1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Stupid and Helpless

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:46 AM
spoogie
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid and Helpless

Well, I did it. Sunk my nice 2003 Ford F150 4.2L 5sp. 4X4 in a lake. Yes, a lake. Really, only up to the windshield. Bottom of the seats. Bad yet? noooo, I blew the engine up in the process of pulling her out. Big fun.
Got a new engine, replaced all the sensors ($) and it runs! Sort of.
Scanning with a OB2 scanner shows the timing all over the place, sensors with no signal, then all is OK and runs like a red a## ape. The only thing left is the PCM for 300$. It looked dry. Do you experts think I need to spend another 300$ just for fun? Please help a fool out.
Jay

Old 06-08-2009, 10:08 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Every electrical connection, module & sensor got screwed. Your truck is now a FLOOD VEHICLE.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:15 PM
spoogie
Junior User
Well flood is a little extreme. Really,really damp is closer.
All connections are clean only the cpu is left. think I have a chance in hell.?

Old 06-08-2009, 11:35 PM
papajoemrt
Elder User
sorry but i laughed at this at first.

but i agree with what shorebird had to say.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:45 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Ya know, somethings funny here.
Where are the codes you should see with all that you are saying?
How are you seeing timing change? Thats is not seen on a scanner.
Get your feet on the ground and approch this correctly or we can't help.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:31 AM
spoogie
Junior User
This was no regular scanner, my friend!
This was a 4,000$ snap on OB2 sensor reader and code reader and microwave. It gave your pulse. Computer would not go into self diagnostic mode, either. Scanner showed that the computer was dumber then me.
Jay

Old 06-09-2009, 09:44 AM
fireball 440
Elder User
Originally Posted by spoogie
This was no regular scanner, my friend!
This was a 4,000$ snap on OB2 sensor reader and code reader and microwave. It gave your pulse. Computer would not go into self diagnostic mode, either. Scanner showed that the computer was dumber then me.
Jay
....well the computer's not the one who drove their truck into a lake. You do have a flood vehicle. Whether you choose to tell the next owner is up to you, assuming you get it running right again. In any case, good luck sounds like an electrical nightmare.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Prestigejason
Freshman User
Chances are the computor is bad. If you didnt change the engine harness eventually it will cause you problems because the water that got on the harness can run the length of the wire and corrod it. Which will cause a bad connection. The connectors will look good but the wire will be junk. who knows maybe this is the problem you are having now if you still have the stock harness on the motor.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:45 AM
FarmForward
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Face it, whether the flood came to you or you went to the flood, when water rises to the level of the windshield, you end up with a flood vehicle. I've seen my share of them, and never once have I saw one tha was ever the same after it came out of the water. Dealers who had brand-new cars and trucks flooded had them crushed because they're not worth the hassle of fixing... you'll never get everything fixed. All the electricals, the upholstery... all ruined. Basically all you have left worth salvaging is the sheet metal and glass.

Very expensive lesson there.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:01 PM
spoogie
Junior User
ILL NEVER GIVE UP!
High water will not stop a Ford owner! Some of you are quitters. I will never sell my truck and she will run proud once again! I have money and no fear of a little dew on the engine. American Pride! Never say never!
Damn the torpedo's, full speed ahead...Only thing I have to fear is ...fear itself! Rally around a proud Ford owner!!!!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
A 4000$ scanner and he comes here for answers. Go figure!
The scanner is worth more than the truck and he comes here for answers then does not want to hear it! Go figure! again!
The guy who uses the scanner should be able to tell you what to do!

Old 06-09-2009, 01:52 PM
spoogie
Junior User
Its like going to the doctor cause you have rectal worms. well, he kills those but he is no brain surgeon and does't realize they made a short hop to your brain and you die. The guy with the scanner is the chief mechanic for our county's cars trucks and buses. Not a mechanic for ford, he's ruled out worms so he thinks the brain is dead. Like yours.
Jay

Old 06-09-2009, 02:01 PM
spoogie
Junior User
Is there no humor here. What the hell? I k n o w I have a partly flooded truck, came here looking for some support and humor on my misfortune. Now bluegrass done made me mad. Took 2 shots from him. LAUGH some and get your panties out of a wad.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:03 PM
cmorningstar01
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi Spoogie, I am sure glad it was you and your truck and not me/mine, I can laugh about that and I can understand your wanting to get your truck fixed and looking for some help, I can even understand the humor(having done some really stupid things myself). Being Honest I did chuckle when I read your post, But having had the bad fortune of buying a vehicle that had been in a flood and not finding out until I had already purchased it and had it a while and had no recourse from the seller(cash deal back in the early 70's) I can understand the sentiment about it being a flood vehicle, I know you state you are keeping it so I hope you do get all the bugs out(or are they minnows,shiners or tadpoles)[sic humor]My guess is you are going to wind up replacing almost all of the wiring harness's on the truck including non engine related harness's, Water has a sneeky way of finding its way into things and some times it does not cause a problem until after it has been there a while and drys out. I can not offer any technical assistance but I sure can imagine how you felt during and afterwards and wish you well in your endeavors to fix your truck

Val

Old 06-09-2009, 03:13 PM
spoogie
Junior User
Dear Val,
My truck kinda stood nose down in lake tittikaka, almost a year ago. just now got to put her back together again.. I hope it works out as it is now my sons play truck. Not looking to ever sell, maybe to a junk yard, but we have soooo much fun in this POS you would not believe, nothing in the cab,as in wiring, got damp. just love to have her going again. Thanks for understanding my humor. I've got a lost cause, but, I love her.

Quick Reply: Stupid and Helpless