PM
tygerrrr
Junior User
Ya that's what I'm looking for what pistons would u recomend me getting?

Old 06-15-2009, 02:33 PM
tygerrrr
Junior User
Does any buddy know were I can find some cheep pistons and rings???? Please help

Old 06-15-2009, 04:57 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

cheap? you get what you pay for.

BUT you can get pistons at napa etc IF you know what bore diameter you need. Something like the speedpro, or TRW forged are heavy but will work good with your stated intent, or even the KB Hypereutectic will work just fine.

Also summit, jegs or about any other mail order place for that matter.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:47 PM
tygerrrr
Junior User
So u said my compresion was messed up so could I just get away with puting new rings in?

Old 06-15-2009, 06:24 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

I don't know, that would really depend on if it was just the rings that had your compression messed up or not.

There is way to many variables to give a really accurate diagnosis over the internet like this.

Your going to have to tear into the engine or other types of diagnostics and find out what is actually wrong and what damage has happened and what would be needed to fix it.

Example, say it's a bent or slightly damaged valve, then no rings or even overbore and pistons will cure it. Even if it is leaking past the rings if there happens to be grooves or too much cylinder wear to get the rings to properly seal then just rings won't fix it.

More then likely it's just age and wear but without getting further into it no one can give you a honest and complete answer.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:25 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

I don't know, that would really depend on if it was just the rings that had your compression messed up or not.

There is way to many variables to give a really accurate diagnosis over the internet like this.

Your going to have to tear into the engine or other types of diagnostics and find out what is actually wrong and what damage has happened and what would be needed to fix it.

Example, say it's a bent or slightly damaged valve, then no rings or even overbore and pistons will cure it. Even if it is leaking past the rings if there happens to be grooves or too much cylinder wear to get the rings to properly seal then just rings won't fix it.

More then likely it's just age and wear but without getting further into it no one can give you a honest and complete answer. anything else is just a guess

Old 06-15-2009, 11:57 PM
tygerrrr
Junior User
Ok thx for the honest answer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: couple 460 questions?????