Starting issue found?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:28 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting issue found?

Fellas,
just bypassed the Neutral Safety Switch(NSS) so that i can determine if it was the starting issue. Connected/spliced the two red and blue wires and now it still clicks when trying to start so i believe i now have a starter issue. The NSS bypass allows the click now in any gear when trying to start so i can pretty much rule it out. Man just after i get the GPC and GPR issue solved i get this in my lap. Well welcome to old trucks my dad told me. Anyone in the Vancouver island area know the best place for starters? Lordco, Napa? Anyone have a part number? That would be sweet. Well thanks in advance for the help? If anyone needs advice on GPC bypass or NSS bypass let me know.
WB

Old 06-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
I've heard guys on here going to Autozone and buying a lifetime starter.

My Dad does electrical systems for automotive and equipment so I just go to him when I need something.

Check your batts. and CABLES, they can give you the same symptoms.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:50 PM
goodB0Y
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like lordco's prices... but there counter guy's are dumber than... well you know!...lol. When I used to turn wrenches I used to deal with western starter... might look to see if there still around too.

good luck

Old 06-02-2009, 10:04 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
yeah why is that, the lady at the checkout counter it friggin worthless too, you think you might know a few things but this "person" was a friggin dumb****e. I asked where i could find horns, she shrugged her shoulders and did the blonde, "I dont know." The guy standing in line laughed so hard he snorted and then that set off a laughter all over. She was laughing like hahahahaha.....whats so funny, he said he hadnt seen/heard that since highschool and she said, and i quote...."what highschool??" hahaha man she was very special!

Old 06-02-2009, 10:05 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Originally Posted by goodB0Y
I like lordco's prices... but there counter guy's are dumber than... well you know!...lol. When I used to turn wrenches I used to deal with western starter... might look to see if there still around too.

good luck

Love the sig line too......Money Pit!

Old 06-03-2009, 12:56 AM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
BTW goodboy: I've said it before but that's a good lookin' truck you have.
I usually HATE those wheel covers but THEY even look good on your truck.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:38 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Okay so back on topic.

Two things here

1 - do i just need to replace the solenoid and check the wiring, because the little starter relay/solenoid is mounted next to the other relay for the glow plugs? I dont believe the solenoid is mounted on the starter itself.

2 - Should i just replace the starter and/or the solenoid? I can "jump" the truck by arcing a wire across the battery and post of the starter relay/solenoid. When testing them out to determine the GPR/GPC problem i found this out the hard way haha. Could i have ruined the solenoid doing that on accident?

This turned into several questions but i am not reformatting the whole post. Fellas do your worst and help me out, i know i can get the solenoids for 20-40 dollars all over but the starter is another story, 190-227ish. If i do have to replace the starter, is a bosch reman any different from a napa accutech reman?

Old 06-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you can jump the solenoid on the fender and it starts, the starter is good.

Apply 12v+ to the S terminal on the Starter solenoid on the fender, If it turns over the solenoid and started are good.

Unhook the S terminal on the Starter solenoid, attach test light to the wire, turn ignition key to start, the test light should light up.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 06-03-2009, 11:11 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
so if it does turn over and both tests work, then would it be the wiring, as in dirty connectors or bad ground?

Old 06-03-2009, 11:52 AM
David85
Lead Driver
I guess I'm the only one that has a Lordco with good folks behind the counter? Maybe it helps that they all know me by first name.

I agree with Festas, don't replace the whole stater because if it will turn over the engine, its not needed.

Can you be more specific one what the starte "issue" is exactly? does it simply not come on? or does it not engage the flywheel or whats happening?

Old 06-03-2009, 12:24 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Dave,
She starts strong when it does kick over. But sometimes, not all the time, it will just click, when i turn the key. I bypassed the NSS to check and see if that was the problem but it didnt change anything, it just allowed the click sound in all gears. Meaning to me that it is still good. So looking at the solenoid, some of the connections are rusty and it may need to be re grounded. i will try that today. So far it hasnt stranded me anywhere(knock on wood) but i dont want that to happen. When it does start though it is strong. So i would eliminate the starter from the equation and look to the solenoid and wires no?

Old 06-03-2009, 02:35 PM
David85
Lead Driver
You might know some of this, but I'll mention it all just in case. I'm assuming the "click" you are hearing is comming from the starter itself.

The way the starters in these trucks work, there is a solenoid right on the starter that closes the circuit to the starter motor and also helps force out the bendix when you crank the engine. If that solenoid is bad, or there is a bad contact to the smaller wire (there are only 2 wires the at go to this starter) you will get the worst noise in history "click". I hate that sound.

I've had this problem once after mucking around with something unrelated under the truck and it turned out to be the 10 gauge wire to the starter solenoid (the one right on the starter) was unplugged. If however it is still your starter mounted solenoid that is faulty, then you can replace that without having to replace the whole starter......lordco can get it for you for ~$40.

It might be possible to replace it without removing the starter, but the 2 screws tend to strip easy, so you might have to pull the starter and have your way with it on a bench.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:50 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Hey dave, you know, i can see myself in your shoes one day with an example of everything from experience. Thanks for that!!

The starter is not where the click is, it is from the solenoid mounted on the fender. Now i just went to the truck to test this little ******* and here is where i am now:

If i jump the two posts, large, it will start no problem. So the starter works well.

If i touch the 12V to the S terminal, small, it wont do anything but click. The other terminal, small is not conntected to anything.

If i hook the solenoid up like normal, and turn the key sometimes it will start and sometimes it wont start. Should i look to the ignition switch itself? Should i just bypass this too and set up a push button start. With that installed i can turn the key to on and then push the button. I would rather fix it right but i am scratching my head now, not laughing. time to change the signature line huh?

Old 06-03-2009, 04:50 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
I would say that the solenoid on the fender needs replaced if it will start by jumping the two large posts.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:05 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by farmert
I would say that the solenoid on the fender needs replaced if it will start by jumping the two large posts.
Bingo......

Quick Reply: Starting issue found?