Sponsored by:

1992 Ford B700?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Orpackrat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 Ford B700?

In the next month or so (end of the school year), I plan on buying a '92 B700 School Bus to make into a motor home as well as a trip bus for my team. I've driven it and its a decent bus, does not seem to have any problems. The only thing concerns me a bit is that when its cold, it blows a little white smoke and after its warmed up, a darker exhaust. It will have about 152,000 miles on it by the time its up for sale.

I have a few questions.

Is the white and darker exhaust a sign of problems?

The starter seems a little slow but the bus fires right, the starter is slower than other buses, is there something wrong with the starter possibly?

I am expecting about 10MPG HWY, is that a good expectation?

Are there any common mechanical issues that I should know about?

Thanks,

Steven C.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:18 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
On a 92 B700 its probably either a 6.6 or 7.8 liter Brazilian Ford diesel as I don't think the Cummins came till later. The 6.6 and 7.8s don't have intake grid heaters or glowplugs so they will smoke when cold till the combustion chambers warm up.
Lots of factors effect fuel mileage but in general 10 mpg may be a bit optimistic, I would anticipate more like 8-9 mpg.
Our 6.6 was solid, our 7.8 had issues.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:43 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We have a 7.8 at work, and it's had a hard life but kept on chugging. It's going to surplus due to age & mileage. Only real issue its had was the belts like to break(carry a spare set). It has 167k, and the water pump went out a few days ago. I seem to remember it got pretty good mpg, considering it's a 20k pound bucket truck. I dont think 10mpg is too far fetched. With a charged battery, try adding a jump start from another truck to see if it spins any faster. You could also have corrosion on one of the batteries, and not getting any juice out of it.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:04 AM
Orpackrat
Senior User
Is there an easy way to tell whether its a 6.6 or a 7.8?

Would a block heater be beneficial for colder weather?

Would a cold air intake get me closer to 10MPG?

Thanks.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:43 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Orpackrat
Is there an easy way to tell whether its a 6.6 or a 7.8?

Would a block heater be beneficial for colder weather?

Would a cold air intake get me closer to 10MPG?

Thanks.
If it appears that you can't remove the rocker cover because of clearance with the firewall its probably a 7.8..............seriously the 6.6 is not as tall and clearance at that point is noticeably better. Ford also used air cleaner brackets with multiple attachment holes so they could be used on both engines, if the engine to air cleaner bracket mounting bolts are in the top holes its likely a 7.8, bottom holes 6.6.
If all else fails check rocker cover for emissions/ratings sticker or bus VIN.
OEM setup was two frost plug heaters.
Air cleaner opening is already sealed to the grill area, how can you get any "colder" air intake than that?

Old 05-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Dean88
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there no chance it could be a 6.9/7.3 IDI???

Sorry I'm just curios I've never messed with the larger Fords

Old 05-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Orpackrat
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dean88

Before it went back to the other city (we were borrowing it for 2 days), what I saw of the engine was that it was much bigger than the 7.3 in my 88 diesel.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:21 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dean88

No chance at all that a 92 B700 would have came with a 6.9/7.3 V8 diesel.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Dean88
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by origcharger
No chance at all that a 92 B700 would have came with a 6.9/7.3 V8 diesel.
Thats what I was more or less asking, not this partuclar bus having it, but if any of the larger Ford's came them.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Ship Boy
Temporarily Deactivated
School buses are geared for low speed weight hauling. If you push one to try and drive 55 or faster on the open road you will USE GAS PLENTY OF EXTRA GAS AND STRAIN THE ENGINE. For short trips they work fine if you keep the speed down. I would get a used activity bus because they are made to run faster.Also all school ttransportation department are required to keep service records. Look at them and you will see when any major work (like brakes etc)was done.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Orpackrat
Senior User
Most of them seem to top out at 55MPH if your lucky and are on flat ground with a light load.

This bus I call one of the good buses in that a hill that we have between Lincoln City and Newport, most larger vehicles end up going 25-35 at the top with a starting run of 55 at the base. The buses I call good buses are able to be traveling at 45MPG at the top of the hill.

The bus has a couple minor things that need fixing on the inside but it runs rather solid and is one of the better buses. Its just being sold due to age. The brakes on it are great, even though buses can't stop on a dime, this bus comes close.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:23 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Orpackrat
Most of them seem to top out at 55MPH if your lucky and are on flat ground with a light load.

This bus I call one of the good buses in that a hill that we have between Lincoln City and Newport, most larger vehicles end up going 25-35 at the top with a starting run of 55 at the base. The buses I call good buses are able to be traveling at 45MPG at the top of the hill.

The bus has a couple minor things that need fixing on the inside but it runs rather solid and is one of the better buses. Its just being sold due to age. The brakes on it are great, even though buses can't stop on a dime, this bus comes close.
If that 1992 Ford bus has hydraulic brakes I would not even consider buying it. The hydraulic "Lucas Girling" rear brakes Ford used during that era are expensive time bombs waiting to happen.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:14 AM
Orpackrat
Senior User
Originally Posted by origcharger
If that 1992 Ford bus has hydraulic brakes I would not even consider buying it. The hydraulic "Lucas Girling" rear brakes Ford used during that era are expensive time bombs waiting to happen.
It has air brakes, all our big buses have air brakes. Only the mini buses and 2 of the medium sized special needs buses have hydraulic brakes.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:47 AM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Then, anfter you get it, you can adjust the fuel screw to go up the hill even easier. I think I know the hill you're talking about too, I grew up in Albany with lots of Coast trips.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Orpackrat
Senior User
The buses have a governor or that's what I've heard, is there a way to remove them?

What do you mean adjust the fuel screw?

Its Cape Foulweather for that hill.

Quick Reply: 1992 Ford B700?