Nova Scotia Join Chapter, Leader:

So what do you guys think of the new MVI rules?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 06:23 PM
rebel3.0
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what do you guys think of the new MVI rules?

See title lol

Old 05-05-2009, 08:06 AM
northeaster79
Elder User
what new rules rebel,I know mine didn't change any with the new changes being made,I only do inhouse work anyhow,and I am only allowed to do vehicles over 4500kgs.but I do have to go to some waste of time meeting at the community collage thursday night for a couple hours.should be another huge waste of time.I had to go to the one a couple years ago when they upped the price.it was just for cars and light trucks.as is this one thursday.but since the government still doesn't have a clue what there talking about,I will have to go and sit there at least for a few minutes.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:15 PM
rebel3.0
New User
We went last week ? or the week before to our meeting
The thing thats got me wound up is that all suspension parts have to be either a) Oem or b) engineer approved. Also the ride hight of the vehicle can not be past oem specs (lifted or lowered) unless inspected by a engineer,

Old 05-05-2009, 08:23 PM
rebel3.0
New User
right out of the revised manual

Old 05-07-2009, 07:52 AM
northeaster79
Elder User
well the hockey puck thing has been a no no for years,and for good reason,but its impossible for them to get this passed thats why its been put of for twelve months,try as they canadian goverment will,its still not yet a communist country.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:59 PM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
Yes, glad to hear the regulations are being postponed for a year.... hopefully now that there will be a consultive process and more people aware, it will not become what they were trying to make it....

Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 AM
northeaster79
Elder User
welcome ken.glad to have you here.I went to the meeting last week for a few minutes for the mvi,the day after they annonced on the news they had dropped the changes,I don't think people are completly aware of what they are trying to get passed.if it passed it would even be illegal to add a leaf front or back for any reason,add air bag or any other kind of helper.I can see there point in a way,there are some lifted trucks around here that have a little too much redneck engeneering in them,and probably aren't safe,but when you buy a $2000 manufactured lift kit,theres more technology in those then there is in your factory suspension,and should in my opinion never be questioned.
but these rigs you see around with stacked lift blocks,and spring spacers made out of whatever is on hand,and shackles extended with a couple feet of flat bar are guestionable.but I do know that any rcmp or police that pull you over wouldn't have the knowledge to tell either way.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:54 AM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
Yeah, I had to cancel an order for a 6" lift with one of the local shops.

I've decided to try and lift the X with OEM Ford stuff just in case. Gonna use heavier rated springs and taller blocks to hopefully get enough lift to fit my 35's. I found a guy in the states that manufactures spring brackets that look OEM but will give an additional 2-3" if the heavier springs don't do it. I doubt if the Compliance guys will be able to tell that it's not stock. The springs will have Ford stamped on them. The on;y thing they may get me on if the regs pass, would be the larger dia. tires. I think I would take that to court though....

Hopefully everything stays like it is.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:20 AM
northeaster79
Elder User
ken I wouldn't worry about lifting your truck,they will never be able to get that to pass,theres not enough man power to enforce it.they just need a hobby,other then being a waste of tax dollars.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 PM
WilleyB
Senior User
Talking

Some more of Rodney's crap. Ah well maybe it's Foley Melvin who is advising him.
Been busy for awhile because of the Motorhome, which is now at the Kenworth Dealer for the past week. It's been a rat's nest of problems this spring. I modified the steps (actually built a new set out of the two sets) to make it easier for my wife to get aboard. Then I discovered the dry rot when I went to mount them. I took it out on a run to Central Supply to get a sheet of 5/8 plywood and discovered the front left brakes were dragging a bit and an application of the brakes caused a violent jerk to the right because the left wasn't coming on at all. Along with that the cruise control didn't work. Probably corrosion on the plug wiring so after the rest is done I'll look at that.

MVI's are as much of a farce in this province as any other. Not very consistant and some just use the MVI as a money generator. Actually came across this a few times myself. In fact I looked at a car at the Highland Sq. that must have had a whole roll of duct tape patching the holes. What the rest was like I have no idea but it did have a current safety sticker.

Cheers
Willis

Old 05-15-2009, 08:56 AM
northeaster79
Elder User
as far as I'm concerned the DOT should have to do all the mvi's ,that would clear all the mechanics of the burdon of having to risk loosing your licence when they have road side checks.they have them all the time at the trenton connector intersection on abercrobie road.its a joke.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:33 PM
WilleyB
Senior User
that would clear all the mechanics of the burdon of having to risk loosing your licence when they have road side checks.they have them all the time at the trenton connector intersection on abercrobie road.its a joke.
It's no joke when someone loses his lively hood. I guess the point to be made is no matter what, it's sometimes a risky call even on a new vehicle. Let's face it they're mostly crap, few if any grease nipples. Then there's pressure from the boss to find something wrong. I've had that happen, actually it was quite funny.
I was told that something was wrong with the rear brakes on the motorhome, (I knew there wasn't anything serious I go over my vehicles before I take them in) so I told them to fix it. Then after a bit they said they couldn't lift it and to take it slsewhere. Then I took it over to Kenworth for a safety, told them I was told there was something was wrong with the rear brakes . Hmm they couldn't find anything wrong with them, so that's where it goes for everything since then.

I believe it has more to do with R MacD wanting everyone to buy a new car every 5 years. Must be for the tax money he needs to squander on stupidity. That's why DOT does the highway checks to get all the older cars off the road. I was in Trenton Ont., the DOT pulled a co workers car off the road. The car was in excellent shape, the fellow had everything repaired, a squeek, rattle or hic up, and in it went for repair. He sold it to another co worker who took it down to a garage and had it safetyed, It passed of course and was right back on the road again. I don't know about others but the last new one I bought was in 1975 because there's no way I could afford one now.

The buisness takes the money and the mechanic takes the rap. Never changes.

Cheers
Willis

Old 05-19-2009, 12:49 PM
northeaster79
Elder User
couldn't say it better myself willis,you take all your work to kennworth now?

Old 05-19-2009, 05:30 PM
WilleyB
Senior User
Well as far as I know they won't work on the engine (not diesel), but on that the simpler stuff I'll handle my self. Actually I'm glad I didn't do the brakes myself or I might not have caught the front shocks going bad.
I find them quite reasonable, new front shocks, hoses, pigtails, 2 front calipers, grease the slides on the rear discs check the differential and the transfer case $1,137 around $400+ was labor the rest for parts. Right now when I have time I'll have to get the cruise control working. I'm beginning to suspect the switch on the brake pedal the scan gauge will show that up if it's not working. The cruise was getting kind of iffy before putting it to bed for the Winter
But now I'm into the hard stuff (modifications) lot's of fun expected.

Cheers
Willis

Old 05-20-2009, 02:07 PM
northeaster79
Elder User
that doesn't sound too bad at all willis.highland ford is opening a truck shop there,and will be run by frank jr.might be worth while checking that out.

Quick Reply: So what do you guys think of the new MVI rules?