Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

PCM Upgrade planning

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
true enough but a working cruise light, smoother engine and a little mo-powa I think is worth it

Old 06-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Visseroth
true enough but a working cruise light, smoother engine and a little mo-powa I think is worth it
Save you money and put it towards a DP

Old 06-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
oh I plan on getting a DP on top of replacing my PCM. Don't worry friend, you'll being seeing more business from me. I can't wait tell your site comes up.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:43 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,108 Posts
smoother engine and a little mo-powa I think is worth it
I really would like to try to save you some money first.

The biggest concern I see is that you have a six speed. Most PCM upgrades are ONLY done to improve automatic transmission operation. ANY COMPETENT TUNER can add power no matter if it's 95-97, early 99, 99.5-01, or 02-03. It's making it DRIVEABLE that matters. All of these PCMs have the same maps that add power.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:35 AM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
I really would like to try to save you some money first.

The biggest concern I see is that you have a six speed. Most PCM upgrades are ONLY done to improve automatic transmission operation. ANY COMPETENT TUNER can add power no matter if it's 95-97, early 99, 99.5-01, or 02-03. It's making it DRIVEABLE that matters. All of these PCMs have the same maps that add power.
Ahh, ok. I understand. But if I get a DP for my truck as it is and then replace the PCM won't I have to get the DP updated again?

Old 06-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Ahh, ok. I understand. But if I get a DP for my truck as it is and then replace the PCM won't I have to get the DP updated again?
Yes, if you switch out later you will need a reburn.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:12 AM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
and that is what I'm trying to avoid. That is why I want to get the PCM first then get the DP.
Thanks Clay for answering that.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:42 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
Yes, if you switch out later you will need a reburn.
Maybe... maybe not. When I talked to Jody about my truck he said that if my PMT2 ever craps the bed on me, just to plug the original PCM back in and run the some beach.
Patrick, no offense but spending $80 to get a cruise light isn't money well spent. Use the money and put it toward a Termy modded 17* HPOP or other HPOP of your choice.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Yea, I do need a HPOP that's for sure. What's the Termy modded HPOP?

Old 06-02-2009, 12:18 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Yea, I do need a HPOP that's for sure. What's the Termy modded HPOP?
A modified stock 17° pump to increase pressure output. Termy's site. He doesn't list the modded 17° on his site, but send him an email or call and he can give you the pricing info (very reasonable).

Old 06-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
ahh, ok, ty, just emailed him to get some prices, we both know that thing needs to come out.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:13 AM
stemo76
Senior User

Is there a difference between the pmt1 and pmt2? I have an auto and heard rumor that some of the early 99 PCM don't take to programming as well as the DPC-422 models. I thought the tuners could program shift points. If your getting a custom tune and the tune is working on your current model PCM why change?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:31 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
PMT2 is a PMT1 with increased clutch holding pressure. If you plan on getting tunes down the road, don't spend the $ for a PCM swap. I don't know about the other tuners, but Jody used to recommend the swap because he was more familiar (and could better tune) the 422 series PCM's. Now with the live tuning he has done, he can tune your stock early 99 PCM just fine.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:49 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,108 Posts
Originally Posted by stemo76
Is there a difference between the pmt1 and pmt2? I have an auto and heard rumor that some of the early 99 PCM don't take to programming as well as the DPC-422 models. I thought the tuners could program shift points. If your getting a custom tune and the tune is working on your current model PCM why change?

Yes, there is a difference. There is not a lot of difference, but if you spend enough time behind the wheel with both of them (about 10 minutes towing in hilly country with each), then you will notice. However, note that there are a lot of DPC-422 "boxes" that are also junk.

I don't think it's so much of an issue with "don't take to programming as well" in regards to the E99 PCMs. I think it's the fact that there are so few E99 trucks (relative to 99.5-01 trucks on the road) that there really is a much smaller demand for tuning on these trucks. Besides, there are so many changes that have to be made in the binary to make a 402-based PCM work worth a crap that it's just easier to swap in a 422-based PCM rather than deal with a crappy shifting 402 processor (that still may be far inferior to what else is available). I hear that Jody has some good XLE programming now...that's awesome news. Though I have yet to experience it so I'm really talking out of my rear regarding it. I just took what I read off of the internet and regurgitated it as fact. So sue me.

If you think about it, only the 95-97 trucks had a longer run with a single PCM family (for automatics) than the 99.5-01 trucks. PMT1 was available for about 15 minutes (actually a couple weeks) before PMT2 came out. Before anyone knew that PMT1 really existed (or knew anything about it), there was MNM1 and a few folks still use that one since it's about the next best thing.

On the other hand, there are a handful of people who don't like PMT1. It isn't the best for every situation due to the shift characteristics and torque converter lockup enable criteria. Curtis (Pocket) is one of them....it just didn't work out for him because of the torque converter lockup scheduling.

As for changing something that works......

Exactly. If you have an E99 and you like driving it, then that's great. If you don't plan to run 3200-plus RPM or tow heavy with it, then there is nothing wrong with it.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:52 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Yes, there is a difference. There is not a lot of difference, but if you spend enough time behind the wheel with both of them (about 10 minutes towing in hilly country with each), then you will notice. However, note that there are a lot of DPC-422 "boxes" that are also junk.

I don't think it's so much of an issue with "don't take to programming as well" in regards to the E99 PCMs. I think it's the fact that there are so few E99 trucks (relative to 99.5-01 trucks on the road) that there really is a much smaller demand for tuning on these trucks. Besides, there are so many changes that have to be made in the binary to make a 402-based PCM work worth a crap that it's just easier to swap in a 422-based PCM rather than deal with a crappy shifting 402 processor (that still may be far inferior to what else is available). I hear that Jody has some good XLE programming now...that's awesome news. Though I have yet to experience it so I'm really talking out of my rear regarding it. I just took what I read off of the internet and regurgitated it as fact. So sue me.

If you think about it, only the 95-97 trucks had a longer run with a single PCM family (for automatics) than the 99.5-01 trucks. PMT1 was available for about 15 minutes (actually a couple weeks) before PMT2 came out. Before anyone knew that PMT1 really existed (or knew anything about it), there was MNM1 and a few folks still use that one since it's about the next best thing.

On the other hand, there are a handful of people who don't like PMT1. It isn't the best for every situation due to the shift characteristics and torque converter lockup enable criteria. Curtis (Pocket) is one of them....it just didn't work out for him because of the torque converter lockup scheduling.

As for changing something that works......

Exactly. If you have an E99 and you like driving it, then that's great. If you don't plan to run 3200-plus RPM or tow heavy with it, then there is nothing wrong with it.
Jody actually doesn't care for the PMT1 or PMT2 in stock form either... he said he has found a lot of issues in the trans control parameters and feels that they may be partly responsible for the piles of failed trannys in stock trucks.

Quick Reply: PCM Upgrade planning