1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Something electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:41 PM
kenworthfan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something electrical?

Today I was driving my 1986 F150 with a 302 EFI and AOD and all of a sudden it just died off and started backfiring. I let off the gas and it kept backfiring for a second, then i put it in neutral and coasted until it stopped. I tried to start it back up but it just turned and turned. It wont fire on either tank. It has good fuel pressure,so I was wondering if it was an electrical or ignition problem? Do you guys have any ideas of what this could be? Im not sure but, I dont think it is a mechanical engine problem because there was never and weird noises and it sounds healthy when it turns over.
Thanks alot in advance

Old 05-29-2009, 01:16 AM
hittman1422
Elder User
pull the codes what do they say?

Old 05-29-2009, 07:55 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does it have the module on the distributor? If so, put a new one on, fairly common failure.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:12 AM
bfbiker
Senior User
Thumbs down Dead

Originally Posted by kenworthfan
Today I was driving my 1986 F150 with a 302 EFI and AOD and all of a sudden it just died off and started backfiring. I let off the gas and it kept backfiring for a second, then i put it in neutral and coasted until it stopped. I tried to start it back up but it just turned and turned. It wont fire on either tank. It has good fuel pressure,so I was wondering if it was an electrical or ignition problem? Do you guys have any ideas of what this could be? Im not sure but, I dont think it is a mechanical engine problem because there was never and weird noises and it sounds healthy when it turns over.
Thanks alot in advance
Sounds like ya jumped time
ck your marks on the crank and but on timing marks,pull #1 plug (use a straw) and ck if piston is up if not roll the motor one more time till it is up and on marks and pull dissy cap and see where its pointing shoud be pointing at number 1 if it aint pointing close to number 1 plug ya need new gears and chain (sorry for the bum news)

Old 05-29-2009, 08:17 AM
uncle.stosh
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a bad Duraspark module on the drivers side inner fender.

About $35 with lifetime warranty from Autozone.

They are known to fail without warning and most people carry spare units somewhere in the truck or bolted next to the original one for when it does fail. You just plug the new one in and get to where you are going.

I carry a spare in my under hood tool box. I had 3 failures (free - used units) in less than two months before I bought a new one.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:17 AM
uncle.stosh
Postmaster
Sorry, double post......

Old 05-29-2009, 09:50 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Originally Posted by kenworthfan
Thanks alot in advance
every time i have had that problem it has been a short in the ignition.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:03 PM
kenworthfan
Senior User
Hey guys, thanks for the info. Its been a few days since I have been on but I have just about got it going. There were multiple things that were going out at the same time. At dark I had a buddy watch as i turned the truck over, and there were sparks coming from the wires shorting the system out. I checked the cap and rotor then also and it was time to replace them also. With those parts put on it will run for a few minutes but once it starts to warm up it starts chugging and dieing out. Eventually it quit even firing when I tried to limp it up to the house from out back. Tomorrow Im gonna put a new ignition module in and Hopefully all will be well again. Thanks for the help through this.