2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Help...yet another transmission issue!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:44 AM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help...yet another transmission issue!

Weather: cloudy & 60 Degrees F
Road Condition: damp
Vehicle: 2007 Expedition XLT 4X4
Mileage: 54495

Situation:
Driving down the road and the RSC light comes on then a picture of a wrench comes up and they alternate every 3 seconds. Seems that the tranny dropped out of gear and no longer had acceleration when the gas pedal is pressed. So I pulled over and put it in park shut the vehicle down waited 3 minutes and restarted the vehicle. The warning lights cleared and it seemed the vehicles transmission was back operating as normal. One mile down the road the issue happened again this time the check engine light came on, luckly I was in a commerial area and was able to coast into a parking lot.
I didn't want to press my luck so I called Ford roadside service to pick the vehicle and tow it to my Ford dealer. I purchased the extended warranty(75K) so it better be covered!

Has anyone had this happened to them or have any info regarding this issue (TSB?)

thanks for your help!

Old 05-04-2009, 10:31 AM
clearnetedm
Junior User
I don't think that is your tranny at fault. I read on another tread there are many sensors at the wheels and other locations that can fail casuing the RSC and traction control to get messed up. I suspect that is what happened here. They system might have thought you where lossing controll or slipping causing the engine to cut back. Something similar would happen if you tried to floor the gas when in snow, when the system is working correctly. That should be covered under warrenty for sure.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:48 PM
hjsimpson
Senior User
So the dealer has mine Expy since Monday....They cannot reproduce the issue, they have not done any work on it except to pull the codes and let the customer service techician drive it home.

The chances of the situation happening again while at the dealer is slim to none.

So the service manger said it could have been an electrical interference like a CB radio..thats what he told my wife...

Gotta love the customer service!

Sorry Ford.. this will be the last one..

Time to pick up the clunker!

Old 05-08-2009, 03:34 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What codes did he pull? It could have been a RSC fart. This has happned to both my 07 and 08 Expy. Only happened once on each vehicle.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:30 PM
hjsimpson
Senior User
I think there were 4 or 5 codes.. I will post them later tonight.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:42 PM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Originally Posted by hjsimpson
I think there were 4 or 5 codes.. I will post them later tonight.
ok.. here they are:

P2104
P2121
P2126
P2131

Also, this happened once before about a month ago but the check engine light did not come on.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:04 AM
l-m tech
Posting Guru
the codes are for your throttle by wire system.either the throttle pedal is having a issue or the throttle position sensor is having a issue

Old 05-15-2009, 08:56 AM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Unless they can reproduce the issue while it is in Fords hands they cannot work on it.

Unfortunately the service manager sent me back home with the truck with 37miles left to the tank.

Nothing was done except for pulling codes and driving all over creation.

Thanks Ford, thats the way to keep your customers coming back!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:40 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
I wouldn't worry too much unless it happens again. I think it was a glitch. Many have had the rsc system glitch once or twice.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:03 AM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Originally Posted by berry1234
I wouldn't worry too much unless it happens again. I think it was a glitch. Many have had the rsc system glitch once or twice.
Your probably right. It's just really dissappointing that when I picked up the truck they continued to tell me that Ford was nice enough to pick up the tab for the mechanics time and the rental vehicle and they(Ford) were the ones taking the hit...

Ummm hello?

I spent $2500 on a extended warranty...isn't that what its for?

Old 05-15-2009, 11:21 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hjsimpson
Your probably right. It's just really dissappointing that when I picked up the truck they continued to tell me that Ford was nice enough to pick up the tab for the mechanics time and the rental vehicle and they(Ford) were the ones taking the hit...

Ummm hello?

I spent $2500 on a extended warranty...isn't that what its for?
Wow, what an attitude from them? Pick up the tab? That would mean you took the truck in with no problems and wanted to burn through some of fords cash because you were bored.

And yeah, if you have more than 36K miles, that is EXACTLY what your warranty is for. Man the nerve.

Maybe try a different dealer.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:15 PM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Originally Posted by berry1234
Wow, what an attitude from them? Pick up the tab? That would mean you took the truck in with no problems and wanted to burn through some of fords cash because you were bored.

And yeah, if you have more than 36K miles, that is EXACTLY what your warranty is for. Man the nerve.

Maybe try a different dealer.
Yeah, I was bored, I felt the sudden need make my vehicle crap out on my commute to work and felt it would be cool to see it get towed away on a flatbed.

55k miles....and they closed the dealer closest to me me.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:48 PM
hjsimpson
Senior User
RSC Fault error

Well the issue arose twice in the last 2 weeks. I've also been documenting it with my iPhone by taking videos showing the cluster with the wrench and RSC lights, mileage and timestamping them. Every time it happens I thought it would be a good idea to call the dealer and let them note the event in my paperwork, even though they would not be able to do anything about it.

Come to find out the second time I called to let them know I spoke with another service advisor and he said I'm not sure how they would make a note without creating a trouble ticket...so does that mean the first time I notified them they didnt actually do anything?

Anyhow, I'm officially fed up with this vehicle.. last time I brought it in for the issue it had 54k(May), now it has 62K and I have a warranty till 75k. STILL NO SATISFACTION!

I called Ford directly yesterday(thurs) and now I should be recieving a call from my service manager from my local dealer.

================================================== ========
From Fordvehicles.com

Your complete satisfaction is of primary importance to us. Should you ever have questions or comments about your Ford vehicle, we suggest you follow these steps so your concerns can be addressed as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Contact the sales representative or service advisor at your local dealership. To find Ford dealership contact information,visit the dealer locator. CHECK!

If your inquiry or concern remains unresolved, contact the sales manager or service manager at the dealership. CHECK!

If your inquiry or concern cannot be resolved at the dealership level, or for other purposes please select a topic below to e-mail us your comments or questions. If you live outside the U.S. or Canada, please visit the Ford Global site to find your local contact information." CHECK!

================================================== ========

I hate for the situation to get this far and was hoping that it could be resolved locally at the dealer but since the situation doesn't happen frequently and the dealer can't reproduce the problem, I feel like I'm going around in circles!

If any one else is having this issue please let me know.

I will post the videos on youtube that I have taken the last two times the error occured when I get back home.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:53 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Not sure if this applies.

TSB 08-14-2

07/21/08
STABILITY/TRACTION CONTROL INDICATOR -
SLIDING-CAR ICON-ON OR FLASHING - DTC C1996
OR SENSITIVE ESC/RSC ACTIVATION NO CODES

FORD:
2007-2008 Expedition

LINCOLN:
2007-2008 Navigator

ISSUE
Some 2007-2008 Expedition and Navigator vehicles equipped with electronic stability control (ESC)/roll stability control (RSC) may exhibit the stability/traction control indicator "sliding-car icon" on or flashing with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) C1996 or sensitive ESC/RSC activation with no codes.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE EVALUATION PROCEDURE

Determine if this procedure applies by answering the following questions:
1. Was the customer pulling a trailer when the concern occurred?

a. No, go to question 2.

b. Yes, do not proceed with this procedure. Vehicles pulling heavy trailers have the possibility to have a sensitive activation or DTC C1996. This is a normal characteristic and no corrective action needed.

2. Was the stability/traction control indicator "sliding-car icon" on or flashing during the concern?

a. No, do not proceed with this procedure and refer to normal workshop manual diagnostics.

b. Yes, proceed to question 3.

3. Did the concern occur during acceleration?

a. Yes, proceed to question 4.

b. If no, go to question 5.

4. Test drive the vehicle on curves and/or bumpy roads. Monitor all four wheel speed sensors.

^ Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor (LF_WSPD).

^ Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor (RL_WSPD).

^ Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor (LR_WSPD).

^ Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor (RR_WSPD).

^ Are the values similar +/- 6 MPH (10 Km/h)?

a. No, they vary, proceed to Diagnostic Service Procedure Step 5.

b. Yes, go to question 5.

5. Has this concern occurred more than once?

a. Yes, go to question 6.

b. No, go to Diagnostic Service Procedure Step 1.

6. Has the Stability Control Sensor Cluster been previously replaced?

a. Yes, go to Diagnostic Service Procedure Step 6.

b. No, go to question 7.

7. Did the activation occur in less than 2 minutes after starting and driving the vehicle?

a. Yes, go to Diagnostic Service Procedure Step 6.

b. If no, go to Diagnostic Service Procedure Step 1.

DIAGNOSTIC SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Are after market accessories installed?

a. Yes, repair sources of vibration (sub-woofer, modified center console). Proceed to Step 2.

b. No, proceed to Step 2.

2. Steering wheel angle (SWA) sensor inspection.

a. Visually inspect the optical tone ring for contamination or debris.

(1) Clean as necessary.

b. Inspect the SWA connector for looseness. Reconnect as necessary.

(1) Push, click, and pull to verify a good connection.

c. Visually inspect around the area of the steering column/tone ring for signs of light entering the cabin, shining through the windshield between the defroster grill and instrument panel (IP). Defroster grill variation may allow for slight gaps, enough to leak light.

(1) Use IP colored foam to block any gaps (tape not recommended as it may loosen and fall off).

(2) If no problems found with the SWA system, proceed to Step 3.

3. Inspect mounting/torque of the bolts holding the stability control sensor cluster in position.

a. Look for looseness of bolts or distortion of the sheet metal.

b. Check the connector (pin push outs) and wiring (chafe) to the stability control sensor cluster.

c. If no problems found with the stability control sensor cluster proceed to Step 4.

4. Start engine and keep vehicle at a stand still. Monitor the YAW rate PID value for the Stability Control Sensor Cluster. Expected values: +/- 2.0 d/s YAW.

a. If not within specification, replace the Stability Control Sensor Cluster per the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 206-09: Vehicle Dynamic Systems.

b. If within specification, go to Step 5.

5. Refer to Symptom Chart in the WSM, Section 206-09: Vehicle Dynamic Systems: Unintended ABS activation, ABS too sensitive, ABS activates on a normal stop.

a. If no problem found with the base brakes or wheel speed sensors, proceed to Step 6.

6. If all steps above have no concern or are repaired and concern still exhibited, or you have been previously directed to this step, replace the ABS module per the WSM, Section 206-09: Vehicle Dynamic Systems.

TSB 08-20-8

10/13/08
STEERING WHEEL ANGLE CIRCUIT AND/OR SIGNAL
FAILURE - C1277-C1278 - BUILT ON/OR BEFORE
4/10/2008

FORD:
2007-2008 Expedition

LINCOLN:
2007-2008 Navigator

This article supersedes TSB 08-10-3 to update the Part List and Service procedure.
ISSUE
Some 2007-2008 Expedition and Navigator vehicles built on or before 4/10/2008 may exhibit a traction control light (TCL) on with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) C1277 and/or C1278 (steering wheel angle 1 and 2 circuit failure and/or signal faulted).

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Check to see if the steering wheel rotation (SWR) sensor wiring near the connector has come in contact with or is touching the brake pedal bracket. Vibration of the harness may cause interruption in the SWR signal.

a. If yes, go to Step 2.

b. If no, do not continue with this procedure. Refer to normal diagnosis in the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 206-09.

2. Repair any chafing that may have occurred.

3. Move the harness towards the driver's side of the vehicle and tuck in front of the 14401 harness above the steering column. Use a tie strap to secure in place.

4. Replace the SWR sensor following WSM, Section 206-09.

Parts Block
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:09 PM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Maybe... but I would have thought that when the vehicle was towed to the dealer for the issue they would have checked that TSB...

Looks like TSB says its from 07/08

Would this issue fall under dealer ignorance?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help...yet another transmission issue!