1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Tailgate on a '54 Panel

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:01 AM
kripfink
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tailgate on a '54 Panel

Hi Folks,haven't stopped by for a while as I've been dealing more with the Kustom stuff on the Kripple Kart,(and moving house)but we finally took on the thorny subject of the back doors,and I figured some of you might like to see our solution so far.
To explain,I'm doing my Panel as a late '50's-early '60's full Kustom,and one eyesore I wanted to lose since day one was the back doorhinges.At first I was adamant that I didn't wanna liftgate (too 80's) ,but after much headscratchin' it soon became obvious it was the only way to go.
With the help of a tip from John (56panelford) we found out it had been done before using 70's Pinto station wagon hinges and at this point I'd like to thank him and also Joe Gaddy (okiedokie) for scouring US junk yards, finding me a pair and shipping them on trust to me here. Without his efforts, this would never have got off the ground (NO Pintos in England)
So we started with this beastie;

The next step was to join the 2 doors together to form a tailgate. Now like I said, we didn't like the idea of a tailgate so my bodyguys came up with a cunning plan to make it look like a factory pressed optional Panel painstakingly pressing a groove into the welded joining piece, making it look in my opinion, more "traditional" rather than "street-rod". I'm sure purists will be horrified that we've removed the "Ford" lettering from the back doors but I assure you it's nothing against Ford, it's just that I love the idea of old Kustoms being seen as mystery cars back in the day. Now I know this is not gonna fool anyone stateside but there are very few people over here who would know F100 let alone that it was a Ford and I just wanna keep 'em guessing.

This is how they reinforced the roof panel and mounted the hinges inside. Since these photographs were taken brackets have been made and welded to the hinges and bolted to the back door. We had to remove the hinge springs as they protrude too far inside and impede my head clearance when I wheel into the Panel. Support will eventually come from heavy duty gas struts.

And finally, voila a tailgate. Obviously theres still plenty of welding and leading to go particularly as with the rain channel removed the top of the door is slightly distanced from the jamb so a leaded lip over the door is on its way. Plenty of clearance and somewhere to shelter from the rain. When you see her in the flesh (as it were) its absolutely STAGGERING how much losing those god awful hinges and the rain channel improve the lines of the rear end and help get away from the "utility" vehicle look.

The tailgate will be secured either side of the ramp (avoiding the drop down centre section) with bear claws and a push button solonoid, with a hidden pull cable under the roll pan in case of emergencies. A million thanks to Jim and Gary at Royal Kustoms for the fantastic job they're doing. I did ask them to take more photos than they have but hey, they have a job to do and I want my truck back soon, so I'm afraid this rather lame attempt at a second hand description will have to do.
Later
Paul

Old 05-15-2009, 10:14 AM
merc546
Posting Guru
Looking good. Those guys are doing a really nice job. You need to show what you have done to your running boards fantastic work, but I have to say I liked the black with flames paint better but then again its yours and you like the 60's.

Chuck

P.S.

Been following the build over on the HAMB

Old 05-15-2009, 10:43 AM
kripfink
Junior User
Thanks man,I really love the running boards too;

Yeah, the black and flames is what made me buy her in the first place. But at the end of the day, she was mainly stock with flames on, and I've always wanted a Kustom with a 'K', and since being wheelchair bound counts me out as far as a '49 Merc or dare I say it, a '49 Fleetline, a Panel it has to be, and to me F100's are to Kustom trucks what Mercs are to Kustom cars. Besides, this is all MY idea, not the previous owners.
Paul

Old 05-15-2009, 11:11 AM
rockher_man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Tailgatin'...

...RightOn......man...that is smokin'...never thought about anything like that!

REAL nice......CONGRATS...I'm gonna jump over to the H.A.M.B.
and see whats over there also...

Lookin' good fink...lookin' mighty good man......

OH...them boards are way KOOL too!!!

Old 05-15-2009, 12:40 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,135 Likes on 2,657 Posts
That looks great Paul,your body guys have done a remarkable job. Thanks so much for the update, great pictures and I agree with everyone else, those running boards look great. How soon before we see it painted.
John P.S. you'll need to start another gallery so this build doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:58 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
really first class work, especially on the running boards. I've been planning on molding in the front junction of my boards as well, but I will leave a seam so the fenders can still be removed. Where did they move the fuel filler to?

Old 05-15-2009, 03:25 PM
kripfink
Junior User

sneaky eh?
Paul

Old 05-15-2009, 09:20 PM
low54
Elder User
Fink...I've been following your build on "the other site"...can't wait to see your flaked out ride...later

Old 12-17-2010, 05:23 AM
9teen56f100
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Paul's panel is featured in the latest issue (January 2011) of Custom Classic Trucks. I sent him an E-mail asking him to stop by FTE as its been a while. The panel turned out every bit the 50's-60's custom he said he was shooting for. Way to go Paul.
brian...

Old 12-17-2010, 07:49 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,135 Likes on 2,657 Posts
Thanks for that update ,I'll have to see about picking up that issue of the magazine. Real happy for Paul.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:28 PM
jaye
Posting Guru
I have that issue also I was just telling my daughter that it belongs to a guy on FTE board. Great work I really like the finished product.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Michigan Rick
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finksville went nationwide! or is it worldwide!

Congrats buddy for the magazine spread.....looks great.

Michigan Rick

Old 12-18-2010, 11:48 AM
mathew21
Junior User
Wow, It's coming along Great.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:44 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
wow that is sweet,,,i i wouldve known,we have a pinto sitting in the back yard im sure we couldve spared them for you...good looking panel...is that red/silver scalops yours too ?

Old 12-19-2010, 02:20 PM
dawolverine
Senior User
Hey Paul,
I'm gonna catch up with you sooner or later at one of the shows and say hi - after I make sure my truck is parked the other side of the show so its not shown up so much by yours!!!

Its looking better than ever and really like those running boards...
Mark

Quick Reply: Tailgate on a '54 Panel