Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

early 99 with a cat?

Old 05-21-2009, 09:11 AM
rat49f6
Postmaster
rat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to behold
early 99 with a cat?

The subjest of trucks being built with or without a cat from FoMoCo came up in another thread so now I'm confused

I'm pretty sure that my early 99 (10/98) had a muffler and cat ...I deleted the muffler but the cat is still there

What trucks have cats which don't?

Old 05-21-2009, 09:25 AM
superduty4x4
Post Fiend
superduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud of
Early's and Canada's have cats. I believe all the Cali models have cats as well. Mine is an early 99 Cali model, and when I bought there was a piece of straight pipe crudely welded in where a cat should have been.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:00 PM
xccxsinnerx
Junior User
xccxsinnerx is starting off with a positive reputation.
how do you tell if your truck is a cali model? my truck already had straight pipe on it when i purchased it so i dont know if it had a cat plus california wants to smog diesels next year so im getting kinda scarred

Old 05-21-2009, 06:04 PM
superduty4x4
Post Fiend
superduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by xccxsinnerx View Post
how do you tell if your truck is a cali model? my truck already had straight pipe on it when i purchased it so i dont know if it had a cat plus california wants to smog diesels next year so im getting kinda scarred
Send Ed, FTEPARTSGUY, your VIN and he can send you a build sheet. On that, it will state if your rig is Cali emissions or not. You can also look for a sticker on the underside of the hood that says "CATALYST" and the passenger side valve cover sticker will also have some info.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Fat Diesel
Postmaster
Fat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud of
Take a look at the sticker on the under side of the hood. There should be a sticker that has the word catalyst or something similar on it. I scratched mine off when I bought my cat-delete pipe from Ford. If they start testing, I'm going to be pissed. That was one of the major selling points for me buying a diesel in the 1st place!

Old 05-21-2009, 06:06 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Hand shakers came with them too. Easy way to determine the CA model would be having a GPCM instead of a GPR. Or if you have a CAT and no hand shaker.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:08 PM
superduty4x4
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
Hand shakers came with them too. Easy way to determine the CA model would be having a GPCM instead of a GPR. Or if you have a CAT and no hand shaker.
The exception there is the early 99- still uses a GPR, but it's a different GPR than the 49 state models. I realize he's talking about an 02 there, but I figured I'd throw the info out there "for the greater good"

Old 05-21-2009, 06:20 PM
lowbed dud
Senior User
lowbed dud is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
my 02 is from texas, botit in ca. 4" and muffler no cat

Old 05-21-2009, 07:56 PM
xccxsinnerx
Junior User
xccxsinnerx is starting off with a positive reputation.
i just talked to my friends father who bought his 2000 7.3 in cali brand new and he said his never came with a cat/scrubber ... i will look under my hood and try to find some emission stickers

Old 05-21-2009, 10:36 PM
cangim
Postmaster
cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.
I kept mine when it came off just for this very reason. Really though, get some thin 5 or 6 inch pipe and make something that looks like a cat, hose it with water so it will rust and I am willing to be that you'd never fail an inspection for a cat. Passing actual emisions should be no problem as well. Most are allowed up to 40percent opacity. Last time I had to do one I left the chip on just to see. Made it register around 7 percent. In stock tuning, maybe 2 percent.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:41 AM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster
WA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to all
Well my truck was built and originally sold in Canada and it has no stinking cat?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.