tranny replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 12:01 AM
MeAndMyF150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post tranny replacement

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 15-Apr-02 AT 01:02 AM (EST)]I have a 92' 5.0 f-150. The E4OD Transmission is going out and has been going out. I am doing minor mods to the motor, giving it a little more kick. I am also lifting it 6" and putting 35" tires on it. Is there a transmission that is better than this one that is a direct or a close replacement, or should I have it rebuilt. Is there anything I should do to it when rebuilding that increases the strength of it. I have a heavy foot, but am driving like a granny now!

I also have another question, How hard is it to rebuild a transmission? Is it something me and my uncle could do. He is pretty knowlegeable about cars but wasn't sure if we could do it. He told me to look in to it. What all does it intail doing? I can buy the rebuild kit from Jegs for $200, or I can pay my mechanic $800 for everything and it comes with a one year warrenty. A little advise would be great!

Thanks
Bryan

Edit: I also plan on getting one of those performance programmers that I can tell my transmission to shift differently and control the overall performance.

Old 04-15-2002, 01:12 AM
the law
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tranny replacement