1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

4x4 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 02:02 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
4x4 conversion

I've officially decided that I want to change my F-600 to a 4x4. To be honest if I leave it as is I'll probably hardly ever drive it. My original goals before finding my truck where to always make it a 4x4, I needed F-600 fenders for the tires anyways, and the '56 F-600 I own is actually the cheapest way to go for it all (it's almost free and in great shape).

To those who have done it; would you suggest a total frame swap or swapping parts out? How long did it take you? What parts did you use?

I don't need the truck to be able to move the 20,000#s it can now, what I need is for it to be a daily driver, to drive on the freeway and in the snow if I need to. It's my business truck. I don't want it to stay a flat bed, I honestly really don't like loosing the style of the '56's standard bed, if I need the extra width I can always turn my current flatbed into a trailer. Either way a flatbed would only see use once or twice a year, it's not worth it to me to keep.

If I keep it on it's original frame, the frame will be shortened up. It currently has a 272 in it, which probably won't be enough power once I have gears in the rear that can go on the freeway.

I was thinking just swapping it onto an F-250 or F-350 with powertrain and all still in. Of course I know that means I won't be driving a '56 anymore, but for a daily driver that might not be a bad thing.
I probably won't be able to do this before moving, but right now I have no idea on a time frame. I don't want to half *** anything or get half way done and move (because it makes a difference if it can't move on it's own), but I do live in 4x4 country, and this is a good place to find a good deal on a truck.

Any suggestions? Anyone know of a full sized truck thats renoun for being a solid 4x4? I have an '89 Bronco but it's far too small of a wheel base plus not a pickup... and it has other problems, lol.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:39 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Stephen,
I would suggest you take your time, (since you need to wait until you move anyway), and look for a good F-250 or F-350 donor. A rusted out or wrecked truck in good mechanical shape would be fine. If you are careful you can probably remove all the stuff you don't want from your truck and sell it. It takes time to do that so just be patient. That big old Schramm air compressor should be worth something. If nothing else, while you are waiting I would get that thing working, spruce it up a bit and get it listed on Craig's list and any other free advertising source. You might want to get on some old antique equipment forums for that.

I would get that truck titled and registered in your name before moving, That way it will be easier to get it changed to the new state you move to when that time comes.

As for a donor, start looking. There are a lot of older diesels that are four wheel drive and the duallies are really heavy duty. I would also suggest finding the older IDI diesels because they don't need a computer and a lot of electronics to make them work. they are also a lot cheaper to work on. Yeah, it's true, they are not as fast, but they are a lot more reliable and can run with no electrical system at all. the only thing electrical on them is a solenoid fuel valve, glow plugs and a starter. I have a 7.3 IDI diesel '93 E-350 one ton with 256K on it and it still runs good. My '03 F-350 Powerstroke has been in the shop at least ten times and it only has 47K on it. You can work on the old IDI's yourself. You can only change the oil on the Powerstrokes because everything else takes a rocket scientist.

Keep your truck titled as the model and year it is. It will be exempt from all the later DOT and environmental requirements.

I have seen a lot of the older F-250 and F-350 trucks that would be just right for your purpose for 1 to 2 K$. They are usually needunfg something fixed that is too expensive. If you take your time you can find them. My son bought an F-250 with a 6.9 IDI that runs good but lookes terrible and has no bed for $500.00 with a good title. He is putting his '53 F-100 on the rolling chassis.

Later Man...

Old 06-06-2009, 09:46 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm currently waiting on specs for the 1997-2003ish Ford F350's from another forum for doing such a conversion. Will reply when I get the results.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:32 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
Look in my gallery at my F600 marmon herrington 4x4 rollback. I no longer own that truck but it sure was fun! It even had the original Y block!

Old 06-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Thanks for the suggestions, beautiful '56 Kevin, both of them

Let me know when you do Havi, I'd be interested in hearing about such a conversion.

Thought I would share this guys full frame swap on a '54:
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=125804

I am currently thinking my best option would be to buy a decent doner, strip it down and get everything mechanically where I want it. The powertrain, the 4x4, steering, breaks, yadda yadda. Then once that is cherry, make the conversion. It should help limit the time I am without a truck considerably. I may do a bunch of measurements and make the custom bed too before hand.

Course we all know this is going to snow ball like the dickens, which is kinda how I roll, lol. Because once I start removing things like the cab, I'm going to have to fix any problems and paint the interior and undersides at least. But maybe not, all has to be fitted on anyways first, then taken off again and painted... course if I just went with black for all of that... ah crap.

Well regardless I should probably wait till after moving, cause we all know I'd have to move it in pieces if I really dug into it. Just tired of the project being on hold.

What angle where you going for your swap Havi? Normal stance, high with huge tires? Personally I plan on making my as low as possible with as large of tires as possible too. Since the rear fenders have to be custom anyways, thats not such a big deal. And if I have the wheels on before I do the swap, it will make it easier to keep it low, course I'll probably have to be cutting... (and not like low rider low, I just prefer low stances over the 9' tall trucks that flip over in corners, lol)

Old 06-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
lot of double posts lately...

Old 06-06-2009, 09:56 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
It's a toss-up between a stock height '57-60 Ford/Merc w/59-60 F250 4x4 driveline modded for safety (which is definitely hard to find around here) or a stock height '95-97 F350 4x4 and mounting a mid 50's IH body and modded bed on it like this. The idea is something that appears stock, is quite useable, and cool all at the same time. Had thought about my uncle's F6, but I want to keep that stock.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:18 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Stephen,
I have owned 3 or 4 53-56 F600S AND NOW HAVE A 56 F350 DIESEL. it is not 4x4....but that would be cool.
I have also another 1956 ford F700-800? MARMON 4X4 hid away,and you need to scout around till you find one,too.
I have been in your area and there around and at good prices....mostly around Seattle area and around WYOMING.....I have seen them.......and then you have your 4x4.....and all it will take is some ads in craigslist and a whole lot of looking....Good luck.....p.s. the marmon 4 x4 s drive and handle like crap......really!!! But are rare now-adays...Bill
p.s.--NO --I will not tell where my stash is at.....LOL

Old 06-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
lol I searched for a year and found only 3 '56s, lots of ad posting, lots and lots of alley searching. One was a rust bucket at $1000, another was an even worse rust bucket with nothing at $2000, and then there was my truck, which was as close to free as they come

lol if the marmon 4x4 handle and drive like crap thats really not an incentive to sell mine and buy one of those :P

Old 06-07-2009, 09:00 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Stephen...I just mean't that in the N.W.....I have seen lot's of trucks and a lot of big ole trucks...like logging trucks,etc.
Since I am in the East...it would be expensivee to buy....unless I run across a marmon or rust-free truck.
I think you know what I mean......the 4x4 marms sit up real high and no power steering,they are hard and bummpy......and cool......but Buy one if you find one.....Bill

Old 06-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
True, lot of big trucks around here. The guy I'm buying mine from has 22. Only problem is if you go too far to the coast everything gets real rusty. Salt water just eats everything alive.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:23 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
Here's a M-H that's for sale cheap if anybody's interested. It's a '58 and has severe body rust, but the drivetrain is probably ok. And I really like the Budd to Dayton wheel adapters.

ATCA DISCUSSION BOARD: For Sale: 1958 Ford Marmon - Herrington

Old 06-08-2009, 10:06 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Stephen.....there you go. All there and price is right.
OH AND not just the coast does vehicles rust....come to Ohio and Pa.,and you will see rust everywhere.
In Florida along the coast the tops rust......but here in Ohio,everything rusts.....the rustbelt is true....Bill

Old 06-08-2009, 10:11 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
Stephen.....there you go. All there and price is right.
OH AND not just the coast does vehicles rust....come to Ohio and Pa.,and you will see rust everywhere.
In Florida along the coast the tops rust......but here in Ohio,everything rusts.....the rustbelt is true....Bill
And of course we all know all that salt Ohio uses has nothing to do with it...

Yeah, right...

Old 06-08-2009, 10:13 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Rust never sleeps!! Man, Stu, if I was close I'd scoop that M&H '58 up myself!

Quick Reply: 4x4 conversion