Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Bakflip vs Fold-A-Cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:43 AM
skywagon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let us know what dealer so we can avoid them like the plaque!!!!

Old 08-17-2009, 09:53 AM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by skywagon

Let us know what dealer so we can avoid them like the plaque!!!!
it is not the dealer's fault! the dealer does not handle the cover boxes, the cover is shipped directly from the BF factory. The dealer is working with him to get a new cover. the problem seems to lie at the Bakflip factory and lack of quality control at times.

I got my cover from the same place and the owner is a stand up guy and I know he will help him out.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:22 AM
jcchsms
New User
It is not a dealer issue. As I posted I got a great price and shipping was fast.

It is a BakFlip and shipping/packing issue. I am trying to get this resolved through Bakflip, my initial attempts were met with resistance. I'll keep you posted and hopefully will be able to report BakFlip has taken care of me. To be continued....

Old 08-17-2009, 11:50 AM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
I spoke to the dealer and he said there have been alot of UPS shipping issues lately, and BF is working on some modifications to the packaging/box to help prevent future damage. email me if anyone has questions or concerns.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Aztrainer
Posting Guru
Shesh, When I got mine the ends of the rails were bent....Well a rubber mallet made them true again. One of the nipples what broken and I re-screwed it and added some superglue. The star's were too big for the application, I just used more force and nothing was mared or harmed.

While I was a little taken back for these minor items, it was nothing that shipping it back with all that hassle was needed. IMHO

Old 08-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Gray Rider
Trailering
Can a Bakflip HD be mounted on a vehicle that has the optional Ford Cargo Management System? My observation indicates that it will not mount because the cargo management system rails appear to interfere with where the Bakflip mounting brackets need to be mounted. The cargo management system rails are mounted just under the bed rails and I don't think that the Bakflip attachment brackets can attach to the bed rails because the cargo management system rails are in the way. Has anybody be able to mount the Bakflip HD with the cargo management system? Thanks<O</O
<O</O

Old 08-30-2009, 11:29 AM
big_ole_truck
Senior User
Backflip owners, need your opinion. Is the paint on the cover baked on? The reason I ask is I'm thinking to buy the Backflip and have a local paint shop do their work to match the tan bedrails my KR.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:49 AM
FTrookie
New User
security

I am still looking and the price Steve had on the Bakflip HD is very comparable to the Fold-A-Cover. I was wondering about security with the BF. I don't see a key lock in the pics. Does it open from the inside or did I miss it?

Old 09-04-2009, 08:39 AM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
yes it opens from the inside. there are no exposed keyholes or latches on the cover, which I think is better for security and don't have to worry about freezing in the winter. but because of that, you have to open the tailgate first before opening the BF cover. The FAC can be opened independently front and rear and without having to open the tailgate first.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:44 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Originally Posted by FTrookie
I am still looking and the price Steve had on the Bakflip HD is very comparable to the Fold-A-Cover. I was wondering about security with the BF. I don't see a key lock in the pics. Does it open from the inside or did I miss it?
There's no keyed lock on the Bakflip HD. Open the tailgate and then open the cover by pulling a cord that's underneath the cover. FoldACover has two keyed locks, one in the front and one at the rear.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:48 PM
blacksierra
New User
You might check with your ford dealer they sell one as their own but it is a BF hd with a ford label on it. Through ford you get a 3 year warranty and it was just under $1000, and they didn't charge for installation.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:09 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Gray Rider
Can a Bakflip HD be mounted on a vehicle that has the optional Ford Cargo Management System? My observation indicates that it will not mount because the cargo management system rails appear to interfere with where the Bakflip mounting brackets need to be mounted. The cargo management system rails are mounted just under the bed rails and I don't think that the Bakflip attachment brackets can attach to the bed rails because the cargo management system rails are in the way. Has anybody be able to mount the Bakflip HD with the cargo management system? Thanks<O</O
<O</O
from what I know, yes it does. you just have to mention that you have the factory cargo rail system and they will include different clamps that work with that rail system.

blacksierra, you were lucky to get it under $1000. I think the list price on the Ford version of the cover is $1100 or more, and you know how most Ford dealers try to screw us on prices. Yes, you get 3 year warranty (instead of 2 years for the HD cover), but a few hundred more doesn't seem worth it for just 1 extra year of warranty.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:30 PM
rescue48
Freshman User
I put the base fold-a-cover on my new '09 F-150 and am pleased with it. I'm not a contractor, or construction guy, just an average homeowner who uses it once in awhile for normal uses. I really like mine, and could not justify paying more for the new elite model. Each person is different though. What I did notice the very first drive was that the drag was down and the tach dropped a few hundred rpm's while at speed on the highway. The mpg calculator also increased a few mpg's. So it will pay for itself in fuel.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Gray Rider
Trailering
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
from what I know, yes it does. you just have to mention that you have the factory cargo rail system and they will include different clamps that work with that rail system.

blacksierra, you were lucky to get it under $1000. I think the list price on the Ford version of the cover is $1100 or more, and you know how most Ford dealers try to screw us on prices. Yes, you get 3 year warranty (instead of 2 years for the HD cover), but a few hundred more doesn't seem worth it for just 1 extra year of warranty.
Thanks SteveVFX4 they do have a BAKFlip for a vehicle with cargo rails, I ended up ordering the BAKFLIP CS.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:39 AM
jcchsms
New User
I thought I would publish the end result of my saga.
The distributor I bought from, Steve's guy, fought hard for me with BAKFLIP. They sent me new drains and nipples, new star bolts and finally a new cover.
All in all I am pleased with my purchase. My cousin has an ARE and was complaining of the lack of access. I told him about the HD and he is looking into buying one.

I will lay the blame for most of the damage on UPS. They just crushed my trade show booth also.

If you are not happy make sure you get what you paid for. I am glad I did.

Quick Reply: Bakflip vs Fold-A-Cover