Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.6L swap into 89 f150 (F-STANG project)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 12:43 PM
trk98
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 17fordguy
well the distance between residence could pose a problem seeing as how i need it in georgia
Maybe i could meet you halfway if the price is right. Let me know

Old 06-17-2009, 01:25 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 356 Likes on 286 Posts
I think the speed sensor is incorperated into the speedo cable on that truck is for the cruise control. Is there a connector on the speedo at the x-fer case?
There is a speedo cable and sensor combined in the xfer case on the '91. The trans does not have a speed sensor itself. The speed sensor in the xfer case is for the ECU, I know this because one time I left it unplugged and the trans bang-shifted like crazy.

Even if it is to control the tranny you wont be using the old ECU so it would be redundant. The main concern is that the new ecm has speed signal from the new tranny. That is a separate system from the speedo. Am I misunderstanding something?
The donor truck is also a 4x4, so it had the speed sensor in the xfer case, the one that is exactly like the one in my '91 but the hole for the cable is plugged. Now, whether the '97 ECU gets it's speed signal from this sensor, or from the one in the rear-end, I don't know. I'm gonna hook up the one in my existing xfer case to the '97 ECU and see what happens.

Are you using the tranny from the 97? I know you're keeping your x-fer case. Can you post a link to your thread? You know the old tranny wont bolt up to the 4.6?
Yes, I am using the 4R70W trans from the '97 and bolting my '91 xfer case to it. I do know the E4OD from my 302 will not bolt-up to the 4.6L.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:27 PM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
southern massachussetts eh? im in weymouth right now, lol. i live up north of boston though.

i like the idea of this project though, im sure with a few boltons yould be able to run side by side to a 99-04 mustang.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:35 PM
17fordguy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by trk98
Maybe i could meet you halfway if the price is right. Let me know

tbird has a deal i cant pass up whole donor truck with every thing i need motor and all 4wd parts. sorry

Old 06-17-2009, 08:26 PM
trk98
Senior User
"The donor truck is also a 4x4, so it had the speed sensor in the xfer case, the one that is exactly like the one in my '91 but the hole for the cable is plugged. Now, whether the '97 ECU gets it's speed signal from this sensor, or from the one in the rear-end, I don't know. I'm gonna hook up the one in my existing xfer case to the '97 ECU and see what happens."

I'll look that up in ALLDATA for you tomorrow, i'm almost certain that the 97 tranny uses a combination of input and output shaft speed sensors that are gonna send info to your new PCM. I call it this because it controlls the engine and transmission. It uses all sorts of info from the engine such as ECT, TPS, Load % calculation to determine shift points. For example with your 97 computer you could run that motor and trans in a Volkswagen bug. What i'm trying to say is that your new powertrain has no reason or need to communicate with your old computer. The speedo cable will only run the speedo, the connector goes to the old computer which you dont need anymore. The new trans has its own sensors. Being a transition year (97) i could be completely wrong. I'll check for you.

Hows it coming with your install otherwise?

Old 06-17-2009, 08:33 PM
trk98
Senior User
Originally Posted by 17fordguy
tbird has a deal i cant pass up whole donor truck with every thing i need motor and all 4wd parts. sorry
Thanks anyway, good luck

Originally Posted by 70torino429
southern massachussetts eh? im in weymouth right now, lol. i live up north of boston though.

i like the idea of this project though, im sure with a few boltons yould be able to run side by side to a 99-04 mustang.
I put the 3.73s in tonight and it really woke this old girl up. Its much quicker now. I had the speedo up to 110 in a matter of a few short seconds, but who knows how fast im actually going. Even if it was 60-70 mph 0-whatever was very quick. I'm gonna say that it will blow and stock 351 away by a very long shot. (Sorry guys, i said it) I got a friend with an 02 mustang gt and we're gonna run them so I'll let you know how it fares against him. I live in holbrook, only a town over.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:37 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
I haven't been keeping up with this thread like I should and my internet won't let me just "cruise", so I don't want to try and ready through every page. I'm just wanting to know if this 4.6L is stock? I thought it was, but you make it sound like it's a real beast! This is a very exciting thread. You should enter your truck in a few magazines.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:40 PM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
I haven't been keeping up with this thread like I should and my internet won't let me just "cruise", so I don't want to try and ready through every page. I'm just wanting to know if this 4.6L is stock? I thought it was, but you make it sound like it's a real beast! This is a very exciting thread. You should enter your truck in a few magazines.
the stock 4.6L out of the 99-04 stang puts out 260hp, so im sure its a hell of an improvement over the 300 six that was in there.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:44 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 70torino429
the stock 4.6L out of the 99-04 stang puts out 260hp, so im sure its a hell of an improvement over the 300 six that was in there.
That's a little less than twice what the 300 produces.

For some reason I thought that 4.6 was out of a truck. Oops!

Thanks Chris

Old 06-17-2009, 09:27 PM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that's still not tooo much though i mean i'm sure it sounds nasty but 260 isnt a lot of h/p (not ripping on you at all i think what you did is awesome)

Old 06-17-2009, 09:34 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 1966Tbird
that's still not tooo much though i mean i'm sure it sounds nasty but 260 isnt a lot of h/p (not ripping on you at all i think what you did is awesome)

That's what I call "fun" horsepower. Keep in mind it's a small V8 that normall makes 210 horse and 280+ tq. He can always turbo it!

He will probably get decent fuel mileage too. I bet it won't be any worse than what the 300 gave. So no matter how you look at it, it's impressive, just because it's different. Yes, it's not a HUGE AMOUNT of POWER, but it's all very very cool!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:23 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

What i'm trying to say is that your new powertrain has no reason or need to communicate with your old computer.
I know that, I said I was gonna hook up my old *speed sensor* to the '97 ECU. It's got to get a speed signal from somewhere, it's either coming from the xfer case mounted sensor or the one in the rear-end. I am betting the one in the '97 xfer case and the one in my '91 xfer case are the same signal output.

Hows it coming with your install otherwise?
It's gotten bumped down the priority list. I still need to work out my motor mount strategy, right now I want to try something with the truck mounts and see if it will work before I start cutting up the perches to match what you did.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:28 PM
trk98
Senior User
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
The 4.6 is mainly stock, it has the CAI, 75mm throttle body, Throttle body spacer, and a throttle elbow? spacer, and of course my very own custom exhaust(which i still need to take pictures of). Its a beast to me because i'm used to about 110 hp at the wheels for 6 years and now its probably double that with the 3.73s and small tires. It really rips and its rather light too! The corvette in the pics is mine and the silverado SS is my brothers, so I know what rather fast is and this makes me smile and thats no slouch!

Originally Posted by 1966Tbird
\

Yeah its not THAT much, but it should be slightly faster than a stock gt mustang on paper. Given it has the same engine, and tire size. A stock mustang is slightly lighter but they also have 3.27 gears whereas i have 3.73s now. We shall see

Originally Posted by jas88
I know that, I said I was gonna hook up my old *speed sensor* to the '97 ECU. It's got to get a speed signal from somewhere, it's either coming from the xfer case mounted sensor or the one in the rear-end. I am betting the one in the '97 xfer case and the one in my '91 xfer case are the same signal output.

It's gotten bumped down the priority list. I still need to work out my motor mount strategy, right now I want to try something with the truck mounts and see if it will work before I start cutting up the perches to match what you did.
I looked up your donor truck in alldata today. There is a transmission speed sensor which is in the tranny. The vehicle speed sensor is in the x-fer case. The sensor in the rear end is for RABS. It sounds like a good idea to hook up your sensor to the other computer. Let us know how it works out. Its probably just a pulse generator like any other speed sensor. Sounds like you know whats goin on man.

With my truck, the RABS still functions properly its not incorperated in the trucks computer its got its own system. Hope this helps

Are the truck mounts close? Dont they bolt in on one side with 3 bolts or something weird like that? whereas the car had a stud on each side? I may be able to dig up some stock but not very good truck mounts if you wanna use them as mock ups or whatever, Let me know. Good luck man.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:33 PM
70torino429
Posting Guru
yeah, it may not be a 10 second in the 1/4 mile truck, but im sure its enjoyable. i work on two cars with the 4.6 quite frequently (99 grand marquis, 04 mustang gt) and they both have no problems getting up to speed. The nice part about the 4.6, is that it keeps making good power till around 5000 rpm or so

Old 06-18-2009, 01:19 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Are the truck mounts close? Dont they bolt in on one side with 3 bolts or something weird like that? whereas the car had a stud on each side? I may be able to dig up some stock but not very good truck mounts if you wanna use them as mock ups or whatever, Let me know. Good luck man.
You know your Fords, dude. The truck mounts have "cups" that bolt to the frame, on the driver's side there are 3 bolts and on the passenger side there are 2 studs going downward (i.e., the nuts go on the bottom, kind of like the Mustang setup you have). Then the motor mounts on the engine sit down in these cups and have a bolt that goes thru them kinda GM style if you will. I want to try to bolt or weld these cups to my existing perches and then use the truck motor mounts. This hopefully will lift the motor up just about an inch or so which will help my a/c compressor and ps pump clear the crossmember.

The thing that makes it a bit tougher is the driver's side cup sits 1" farther back towards the firewall than the pass. side. So I need to set the motor down on the mount/cup assy., then get underneath on the lift and attach the transmission and line it up side to side with the rear mount to make sure it's not canted to one side or the other. Then I can mark where the cups should sit, take the trans out from underneath, and then pull the motor out so I can bolt or weld the cups in place.

I will be taking pics of the mounts if this works because, if it does, I think this may be the easiest setup to replicate for someone else.

Quick Reply: 4.6L swap into 89 f150 (F-STANG project)