Sponsored by: Moser

Finally a review worth reading!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 10:31 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally a review worth reading!!!

MotorTrend held a comparison test and the F-150 came out on top. MotorTrend seems to know that what makes a truck good is NOT its 0-60 and 1/4 mile times and trap speed...

Heres's a quote from the final words of the comparison. This sums it up perfectly.

FIRST PLACE: FORD F-150
Practice makes perfect, and Ford's been practicing its truck-building skills for decades. There's simply more design maturity here.

SECOND PLACE: TOYOTA TUNDRA
Faster and more fun to drive, but the new world order of trucks is likely to emphasize practical details over driving grins.

2009 Ford F-150 Supercrew Lariat vs 2009 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Limited Comparison - Motor Trend

Old 05-18-2009, 11:13 PM
ddl_cgy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by aortizexcursion
MotorTrend held a comparison test and the F-150 came out on top. MotorTrend seems to know that what makes a truck good is NOT its 0-60 and 1/4 mile times and trap speed...

Heres's a quote from the final words of the comparison. This sums it up perfectly.

FIRST PLACE: FORD F-150
Practice makes perfect, and Ford's been practicing its truck-building skills for decades. There's simply more design maturity here.
SECOND PLACE: TOYOTA TUNDRA
Faster and more fun to drive, but the new world order of trucks is likely to emphasize practical details over driving grins.

2009 Ford F-150 Supercrew Lariat vs 2009 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Limited Comparison - Motor Trend

I don't think the bitching here has been that the Tundra is a better truck than the F-150 but that the F-150 should have a similar drivetrain to the Tundra's with better performance and mileage than the current 5.4L 3V.

The rest of the F-150 truck generally isn't in question but just the poor engine performance relative to the rest of the half ton pickup class.

The Tundra has shown that it's possible to have much better performance with at least equal mileage.

DDL

Old 05-18-2009, 11:28 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ddl_cgy
I don't think the bitching here has been that the Tundra is a better truck than the F-150 but that the F-150 should have a similar drivetrain to the Tundra's with better performance and mileage than the current 5.4L 3V.

The rest of the F-150 truck generally isn't in question but just the poor engine performance relative to the rest of the half ton pickup class.

The Tundra has shown that it's possible to have much better performance with at least equal mileage.

DDL
I'm not going to deny the F-150s shortcomings (at least in a relative world) in the engine department, it's true, it would be amazing to have a more powerful engine and hopefully Ford will soon fulfill this but like I said 0-60 times and 1/4 mile trap speeds are not what makes a truck... a truck and MotorTrend seems to understand this.

The Tundra offers better performance while delivering the same MPG (at least in this comparo; both recorded 16.2 MPG) and yet it still lost this comparo because it "hasn't quite yet caught up to the category's perennial leader."

Old 05-18-2009, 11:47 PM
werewolf
Senior User
All those magazine reviews - except for Consumer Reports - are pure crap. Whoever spends the most advertising money wins. I don't suppose Dodge and Chevy will be winning any more of these phony magazine tests.

I picked the Ford over the Toyota because of two main reasons: 1. I had such great luck with my '97 F150, and 2. I fit in the Ford much much better than I fit in the Toyota.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:50 PM
werewolf
Senior User
On page 5 of that review it says the F150 gets 5 years/60,000 miles roadside assistance. Is that true? I thought it was 3 years/36,000, same as the warranty. I need to look at my paperwork again.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:54 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by werewolf
All those magazine reviews - except for Consumer Reports - are pure crap.

I don't know if I should take you seriously after that comment.

CR does not review cars... they don't know how. They review appliances and little things like that. Their reviews about those things are the only reviews I will take the time to read and actually consider from CR.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:56 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
On page 5 of that review it says the F150 gets 5 years/60,000 miles roadside assistance. Is that true? I thought it was 3 years/36,000, same as the warranty. I need to look at my paperwork again.
Straight from the Ford website...

Warranty for 2009 F-150 - Overview | Ford Vehicles

Old 05-19-2009, 03:48 AM
stukel
New User
All those magazine reviews - except for Consumer Reports - are pure crap.
With all due respect, the the only expertice that CR has with a "pickup" is a slick introduction to a girl at a bar.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
All those magazine reviews - except for Consumer Reports - are pure crap. Whoever spends the most advertising money wins. I don't suppose Dodge and Chevy will be winning any more of these phony magazine tests.

I picked the Ford over the Toyota because of two main reasons: 1. I had such great luck with my '97 F150, and 2. I fit in the Ford much much better than I fit in the Toyota.

See...and now i'd say that consumer reports is crap.....

1. For years they swore that maytag neptunes and whirlpool calypso washers were the best out there.....they both almost bankrupted those companies with class action lawsuits...

2. Consumer reports has constantly rated the tundras as better trucks because they were such smooth riding vehicles...really is that why we pick one over another???

Old 05-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
See...and now i'd say that consumer reports is crap.....

1. For years they swore that maytag neptunes and whirlpool calypso washers were the best out there.....they both almost bankrupted those companies with class action lawsuits...

2. Consumer reports has constantly rated the tundras as better trucks because they were such smooth riding vehicles...really is that why we pick one over another???
I used to sell white goods about 7-8 years ago and whirlpool/philips were the biggest heaps of **** ever. The funny thing is you never see CR reviewing the machine's that are infact very good machine's like Miele, which would blow every other machine away. I have took miele's from houses that were over 25 years old and they still worked as good as they day they bought a new one. Let alone all the other brown and white good reviews they do that are very far from what everyone else reviews them. This is why i never pay any attention to CR reviews.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:03 PM
werewolf
Senior User
"Consumer reports has constantly rated the tundras as better trucks ..."

No they don't. I studied the annual April CR auto issue carefully before buying the '09 F150 and I gathered that it was the best of the lot. CR is far from perfect but it's the best and most objective resource we have, especially their survey of something like 3/4 of a million readers to determine reliability of the different makes and models.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No they don't. I studied the annual April CR auto issue carefully before buying the '09 F150 and I gathered that it was the best of the lot. CR is far from perfect but it's the best and most objective resource we have, especially their survey of something like 3/4 of a million readers to determine reliability of the different makes and models.
I haven't looked at this years....but look at a long line of previous years and you'll see what i mean

Old 05-19-2009, 10:16 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru

It's not even worth the time to continue with you. If you think of CR as a reliable, unbiased source for automotive evaluation then by all means keep reading them while I enjoy my TRUE auto magazines such as CAR & DRIVER and MOTOR TREND that actually know a thing or two about cars.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:28 PM
werewolf
Senior User
The car magazines rate cars best which spend the most advertising money. They make their money by advertising not by mag. sales. Not just car mag's, but bicycle mag's, gun magazines, whatever. They reward their advertisers. That's why I said I don't think any Dodges will be winning any car mag. tests any more as I don't think Dodge will be buying any more advertisements. Their tests are mostly meaningless, except sometimes you can read between the lines, so if you see the slightest criticism - like, "Wow, this new Hupmobile is totally perfect in every way, except perhaps the the brakes could be a tiny trifle more efficient." Well then you can probably assume that the Hupmobile has brakes that barely work at all.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:34 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
The car magazines rate cars best which spend the most advertising money. They make their money by advertising not by mag. sales. Not just car mag's, but bicycle mag's, gun magazines, whatever. They reward their advertisers. That's why I said I don't think any Dodges will be winning any car mag. tests any more as I don't think Dodge will be buying any more advertisements. Their tests are mostly meaningless, except sometimes you can read between the lines, so if you see the slightest criticism - like, "Wow, this new Hupmobile is totally perfect in every way, except perhaps the the brakes could be a tiny trifle more efficient." Well then you can probably assume that the Hupmobile has brakes that barely work at all.
You know, I think of CR the exact same way when it comes to their auto reviews.

Quick Reply: Finally a review worth reading!!!