new guy

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:50 AM
shiftles
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new guy

Hello all, just joined, just bought a '66 with a 289? Drug her home from Topeka to Delton MI, about 750 miles. No Qs yet, but they will come. Had a 63 van, 1st car, and a 65 van with a Rocket 350 and a 2 speed Hydraglyde tranny in that one. Its been 30 years between those 2 and this one. scott

Old 05-22-2009, 01:19 AM
66gpw
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the group here. Nice yellow 5 window truck. I have one that is still rough (not 5 window). It is yellow and Black. I say it looks like a bee. Have plans to cut mine in half and attach a Falcon van body to it to make an extended cab Econoline truck. Just no time at the moment. Still too much work building a home here.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:09 AM
shiftles
New User
Mine looks like a B also, a B-nanna. I dont reconize where your from? Not sure what I'm gonna do with this. I was going to Flatblack what I got, but I did'nt think I would get one already painted. So it will stay yellow for a while. Going to look at some shows to get some ideas, but nothing fancy. I also bought another 5 window for parts. gotta go get that one. scott

Old 05-22-2009, 06:09 PM
briank
Mountain Pass
Welcome to the group. I am currently working on my 62 5 window truck work in progress. Just put in a 351W and AOD tranny. Front disc brakes. If you want to join a couple of groups, go to Yahoo and do a search in the Group section you will find Oldeconolines and Econosrus. Click the join button, we would be happy to have you there.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:23 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
I would not repaint your truck it looks great in the yellow. I hail from Saskatchewan up in the great white north of Canada.
Another site that is on these old vans and trucks is vinatge-Vans or Vannin. are two more sites that recognise our old Ecomo boxes.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:08 AM
shiftles
New User
Thanks guys, I'm always looking for sites/info on these. Look for me on these sites. This trucks kinda a wreck, with a paint job. That dont mean I wont have some fun with it.
briank, I went to yahoo and tryed to join Oldeconoilnes, but I think I need a Yahoo addy? Will try again though.
66, the great white north aye? Been there a few times, being only 100 miles away. Will check out these sites to.
Do these sites got lots of pix?
Any parts sorces? Hopefully this other truck will have the little things I need. Like a headliner, visors, and a heater. I also hear that different car seats will fit? This truck has 5 lug nuts? I thought there should be 4?

Old 05-23-2009, 09:52 AM
66gpw
Postmaster
I just saw another truck on Kijiji.ca for sale . Asking $500 or best canadian. It is located in Manitoba. No pics. and it is a 5 window cab truck. He says rusty only for parts. If I was more ahead finanacially I go and get it.
The hardest parts to find for these trucks are the corner cab windows and endgates.
Even dented and rusty endgates are prized, because they are better than nothing. I saw years ago someone here in their gallery where they restored their rusty endgate and did a good job.

Your closer to the norderthan I'am. I have a 5 hour drive to get to a border crossing.
Vintage -vans has pics from members. A site called fordeconolines.com has lots of pics. When they are up and running.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:54 AM
66gpw
Postmaster
Oh yes the wheels are 5 lug bolt wheels. These trucks and vans first came with 13" rims and tries. Another hard to find rims now for my restoration around here. By the mid 60's more 14' rims were an opyion or people just changed to them.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:44 AM
briank
Mountain Pass
Shiftles,
You will have to have a yahoo account. But then you can go into Options then Account info and change where to want to receive your messages.

Brian

Old 05-26-2009, 08:53 PM
shiftles
New User
I have'nt got to the other sites yet, but I will as soon as she gets off the puter. But I went and pissed her off again. Imagine that! For $200 I drug this home. Not sure the year, but it has a tailgate and a gas tank, and the corner glass. The rest is just gravy. I drug it 100+ miles, down I-94, rust a flying, Just gonna cut it up for parts. I wonder if there is any tech for removing glass in one piece? Or tips on striping the rest. It looks some different than mine, as the heaters are different, there is only a vent on the drivers side, and the top lights. Anyway heres some ****.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:07 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
The heater box tells me the truck is from 61-64 truck. 65's were changed to have the heaters on the firewall or cowling.
I thought the truck looked ok at first til you showed the shots of the box.
If the rubber around the glass is all cracked up and not sealing. Just cut it out and then the glass will fall out for you.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Econousaparts
New User
That truck is either a 61 or 62 as evidenced by the shape of the column support bracket. That bracket was different in 63'64, and changed again 65-67.
The heater box is usually a dead give awat also but I ve seen people install floor heaters in 65-67 trucks so thats not always a for sure way of telling.
No bell housing hump in the bed floor at cab wall means it's definitely not a 65-67. A full steel engine crossmember would mean 65-67 but Im sure its got 2 rotted out individual sheet metal support arms like those used in 61-64. Also no outside drivers door lock on 61 and early 62 models.

Ok, your most money is definitely in the tailgate in ANY condition. Get the hinge I see still attached to the back of the truck too. Save the curved glass and windshield if good. Grille looks good too.
The truck looks pretty bad overall but if it were me I would save any panles not rotted out like maybe the upper bed rail panels since nobody makes them in re-pop. Check for a front sway bar also. Is the steering box tight,if so keep it. I could get lots of good parts even off that rust bucket. Pick it clean.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:02 PM
shiftles
New User
I've had it a couple weeks, and all I've done so far is spray pen. oil. I noticed no door lock, and my heaters different. Havent done any stripping yet.

I got my 66 home with a bad starter, got that chainged. Still not running right, irratic, high idel, then low, stalling, then not restarting. But yesterday it stalled, I thought I turned the key off? Well I came back an hour later And the coil had blowed up!! Its the drinking glass shaped one, with the tower comming out the top, and it blew the windings out of the caseing, Blew oil? all over the inside of my truck, hood was up. SH#T all over. Any ideas why? 289 transplant. I dont have the coin for a new coil, but I cant buy one and have it blow too.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:13 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
Good catch on the key locks on the door.
I did not know of any difference of the steering colunm mounting bracket. I still do not see it. Can you enlighten me on the difference. I like to learn this to.
I read that the 61's also had no glove box doors when they first came out. In 62 they put the doors on., But anyone could put one in afterwards.

Oh never mind the steering bracket difference. I see it now. My 64 has the bolts to a bracket right by the colunm where the one in the picture bolts through the side of the bracket.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:18 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
Your coil blowing up. was probally faulty. It sounds like it was shortinga nd over heating itself and the oil inside built up pressure and blew.
Clean it up, I hope without staining. Put in another coil.
Usually if the coil gets hot like that it will just burn itself out.
If you put another coil in. Start the truck with the coil wire nearly off. If it has a dull yellow spark it is probally no good . Now a bright white spark jumping from the coil to the wire , then you have a good coil and spark.

Quick Reply: new guy