Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.6L swap into 89 f150 (F-STANG project)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 08:23 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Thats a good looking truck, and I love the idea of swapping a 4.6 liter in there. I have toyed with that idea for awhile, but really havent found a good donor truck/car.

You did a hell of a job man, pat yourself on the back and drink a few beers!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:23 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Thats a good looking truck, and I love the idea of swapping a 4.6 liter in there. I have toyed with that idea for awhile, but really havent found a good donor truck/car.

You did a hell of a job man, pat yourself on the back and drink a few beers!

Old 06-12-2009, 06:07 AM
trk98
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much!!! If you every decide to do it you know who to come to with questions!

Old 06-12-2009, 09:11 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
I used a mustang harness/computer/powertrain/guage cluster. The pcm is under the hood right now, i'm embarrassed thats why i didn't take a closer pic but i will. I didn't cut any of the factory sensor wires to the ecu, just power and ground, a/c request, and o/d command wires. The speed sensor for the mustang is in the transmission and doesnt resemble the older style speed sensors that look like a speed-o cable without the cable. The speed sensor on the rear end i thought is for the RABS on my truck ('89). My truck has a speedo cable but i can't use it. The 4r70w tranny i'm using has a hole for the speedo cable but there's no gear inside to drive it, and has a plug in it from the factory. The mustang guage cluster gets its speed reading from the ecu, so that works. I can't remeber or don't know how the newer style trucks get their speed signal. I have acess to ALLDATA and will try too look for you if you want. What are you running for computer?What year? What trans? I'll do my best to help you if someone doesnt before me.
My donor truck is a '97 F150 4x4. It has that speed sensor thing without the cable like you said but it's in the xfer case in my application. I am going to use my existing BW1356 xfer case so I will be using the speed sensor with the cable, at least that is my plan. Using the Mustang cluster as you did also gets you around PATS, I was wondering what you did about that. My Bronco also has the rear-end sensor in place that is for the RABS but don't know if it's signal is different or the same as the one in the trans. The donor truck has a 4R70W trans that I will be using but like I said, I don't need to hook up the speed sensor there since mine is in the xfer case. The '97 truck doesn't have PATS so that is not an issue for me.

Last night I pulled the intake off and set the motor on the mount perches and it's going to fit, but I gotta mod the perches like you did and also need a car intake and a car exhaust manifold for the left side. It appears you guys using Mustang motors are ahead of the game here as you already have the pieces you need to fit. I will need to acquire them for my setup before I can get to where you are. Too bad about the truck intake, those long runners would have been better for low-end power.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:55 PM
trk98
Senior User
Are you using the 97 guage cluster? Does the guage cluster from your truck get its speed signal from the computer or the speed sensor? The trans from the 97 needs its own speed sensors for proper shifting strategies. The RABS is standalone i think so the rearend sensor will still work. And if your guage cluster gets its signal right from the x-fer case you'll need all 3 speed sensors. If the computer sends the signal to the guages , you'll need to run 2 computers to get you speedo to work.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:03 PM
trk98
Senior User
I put my oil pan in on thursday, dropped the tranny pan to change the fluid and inspect the condition of what i could see and things looked really good borh in the tranny and the lower end of the engine. It was very clean, not amber or brown colored like neglected engines often are or high mileage. The sump wasnt bent so thats good. I could even see crosshatching in the cylinders even with the pistons at the top of their bores. I was very impressed. I took my truck around town for a total of about 50 miles. No leaks and everything felt good. I went down to cape cod and drove lots down there for a total of about 300 miles this weekend. I'm so impressed with how well this thing runs. It pulls pretty good too much better than the I6. 3.73s are here and now when i get a few hours i'll plop them in. I'll keep ya guys posted and i'll be mounting the instrument cluster in its respective location. Pass the word on if you want about the I6 and m5od for sale.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:47 PM
17fordguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how much for the i6 i need one

Old 06-16-2009, 08:14 PM
trk98
Senior User
pm me an offer we'll go from there. The engine is in great shape it has around 110k miles on it, the valve cover leaks oil, and the oil pan gasket started recently. I replaced the lifter cover gasket and it didn't leak anything for a while and i NEVER had to add oil. It has what I've found to be typical lifter noise upon startup. It has a new rear main seal which I installed when I did the clutch 15k miles ago. Let me know of any other questions you have. It has a flywheel and clutch on it for the m50d. Its complete right now minus the air pump. New alternator. Let me know, thanks for your interest. I'm in southeast Massachusetts.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:36 PM
70torino429
Posting Guru
how are you liking the power and acceleration with it? ive thought of this swap myself. is the low end power still good?

Old 06-17-2009, 04:17 AM
17fordguy
Posting Guru
well the distance between residence could pose a problem seeing as how i need it in georgia

Old 06-17-2009, 06:27 AM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you need to put some big mud tires on those rims and get a lift that would be the sickest truck EVER put in some 4.56 gears and 35s that would be **** in my opinion

Old 06-17-2009, 06:46 AM
17fordguy
Posting Guru
sorry guys off topic tbird empty your inbox it will not allow me to send you any more messages because its full.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:35 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
Are you using the 97 guage cluster? Does the guage cluster from your truck get its speed signal from the computer or the speed sensor? The trans from the 97 needs its own speed sensors for proper shifting strategies. The RABS is standalone i think so the rearend sensor will still work. And if your guage cluster gets its signal right from the x-fer case you'll need all 3 speed sensors. If the computer sends the signal to the guages , you'll need to run 2 computers to get you speedo to work.
I am using the '91 cluster, it uses a speedo cable as does your truck. The speed sensor is only sending it's signal to the ECU to control the transmission. As long as the speed sensor Hz is the same for both trucks I will be fine. I don't know why it would be different, but it could be I suppose.

Any idea what kind of MPG you are getting now?

Old 06-17-2009, 08:47 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 1966Tbird
you need to put some big mud tires on those rims and get a lift that would be the sickest truck EVER put in some 4.56 gears and 35s that would be **** in my opinion

I thought it was 2wd?
Reguardless, you know me. I always say lift it and lock it!

Old 06-17-2009, 12:41 PM
trk98
Senior User
"how are you liking the power and acceleration with it? ive thought of this swap myself. is the low end power still good? "

It still has 3.08 which are way tall for this application but i am very pleased with how this thing pulls. Its a huge improvement over the six. More torque than i ever would have thought, one because its got the car intake, and two because everyone told me it would have none. With the relatively short amount of time i have into this it is a very worthwhile swap.

"you need to put some big mud tires on those rims and get a lift that would be the sickest truck EVER put in some 4.56 gears and 35s that would be **** in my opinion "

I already have the sickest truck ever!! Haha i went back and forth between lift and lower, i even had a set of 33's on it. It looked like a pre runner or something but i came to my senses and i'm slammin it! haha thanks for your input tho. I am planning on putting my 3.73s in tonight.

"I am using the '91 cluster, it uses a speedo cable as does your truck. The speed sensor is only sending it's signal to the ECU to control the transmission. As long as the speed sensor Hz is the same for both trucks I will be fine. I don't know why it would be different, but it could be I suppose.

Any idea what kind of MPG you are getting now? "

I think the speed sensor is incorperated into the speedo cable on that truck is for the cruise control. Is there a connector on the speedo at the x-fer case? Even if it is to control the tranny you wont be using the old ECU so it would be redundant. The main concern is that the new ecm has speed signal from the new tranny. That is a separate system from the speedo. Am I misunderstanding something? Are you using the tranny from the 97? I know you're keeping your x-fer case. Can you post a link to your thread? You know the old tranny wont bolt up to the 4.6?

As far as fuel mileage, the speedo is off and reads less miles per mile.(makes sense to me?) So it reads 300 miles on the trip meter and i have used about 20 gallons maybe a few more so i'm thinking 15-18 mpg with a mix between highway, city and full throttle. I was mainly driving it kinda hard because i'm a kid with a loud v8 for the first time so my mileage would reflect that i guess. Once i change the gears and calibrate the speedo I'll make sure and post my findings.

Quick Reply: 4.6L swap into 89 f150 (F-STANG project)