Tonneau cover ? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tonneau cover ?

Old 05-25-2009, 12:11 AM
HankMurphy
Senior User
HankMurphy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Boy, I hate to get into the middle of a thread beating the tonneau mileage dead horse, but the real advantage to tonneau covers is keeping your stuff covered. Besides sun damage, one stolen power tool can run hundreds of dollars. The mileage is a nice plus, although I think the aerodynamics of 2004+ (and probably 1997+) F150s negate this. OTOH, on a 1980 8-foot bed regular cab, one might really see some benefit.

Cheers,

Old 05-25-2009, 11:53 AM
WeWonIt
Elder User
WeWonIt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Still Smoking View Post
Not the best pics but here they are

Well I think with some precise drilling, some stainless steel hardware and some industrial epoxy, you've got this one in the bag. I'd epoxy both ends back into place after a thorough cleaning and wipe down with acetone, after allowing it to dry for the required time, use a 1" X .5" piece of aluminum stock placed neatly on top of the joint and drill small pilot holes through the plate into the plastic, remove the plate and drill a counter sunk hole for a flush application and using counter sink SS screws, for good measure put a couple of drops of the epoxy in the holes before hand tightening the screws in place. I can see how I would do it, but this is the best description I can give for now. BTW is the MPG with a cover issue really what you started this thread for, or do we have 2 pages of people forcing their opinions on you. If you decide to custom cut your cover for a tool box please post pics.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Still Smoking is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by WeWonIt View Post
Well I think with some precise drilling, some stainless steel hardware and some industrial epoxy, you've got this one in the bag. I'd epoxy both ends back into place after a thorough cleaning and wipe down with acetone, after allowing it to dry for the required time, use a 1" X .5" piece of aluminum stock placed neatly on top of the joint and drill small pilot holes through the plate into the plastic, remove the plate and drill a counter sunk hole for a flush application and using counter sink SS screws, for good measure put a couple of drops of the epoxy in the holes before hand tightening the screws in place. I can see how I would do it, but this is the best description I can give for now. BTW is the MPG with a cover issue really what you started this thread for, or do we have 2 pages of people forcing their opinions on you. If you decide to custom cut your cover for a tool box please post pics.
I see what your saying. I will have to try that this weekend if not tomorrow. No the MPG thing wasnt what I started it for but now that its off my miles have went down hill back to below 14 and thats the same driving I was doing before and I got 15-16. Im still up in the air about cutting it in half for the tool box. I want a tool box cause I like the way they look but its the money issue. Plus it would cover up my sweet American made Built with tools not chop sticks sticker. I guess I could get a new one smaller but I will see how trying to fix my cover works. If it dont work I will more than likely be cutting it down.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:22 PM
sjwelds
Elder User
sjwelds is starting off with a positive reputation.
buy a truxedo lo profile they're the best i got one on my truck and love it guess that doesn't save you a whole lot of money though

Old 05-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Ya I was looking at them but the one I got is fine just needs that bar fixed. So thats my goal is to see about that. Im going to try two local truck stores that sell accessories by me tomorrow and go from there if nothing im going to make something work.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Well went to two of my local truck accesory shops. The second one had the parts I needed. 10 bucks a piece. I didnt think it was to bad. Good as new. Kinda upset cause I was kinda looking towards the tool box and a small tonneau but o well now I can save my money for something else.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:43 PM
WeWonIt
Elder User
WeWonIt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Still Smoking View Post
Well went to two of my local truck accesory shops. The second one had the parts I needed. 10 bucks a piece. I didnt think it was to bad. Good as new. Kinda upset cause I was kinda looking towards the tool box and a small tonneau but o well now I can save my money for something else.
Man I'm glad you found the parts, it's always better to use the right stuff and only rig stuff if you have to. If I had the right box, I'd do the tonneau chop. But as it stands I had to rig some mounts to fit the job box from my Super Duty to fit in this tiny bed. At least now I can put stuff under my box too.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:07 PM
zoabusti
New User
zoabusti is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile Tonneau cover

Hi Still Smoking,

I saw your posting of 5/2009 regarding the lost rail that rides across the tail gate that snaps down the tonneau cover (connects to the side rails). I lost one..i guess i didnt have it snapped in tight. Did you ever find a replacement? I hate to have to buy everything when i only need that! Help! tks

zoabusti

Old 03-25-2013, 02:55 PM
tomfiii
Senior User
tomfiii is starting off with a positive reputation.
My sportmaster broke the front inserts at 2 yr.s got replacements that lasted 10+ years and of course they went out of business.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:32 PM
fastmerc
New User
fastmerc is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is a long shot.....

Sent the Smoking one a private email.....

Any chance anyone knows of a truck shop that would have the sportmasters corner pieces that he blew out? (of the tailgate removable portion? Mine both just gave up yesterday.....and I hate to trash a good cover just for two small plastic pieces....

Drop me a note if you have any leads!

Thanks!
Steve
2001 Screw

Old 05-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Cysparks
New User
Cysparks is starting off with a positive reputation.
tonneau masters replacement parts

I have the tonneau master truck bed cover, roll back. The velcro isn't working any more and they seem to be out of business. The cover itself is in great condition. It's just the velcro on the strips in the track that's attached to the truck bed. Any suggestions?

Old 05-12-2014, 03:20 PM
fastmerc
New User
fastmerc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sportsmasters Corners

All,

The guy by this name "wallybuddy" has been selling Sportsmasters corner pieces for a while on eBay. I picked up a couple of sets to fix my rear crossmember support a while back. Great guy! He either worked at the plant, or near, and bought a bunch of stuff at an auction, and now is piecing it out.

He says that he has a bunch of kits.....but good luck. I'd like to get a new vinyl piece for my SCrew bed, but he doesn't seem real keen on sifting thru the mismatches to find this sort of thing. Can't blame him! Sounds like he got a lot of "returns" that didn't fit a particular truck......due to wrong parts etc.

Anyway, if you are looking for corner pieces, look him up, by searching on seller name.

Cheers!
Steve