1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

5.0 and aod tranny

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:02 PM
pipman76
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0 and aod tranny

my 58 f-100 has a 390 c-6 but ive found a great 5.o and Aod i m thinking of buying for my truck when i get ready to do the FAT-MAN , CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT i need to know about getting the tranny Tv cable hooked up i dont know alot about Overdrives but i will be taking the fuel injection off and replacing with a edelbrock intake and carb any knowledge would be helpful
the engine and tranny is out of a 91 mustang ,the linkage for the shifter is for a floor shifter if i use a column shifter how do i get the tranny linkage to work with that also Thanx

Old 05-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Last Chance 56
Elder User
I did the same thing with a 5.0 and AOD. If you search the threads you can find many suggestions and tips on how to do it.

What you will need is a Lokar Aod cable and throttle linkage setup that will bolt up to the edelbrock (looks good and easy to adjust).

What I did (and got lucky doing it) was hold the throttle 3/4 open and set my TV cable there to start with. Then drove the truck and it seem to shift a little quick and after a few adjustments it seemed fine. I then put her on a trailer and carried to a buddy that rebuilds trannies and have him check it with a gauge. It checked good and no more adjustments have been made in over 7000 miles since last year.

As for the column shift, I went with a Ididit column (easy enough to put in) and bought a AOD shifter kit for it. It is a cable shift and it is a booger to install but I advise putting that on before you install the tranny in the truck as you will have to change out the lever in the trans for the new cable to hook up correctly.

Good luck and search the threads that is where you will find all the smart people with numbers, pressures, and theory applications and stuff. I just drank and then do it, then break down, learn from it, drank, and then drank some more.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:35 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Last Chance 56
I did the same thing with a 5.0 and AOD. If you search the threads you can find many suggestions and tips on how to do it.

What you will need is a Lokar Aod cable and throttle linkage setup that will bolt up to the edelbrock (looks good and easy to adjust).

What I did (and got lucky doing it) was hold the throttle 3/4 open and set my TV cable there to start with. Then drove the truck and it seem to shift a little quick and after a few adjustments it seemed fine. I then put her on a trailer and carried to a buddy that rebuilds trannies and have him check it with a gauge. It checked good and no more adjustments have been made in over 7000 miles since last year.

As for the column shift, I went with a Ididit column (easy enough to put in) and bought a AOD shifter kit for it. It is a cable shift and it is a booger to install but I advise putting that on before you install the tranny in the truck as you will have to change out the lever in the trans for the new cable to hook up correctly.

Good luck and search the threads that is where you will find all the smart people with numbers, pressures, and theory applications and stuff. I just drank and then do it, then break down, learn from it, drank, and then drank some more.
I will vouch for the trailer to the tranny shop.. I got it close and drove it there.. 10 miles.. wiped out the tranny that fast... AOD behind a 5.0.
(using stock linkages). Use a pressure gauge for sure..

sam

Old 05-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Max E
Senior User
You will have pressure at idle and loose pressure as you go thru the gears. The Lokar comes with good instructions. I test drove first and it shifted fine. I still took it to the tranny guy for a final check. He said all was fine and I now have a 1000 miles on it and it works fine. He said and AOD is not a racing tranny and not very tough, so if you plan on get with it often it may not be your best choice. If like me and just show off once in awhile you'll be fine.
I get 17 around town and haven't taken a long trip but 50 and 50 back I got 20. I am also running a Mark VII rear end.
Max E
Hope you enjoy yours as much as I