Sponsored by:

Key Fobs stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:25 PM
sarge rmb
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key Fobs stopped working

My Mom used my Ex to take the kids to the park today. When I went to unlock it with the fob.... NOTHING! I thought maybe a bad battery, but when I got home and tried the other one it didnt work either. Is there a fuse or something that would have gone bad? Everything else in the truck is working fine except for the remotes. HELP PLEASE! I dont want to take it in if its an easy fix or something dumb. T.Y.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:57 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Are all the auto doors locks working OK normally?

Old 05-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Rickx
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is from my 2003 Service Manual.

<TABLE width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TD>SECTION 501-14: Handles, Locks, Latches and Entry Systems
</TD><TD align=right>2003 F-Super Duty/Excursion Workshop Manual
</TD></TR><TR><TD>GENERAL PROCEDURES
</TD><TD align=right>Procedure revision date: 05/21/2002
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<HR>Remote Transmitter Programming

****** content="Remote Transmitter Programming" name=tps_proctitle>NOTE: All keyless entry remote transmitters must be programmed at the same time.
NOTE: Programming (or reprogramming) the keyless entry remote transmitters into the vehicle security module can be accomplished using a diagnostic tool or by carrying out the following steps:
  1. NOTE: Before programming the remote transmitters, the vehicle has to be unlocked. Prior to storing the first transmitter identification code (TIC) received, the module must erase TIC and rolling codes for all previously programmed keyfobs. Up to four keyfobs can programmed to the vehicle security module.
    Turn the ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, ending in RUN. If the vehicle security module has successfully entered the program mode, it will lock and unlock all the doors.
  1. Press any button on a keyless entry remote transmitter, and the doors will lock then unlock to confirm that each keyless entry remote transmitter has been programmed.
  1. If the door locks do not respond for any keyless entry remote transmitter, wait for several seconds and press the button again.
  1. To exit the TIC programming mode one of the following must occur: the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position; 20 seconds has elapsed since programming the receipt of a TIC; or 4 TICs have been programmed to the receiver. Exiting is acknowledged by locking and unlocking the vehicle if at least one TIC has successfully programmed to the vehicle security module.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Rickx
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is from my 2003 Service Manual.

<TABLE width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TD>SECTION 501-14: Handles, Locks, Latches and Entry Systems
</TD><TD align=right>2003 F-Super Duty/Excursion Workshop Manual
</TD></TR><TR><TD>GENERAL PROCEDURES
</TD><TD align=right>Procedure revision date: 05/21/2002
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<HR>Remote Transmitter Programming

****** content="Remote Transmitter Programming" name=tps_proctitle>NOTE: All keyless entry remote transmitters must be programmed at the same time.
NOTE: Programming (or reprogramming) the keyless entry remote transmitters into the vehicle security module can be accomplished using a diagnostic tool or by carrying out the following steps:
  1. NOTE: Before programming the remote transmitters, the vehicle has to be unlocked. Prior to storing the first transmitter identification code (TIC) received, the module must erase TIC and rolling codes for all previously programmed keyfobs. Up to four keyfobs can programmed to the vehicle security module.
    Turn the ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, ending in RUN. If the vehicle security module has successfully entered the program mode, it will lock and unlock all the doors.
  1. Press any button on a keyless entry remote transmitter, and the doors will lock then unlock to confirm that each keyless entry remote transmitter has been programmed.
  1. If the door locks do not respond for any keyless entry remote transmitter, wait for several seconds and press the button again.
  1. To exit the TIC programming mode one of the following must occur: the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position; 20 seconds has elapsed since programming the receipt of a TIC; or 4 TICs have been programmed to the receiver. Exiting is acknowledged by locking and unlocking the vehicle if at least one TIC has successfully programmed to the vehicle security module.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Rick beat me to it, but I was gonna say, as long as the door locks work normally, you probably just need to reprogram them.

Stewart

Old 05-29-2009, 05:59 AM
sarge rmb
Freshman User
Thanks guys. I tried doing that after reading the manual last night, but it didnt work. I m thinking I didnt do something right. I ll try again this morning. Thanks again. Oh and did anyone else ever have this problem? If so why do they just stop working? Both of my remotes are 1 year old, new from the dealer.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:52 AM
96ozarker
Junior User
Try pulling fuse #19 and see if it resets. I had this problem once, but accompanied with other symptems such as radio would not shut off, door ajar and manual locks not working. All would be intermittent. Pulling the fuse would clear it up for a while. Finally had to replace the security module for a total fix.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:03 AM
kiddocmike
New User
Any Luck?

Sarge,
Are you still having the problem with your keyless entry? My 02 Supercrew has been doing the same thing for a couple of years. I tried the reset, but it didn't work. I kinda gave up because I could easily open with the key. But, thanks to our friendly neighborhood thugs who broke in with a screwdriver, I can only unlock the passenger door. It's time to get the key fobs working again.

Any update on how your problem was resolved would be great!

Mike

Old 11-08-2014, 02:10 PM
johnallenrichter
New User
I had the same problem - sort of. I was missing a step in the instructions and it wasn't working. After 8 off/on clicks the automatic "lock/unlocking" sequence did not happen. Re-reading the manual instructions above made me realize that I had forgotten to push the "unlock" button before starting the sequence. My driver door lock switch was broken - so initially I manually unlocked all of the doors. That did not work. It's not just the doors that need to be unlocked - but it wants the electronic locking system to be set to unlock. So I used the unlock button on the passenger door and the sequence worked fine. The automatic "lock/unlock" happened and I was able to set the FOB correctly. I just wanted to post this in case anybody else might have missed the same step that I did.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:03 PM
Scarecrow74
New User
If you're interested

It could be the plug on the lock came off
You will need to check by removing the door panel

Old 02-28-2017, 06:42 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Scarecrow74
Why remove the panel? Just push a button to see if it's working. Push a button to make it light up, or push the 7/8 & 9/0 together to make it lock all the doors.

If it works, you'll know, if not, THEN remove the panel.

Don't do extra work when it isn't necessary. Besides, this is about the key fob, not the digital lock panel on the door.

Stewart

Old 03-01-2017, 09:30 AM
swmpbgy1
Senior User
Greetings all........

This happens to me too.....I can program my fobs and then a month later.....nothing. Neither of them work. I reprogram them and they work fine. They are both new, power locks work and the door passcode buttons work too. Any suggestions??

Swmpbgy1

Old 03-01-2017, 11:34 AM
BEARDOWN
Senior User
Originally Posted by swmpbgy1
Greetings all........

This happens to me too.....I can program my fobs and then a month later.....nothing. Neither of them work. I reprogram them and they work fine. They are both new, power locks work and the door passcode buttons work too. Any suggestions??

Swmpbgy1
This exact same thing was happening to me after about 3 years on one I bought. I bought a new FOB off Amazon 3 months ago and no problems since.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:37 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Scarecrow74
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Why remove the panel?
Hah (laughing at myself) it just occured to me, you probably mean the interior power lock button, doncha? Not the exterior mounted keypad, yes?

Your post is so non-specific it could be taken differently, and this morning my brain read it differently, and in a manner that now makes a little more sense of your post.

If I am right, you still don't need to remove the door panel, just lift the lock panel from the door panel and you'll have access.

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 03-01-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:50 PM
papence
New User
Thank you for the information on programming the keyfobs to the truck. It worked as expected for my 2005 F250.